Boarding at Wharf 5

sharri34

Hi Guys :)

I have been reading through this board like a crazy person, and I was wondering if anyone knows how boarding at Wharf 5 is going? I read on a thread that they are now giving out designated boarding times? So does this mean that I can no longer get to the Wharf at like 10:30 and get a boarding number? Or can I still do this??

I hope this post is making sense :p Thanks again for all your help guys, wouldn't know what to do (How to pass the time at work) without you guys :)

Hi Guys :)

I have been reading through this board like a crazy person, and I was wondering if anyone knows how boarding at Wharf 5 is going? I read on a thread that they are now giving out designated boarding times? So does this mean that I can no longer get to the Wharf at like 10:30 and get a boarding number? Or can I still do this??

I hope this post is making sense :p Thanks again for all your help guys, wouldn't know what to do (How to pass the time at work) without you guys :)

That is a question I would like to know the answer to as well Sharri.

We leave from there in 39 days and at this stage we are going to arrive at around 10.30 am and hope to able to get a low boarding pass number....

Hi,

We are boarding Pacific Jewel tomorrow and we received an sms a couple of days ago advising to ring (I can't think of the number) and it stated that Deck 11 (& I think suites) will board at 12:30, Deck 10 will board at 1pm, Deck 9 will board at 1:30pm, etc.

I hope this helps. :)

I wonder if they are fixed times. That would mean some people are on board for lunch while others arent. I dont know if that is a fair situation. We like to get down to check in quite early and enjoy the lunch that is put on as well. We like to make the most of it. I might give P&O a call and see what they say.

Just wanted to also add that we used to be able to board starting at about 11.30-12 depending on what else was happening. We are on deck 10 so for us it isnt a huge issue for us.

is this something new for p&o boarding at different times and i hope its not for princess as we get priority boarding

p&o should get their act together and give their passengers the same perks as princess

rkmw

That system is pretty much a guaranteed failure, yeah sure people are going to arrive when they are meant to, everyone will still arrive in the same patterns as before with many going early and most right in time for embarkation.

What happens with people who have flights, transfers etc. Can't just expect them to sit around and watch other people lob up and jump straight on.

Don't try and fix what isn't broken in my opinion, keep the old system :)

Even if the new port doesn't have the same faciliities as the old one, surely they can compromise or have something sorted out.

I'm on Deck 10...But I'll still try to get there by 10:30 and see if they'll let me on :p I guess the worst they can do is say no and I'll have to wonder around Darling Harbour for a bit (No complaining here:D) But would be good if I could get on early :)

I wonder if they are fixed times. That would mean some people are on board for lunch while others arent. I dont know if that is a fair situation. We like to get down to check in quite early and enjoy the lunch that is put on as well. We like to make the most of it. I might give P&O a call and see what they say.

Just wanted to also add that we used to be able to board starting at about 11.30-12 depending on what else was happening. We are on deck 10 so for us it isnt a huge issue for us.

We plan to arrive at 10.30 am & hope to board as we have always done in the past. Maybe P&O hopes to reduce the amount of food required for lunch...after all they don't even advertise that lunch is available on the first day. Maybe more cost cutting???

I certainly agree that there should be some boarding benefits for suite passengers, we were fortunate to have priority boarding when we cruised on the Virgo but we paid a lot for this.

This could indeed cause issues for those travelling with connections as Cruisin-M has mentioned.

I will follow this post with interest, please keep us informed.

We went down to Wharf 5 to check the situation out. It is a great little temporary set up. Plenty of seating large space and contrary to what it says above passengers are given boarding numbers based on when they check in rather than what deck they are on. My guess is that they have told people these times hoping they wont turn up until just before the allocated time but if you turn up earlier they checking you in as per usual.

HTH someone.

Megan

Thanks for going down and checking it out for us Megan!!!!:D

We also hope to get down there about 10.30am and the thought of waiting a 3-4 hours for boarding.... were are on deck5 for our next cruise....wasn't very appealing..:rolleyes:

Marg I was trying to get a feel for what was going on and trying to read peoples embarkation numbers as they were coming out of line but I had to end up asking someone. I was determined to get to the bottom of it.

Megan

I did not find this system to bad cause we got down there at about 12 ish and we had 2 wait for 2 we checked in and sat around and spoke.

But i assumed they where doing this because of the gastro outbreak on the cruise before but maybe this is a new thing for them we will soon find out.

Marg I was trying to get a feel for what was going on and trying to read peoples embarkation numbers as they were coming out of line but I had to end up asking someone. I was determined to get to the bottom of it.

Megan

Thanks Megan for going to all that effort :)

• 3 weeks later...

Attached is the link to a thread I started for Pacific Jewel photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250769

The first post includes a link to my facebook album of PJ photos which includes a few of the car park and marquee from different angles including from the ship. There is also a couple of photos from inside the marquee.

We sailed on Pacific Jewel 28th July-7th Aug.

We were given 12.30am boarding time, however we got to Wharf 5 at around 10.45. Bags were taken straight away, the lines to check in were not very long and we got through the check in process pretty quickly. We were sitting in the boarding area all checked in by 11am. We had Boarding Ticket 9 I think.

They started boarding priority passengers shortly after that and then ticket order numbers. Again we didn't have to wait too long and I think we were on boad the ship by 11.45am.

I think as another poster suggested, they are giving the boarding times to passengers to stagger the traffic coming into of the building, so that no one has to wait too long to get luggage checked in, or wait to long at checkin line. Boarding ticket numbers were given in the order you arrived (apart from mini-suite priorities).

Hope this clarifies things further for others.

Archived