How does P&O compare to other cruise lines?

Can anyone tell me how P&O compares to the other cruise lines of the same type (Carnival, RCI, Princess, etc.)...especially in terms of food in the main dining room and service.

Thanks!

This is all subjective. You will always get differing views from different people. We have found P&O probably not the best but not the worst with regards to food. Service on all ships we have been on was about the same - P&O Princess, NCL and Star - even Costa. The food on Costa was not that great - a lot of seafood dishes that didn't appeal but I don't really care as long as I don't have to cook or clean up. mummsie :D

P&O are not to bad for the price They can very good and then it can be very hit and miss depends on who is in charge/odering at the time I think,

The shows are much the same on most cruise lines,just some are way better and more thought goes into the shows unlike P&O shows.

I do think that princess are better for the shows then P&O and Celebrity Summit was the best ship I have been on for food and shows and weel to cruise on.

Really all the companies offer a very similar product at the end of the day, going between P&O to Princess to RCI you notice the basics are done almost identical it's just the little extras you get with Princess like the grill, pizzeria, chocs on pillow etc. I've even noticed P&O staff working on a later Princess cruise.

So food and service wise, they are all almost identical, however, generally speaking the service is slightly better on Princess.

I haven't tried the new P&O menus yet but they really look like they are down my alley. (check out the online samples on P&O website)

P&O are far more family friendly and value for money then any of the other lines, they now include gratuities in your total cruise price which is deceptive at making other lines look cheaper.

As far as activities in the day and entertainment goes P&O are best adapted for Australians, they usually have top notch comedians which Aussies love which I've noticed other lines really lack.

If you are energetic, younger years, like having a good time and a laugh you won't go wrong with P&O.

If you are more mature aged or want something really lay back and less activites/entertainment go Princess.

If you want a compromise between the two of them then I'd probably say RCI.

P&O also do far better refurbs then any other companies e.g. the dome and waterfront restaurant, yet at the same time they have the oldest and less amenitity filled ships.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Can anyone tell me how P&O compares to the other cruise lines of the same type (Carnival, RCI, Princess, etc.)...especially in terms of food in the main dining room and service.

Thanks!

We have cruised with P & O (Pacific Dawn) and RCI (Rhapsody) - Rhapsody wins easily, especially in terms of food and service.

Thanks for all of the comments/info!

My husband and I are thinking of doing an Australian and/or New Zealand trip in the future. Any suggestions for us would be appreciated!! :)

P&O Australia have completely different ships to what you have travelled on and I can only anticipate that if the ship counts you will be less than pleased. And will complain bitterly afterwards.

We can't get the variety of cheap cruises you can get in this region and hence NZ's and Aussies sail on them but if we could get the prices you get on Princess and Celebrity etc (they win hands down) we'd be on them.

We have only just booked another cruise on Pacific Sun- (P&O Australia's oldest ship -1986- and it certainly shows)

We are going to do Fremantle - Bali next year- 12 nighter - August 30th- 11th September.

The cruise is a good price- About NZ $2100 each for 12 nights which is cheaper than our 10 night cruise from Auckland to the islands last year.

We have booked Main deck FF category Outside window.

However, if we fly to the USA we can get really cheap cruises on much newer and nicer ships with Carnival.

Thanks for all of the comments/info!

My husband and I are thinking of doing an Australian and/or New Zealand trip in the future. Any suggestions for us would be appreciated!! :)

My top suggestion would be the Diamond Princess...the ship and its facilities are first rate and as far as service is concerned you get the true "Princess Experience".

A great trip.

Sue

Ditto. My Mum in law went on the Diamond Princess in Dec'09 on that itinary and it was fantastic!

That's how I got involved in cruising and from then on I did a lot of researching. The NZ/OZ itinary was not suitable for me, as wanted to go to South Pacific Islands. In the end I choose the Dawn Princess, because I felt that we would be guaranteed fabulous food and service. And as a bonus :D found out after my booking that a similar P & O cruise would have cost me more. Hope this is of help to you.

I'm under the impression now that you are coming from overseas to do an Australian cruise?

In that case, P&O might not be your idea of cruising and you could feel let down by service and food ( in comparrison to what I've heard of US liners), it's a real layback Aussie product, that's adapted and appeals really well to Australians.

If you want the real aussie experience then go for it, but if you're after a cruise up to scratch with what you would get back home in service and food I would probably look at a Radiance/Rhapsody cruise here, after all they are still US ships that just come here for our holiday peak season.

P&O would probably be a shock after going on the bohemoth ships around the rest of the world, unless you don't mind smaller, older and cosier ships.

Archived