...Ask What You Can Do for Seabourn

writer100

Not sure, but maybe because several suggestions to improve Seabourn actually exist now, and have existed for many many years? (i.e. special meals in the mdr, being able to host parties for crew etc., having passengers give lectures etc..)

Host Dan

Touche' Host Dan :)

Not sure, but maybe because several suggestions to improve Seabourn actually exist now, and have existed for many many years? (i.e. special meals in the mdr, being able to host parties for crew etc., having passengers give lectures etc..)

Host Dan

With little sign of implementation in my experience lately, when perhaps they are needed more than ever.

But naturally you are much better placed to judge than most.

And the other more innovative suggestions?

I am more than happy to distill them for those who have become bored. But perhaps that would be nugatory effort in view of the apparent apathy.

Now about the colour to paint our toenails...

Touche' Host Dan :)

I was not aware that I was in a fencing match with Dan. Or indeed that we were on opposite sides. This is a shock as all I have ever wanted was to be positive and constructive for the greater good of Seabourn. As they say, life is a continuing learning process.

MARIANH

We're all on the same side here ~but as Dan said "most of the suggestions have been in place for many years" ~ all but the free laundry!:eek: I can not count the hosted special dinner (and luncheon)tables I've had or have been an invited guest ~by passengers.

As to the Crew ~next time you're aboard visit with the crew Purser ~the Staff and Crew have a whirlwind of parties, activities, contests, etc., etc (some hosted by we Guest's) weekly.

We've had passenger lectures in the show lounge ~Norman Fisher (UK) use to present his travelogs on the Pride TA crossings. I've even joined the Ex. Chef and we've had cooking demos in the dining room. I remember a guest from Santa Barbara playing the piano in the Constellation Lounge each afternoon for the guests enjoyment.

I believe we're all on the 'same page' as to improving Seabourn ~

when we have thoughts and ideas as to Seabourn's improvement, we do need to post here ~or better yet contact Blue Lagoon Drive.

Now.....about that free laundry ???

Martita B.

Host Dan

Dan, you obviously know a great deal more about this than we do. Personally, I'm not interesting in underwriting a party for crew. It's too detached for me. But this is the first I've heard of it.

As to passengers participating on board, the chap who volunteered to give his talk on the Legend told me he had made the same offer elsewhere on Seabourn and been rebuffed out of hand. Erik de Gray told me that no one else had ever asked for such an opportunity--presumably referring to Seabourn ships he had been on. This obviously excludes celebs who trade a cruise for a performance or lecture.

As to custom meals--sure, you can order Dover sole. Or request an Indian meal as has been noted in a cc review. But I have never seen any references to the sort of historic banquet re-creation that I referred to. Maybe its a terrible idea. Maybe it is too complicated. or too expensive. Maybe no one likes the idea. That's fine. It's simply part of the process of what a focus group is. But to be clear, I have never heard of anything like what I was suggesting being held on a Seabourn ship. I'm not even sure it would be something I would enjoy personally. But it might (or might not) be one of the ways in which you generate buzz. Another way of saying "only on Seabourn."

I try and do my best for Seabourn:

1. Sailing usually 2x a year or as often as I can

2. Recommending friends to sail on Seabourn

3. To give honest opinions of the line and my experiences, most of which have been outstanding and the others, generally too trivial to matter.

And that's that.

Indeed you do. We only sail once a year--my in-house commander is still lubbing the land--and I wish everyone had your sense of civility. The thing is, a lot of people see Seabourn only as a commercial endeavor. Which it is. But others see it (also?) as a highly civilized private club, with a history which is valued and yes, a set of traditions. In our long-winded way, I think we're trying to maintain the latter and not surrender (entirely) to the former.

It's simply part of the process of what a focus group is.

Writer100 -I thought that the idea of a CC focus group on board each ship was a sensible and easy way of capturing the views of experienced and committed Seabourners. As were many of the other kites we have flown together. I was surprised therefore by the contention that most of the proposals were already in place - as I think were you. That had not been my experience on recent cruises. Perhaps for my part I have not articulated the concepts sufficiently well to make them attractive to or understood by veteran Seabourners. Or it could be that they have a low boredom threshold. That is very disappointing and no doubt entirely my own fault. Of course there may be other interpretations but it would be wrong of me to speculate and outwith my non confrontational approach to life.

Anyhow, could I say that it has been a pleasure to share ideas between us in such an amicable and at times humorous fashion. Maybe there will be further opportunities in the future. But for the present I intend to rest my pen ( finger actually) and perhaps paint my nails in solidarity with the contributers to the posh frocks thread. May I bid you a very good evening.

With Best Regards

writer100

I agree as to Seabourn being a special private club ~I'm afraid some of the "special" is slowly fading away ~:cool: I'm just thankful I knew it 'way back when' ~

You mentioned historic banquets ~I've attended three (on the Pride)

These were held in the Constellation Lounge ~ certainly no easy task. One, a lovely lady from the UK hosted the dinner ~twice, a special Seabourn dinner party ~ I would so love for these wonderful party events could/would return. I wish our "tea dancing" would return during the Galley Market Luncheon ~truly delightful to waltz during luncheon ~

Changes, changes ~~ that's life!:confused: Some I like, most I do not.

MB

Well the touche' bit was a bit much, as thats not what I intended. My post was not to stir anything up, actually the contrary. My point was that alot of veteran CC members and SB sailors have seen many of these ideas implemented in the past. Obviously they were good ideas, or they wouldn't have been implemented. Anyway, my only comment was meant to say "lets hear something that Seabourn hasn't tried or implemented!"

Host Dan

>"...thought that the idea of a CC focus group on board each ship was a sensible and easy way of capturing the views of experienced and committed Seabourners."

I think this is an absurd idea. That's what the cruise evaluation forms are for. And, yes, they are not well done, but we do get personalized stationary to add comments.

Well the touche' bit was a bit much, as thats not what I intended. My post was not to stir anything up, actually the contrary. My point was that alot of veteran CC members and SB sailors have seen many of these ideas implemented in the past. Obviously they were good ideas, or they wouldn't have been implemented. Anyway, my only comment was meant to say "lets hear something that Seabourn hasn't tried or implemented!"

Host Dan

I have retired but could not resist replying. Thank you for the clarification. So how about focus groups on board led by experienced CC contributors. If nothing more they will capture the current mood.

>"...thought that the idea of a CC focus group on board each ship was a sensible and easy way of capturing the views of experienced and committed Seabourners."

I think this is an absurd idea. That's what the cruise evaluation forms are for. And, yes, they are not well done, but we do get personalized stationary to add comments.

That is a provocative and uncharitable response and outwith the posting rules. I trust it will be removed from the thread. You are entitled to your opinion but not free to rubbish the views of others.

That is a provocative and uncharitable response and outwith the posting rules. I trust it will be removed from the thread. You are entitled to your opinion but not free to rubbish the views of others.

I thought the idea was to give our view...am I mistaken??????:eek:

The forcus group I joined many years ago meets in the Club each evening a'round 7'ish ~we sit in the far right "fishbowl" ~:confused:

We have oddles of fun and look forward to meeting and discussing our day on Seabourn!

Martita B.

writer100

I agree as to Seabourn being a special private club ~I'm afraid some of the "special" is slowly fading away ~:cool: I'm just thankful I knew it 'way back when' ~

You mentioned historic banquets ~I've attended three (on the Pride)

These were held in the Constellation Lounge ~ certainly no easy task. One, a lovely lady from the UK hosted the dinner ~twice, a special Seabourn dinner party ~ I would so love for these wonderful party events could/would return. I wish our "tea dancing" would return during the Galley Market Luncheon ~truly delightful to waltz during luncheon ~

Changes, changes ~~ that's life!:confused: Some I like, most I do not.

MB

Marrtita, could you amplify the "historic banquets" you referenced above? They sound interesting, but I am not sure we are we talking about the same kind of event.

Thank you.

I try and do my best for Seabourn:

1. Sailing usually 2x a year or as often as I can

2. Recommending friends to sail on Seabourn

3. To give honest opinions of the line and my experiences, most of which have been outstanding and the others, generally too trivial to matter.

And that's that.

Having met you, I am fully aware of just how hard you try. So please keep up the good work. However, and just for clarification could I refer you to your two posts on 18 June 2010 ( extracts below) and respectfully ask if these fall into the trivial category or indeed were they serious, albeit perhaps an aberration not experienced on other Seabourn cruises. I have to say that my experience on two recent cruises was that the restaurant and in room service was outstanding (as was most everything else on the cruise). A fact I duly recorded on our comments form. The only point I am trying to make is that experiences and perceptions vary and are worth sharing, particularly at the time they happen so that collective action can be taken should that be warranted. An on board focus group could be one vehicle for doing this in a concerted and sensitive fashion. But of course there are other options for seeking resolution of problems which I guess you will have pursued. Please take this comment in the spirit of goodwill in which it is offered- I have no desire to offend.

Extract from JaneBP June18 posts:

"Dining room service quite unacceptable to the point we stopped dining there and in the Collonade opting for restaurant 2 or room service (which was not without its problems)"

and

"We never got the right order and the phone conversation and language skills of the staff taking the order left a great deal to be desired"

Yes, we found the Odyssey dining experience left much to be desired and I did comment on the evaluation as well as speaking to the HM and Maitre d'. I chalked it up to growing pains and the staff, as LOTS had a much better room service experience after ours, with different staff. We worked around these issues, and had a good chuckle at some of the mistakes. The lapses were always corrected if it was important, such as two raw eggs instead of boiled. I much prefer the little sisters, but am looking forward to the Sojourn in '11.

Another venue for voicing issues has been the Captain's Q&A I have experienced on crossings. (Guess one can only schedule napkin folding so often.)

Perhaps the lavish Pride 'banquets' I've attended are not what you're suggesting ~these dressy, elaborate dinners, as I mentioned, were held in the Constellation Lounge ~cocktails followed by a seated dinner ~set menu. I'm guessing as to number of dinner guests as 24 or so. Food, of course, delicious ~lots & lots of beautiful flower arrangements, etc. The dinner event hosted by my friend from England was simply to 'treat' her shipmates ~the other two were hosted by Seabourn to honor guests.

These dinner's were very festive and special ~~I think these'banquets' probably can not be held on the larger ships. But on the 'lit Sister's we certainly enjoyed the evenings. :p

MB

Perhaps the lavish Pride 'banquets' I've attended are not what you're suggesting ~these dressy, elaborate dinners, as I mentioned, were held in the Constellation Lounge ~cocktails followed by a seated dinner ~set menu. I'm guessing as to number of dinner guests as 24 or so. Food, of course, delicious ~lots & lots of beautiful flower arrangements, etc. The dinner event hosted by my friend from England was simply to 'treat' her shipmates ~the other two were hosted by Seabourn to honor guests.

These dinner's were very festive and special ~~I think these'banquets' probably can not be held on the larger ships. But on the 'lit Sister's we certainly enjoyed the evenings. :p

MB

The events you reference were clearly memorable and different from the mdr by reason of location and menu. And the guest list--as a little society-- conferred a sense of difference, too. But that's not at all what I was describing.

Washington, London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna--even Moscow--have been the scene of dinners which celebrate the arrival of a visiting president or monarch. Those dinners, multi-course, with matched wines, are heralded by a menu which celebrates and explains menu items in terms of national heritage. And there is a sense of re-living history when you eat (an echo) of what the Queen served to a visiting American President. Or what the White House served to a visiting Head of State. You can go back as far as Napoleon, or keep to the 21st century. Certainly a formal evening--even I would wear a tux for this one--and an historical journey as well as a culinary one. Seems like something to offer as an option for frequent SB cruisers at a certain level; to offer for a price to others who want to enjoy the experience but don't want to wait for the requisite nights afloat, or even to do in the mdr at a single seating if that's possible. I have seen versions of this, and I assure you that even the most jaded business tycoons regard it as an extraordinary event. You can start with cocktails--including signature ones like French 75's, cuba libres, moscow mules and various other national sounding drinks. (My sense of humor intrudes.) And you can also have dancing during and after. If one wishes, you can include all or part of the welcome remarks offered by the host country. So, a slightly theatrical event, as well as a splendid meal.

Archived