Half Moon Cay - You DO need cash

Caribbophile

In Carnival's literature - and reiterated by the Guest Services desk - they claim that since Half Moon Cay is their private island you just need your Sign & Sail card on the island, cash not necessary. It turns out one of the stores over there is a T shirt shop owned by locals and they accept cash only. Naturally that was the store where I found things I wanted and couldn't buy them. Carnival probably realizes people will instead have to patronize only their shops because they won't want to bother taking the tender back to get cash when they had to wait a long time to get the tender over in the first place. There was also a beach vendor who accepted cash only so it's a good idea to have some cash with you despite what Carnival tells you.

on all the cruise-owned private islands we've been to, the food and non alcoholic drinks are free ... for alcoholic beverages you can use your sail & sign card ...

but... souvenir vendors need to be paid in cash.. These are not cruise-owned establishments.

Not sure about Half Moon Cay (never been too), but Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's Island) there were vendors that required cash...so I'd bring maybe $10-20, if Half Moon Cay is set up the same. Just for souveniors, anything ship related you can use your card for...

Archived