sea conditions

Alspin95

Lisa, you just don't know wht the swells are going to be like, or the winds.......I've been a different times of the year and at times it has been smooth as glass and other times - like our just finished trip - the swells were big, the wind strong, and I got sick.

I had sea bands and Bonine, as well as ginger. Despite taking two Bonine before leaving Rangiroa for Bora Bora, I still felt sick - not seasick, but just sick.

I also had a bad bout of vertigo a few days after coming home - kept me in bed for 24 hours. I think it was related to the trip (possibly water getting in the inner ear passage), or the endless plane ride back home. In any event, it will be a long time before I want to take another sea voyage OR a long flight.

Lisa, yes, it would help to know which itinerary you are on.

I agree that the seas in general are unpredictable, but the opportunity for "big" seas are less on the 7-day Societies itinerary. But in fact most of the bad weather we have experienced has been on this itinerary, in May or June. We had large swells heading out of the Bora Bora lagoon on one trip, and a storm once between Taha'a and Bora Bora. Our one Marquesas adventure, which plenty of open-water sailing was like glass most of the time, in December. So it's unpredictable.

I am very prone to sea sickness and have never been seasick on the PG. I always bring Bonine just in case however, and sometimes take it for a day or two just until I get my sea legs. I have seen seasick people onboard, despite medication and sea bands. Some people swear by some form of patch.

Lisa, yes, it would help to know which itinerary you are on.

I agree that the seas in general are unpredictable, but the opportunity for "big" seas are less on the 7-day Societies itinerary. But in fact most of the bad weather we have experienced has been on this itinerary, in May or June. We had large swells heading out of the Bora Bora lagoon on one trip, and a storm once between Taha'a and Bora Bora. Our one Marquesas adventure, which plenty of open-water sailing was like glass most of the time, in December. So it's unpredictable.

I am very prone to sea sickness and have never been seasick on the PG. I always bring Bonine just in case however, and sometimes take it for a day or two just until I get my sea legs. I have seen seasick people onboard, despite medication and sea bands. Some people swear by some form of patch.

I would highly recommend anyone heading south obtain a prescription from their physician for Scopolamine.Each patch lasts for three days and are extremely effective.There are virtually no side effects and they are much stronger than over the counter substitutes.

I would highly recommend anyone heading south obtain a prescription from their physician for Scopolamine.Each patch lasts for three days and are extremely effective.There are virtually no side effects and they are much stronger than over the counter substitutes.

I also like the Scopolamine patches. They don't make me sleepy at all, but they do give me rather bad cotton-mouth (not a problem on an all-inclusive sailing!:o). I have heard that rarely some have had slightly more severe reactions. Consult your doctor.

I think there are two types of scope patches, but I don't know the details. I know with the older type you can't drink, which is a major downer for most, especially on a cruise. But there's another type, which my friends wore while in Antartica, and they were fine, and got sloshed to their hearts content, but not sick.

Scopolamine patches are great! I used them on our carribbean cruise couple yrs ago. The only side affects are yes, dry mouth and also blurry vision when u're reading something close up (just for a day or so). I had trouble reading the menu during one dinner!

I think there are two types of scope patches, but I don't know the details. I know with the older type you can't drink, which is a major downer for most, especially on a cruise. But there's another type, which my friends wore while in Antartica, and they were fine, and got sloshed to their hearts content, but not sick.

No trouble with alcohol consumption!I believe the current "patch" is the only patch now available.They come in a box of four (12 days dosage).I'm stocking up for my honey and I for our upcoming Hawaii trip.They are very reasonable with insurance or about $15 each without.Worth every penny!:)

They are also available aboard the ship,however,you must pay approximately $100.00 doctors visit plus whatever they charge per patch.

Unfortunately,there were quite a view guests who had to visit the doctor because they didn't plan in advance for the 5/22/10 sailing.

Do be careful with the scopalimine patch. In addition to blurred vision and dry mouth, they can also cause halucinations. Truly. I used it once many years ago, and it was a horrible experience. I would say, discuss it with your doctor......some of us are just going to be very susceptable to motion and almost nothing will help.

Having said that, I have had a good time on most of my sea voyages. Its just those few days or hours that you are NOT fine that do stick in the mind.....

There is an electronic pressure/point device that looks like a watch. Same principle as sea bands, but it releases an electronic stimulus to the pressure point that some people swear by. You can also dial it up or down. Some people swear by it. I would try that before attempting the patch, but thats just me.....

Do be careful with the scopalimine patch. In addition to blurred vision and dry mouth, they can also cause halucinations. Truly. I used it once many years ago, and it was a horrible experience. I would say, discuss it with your doctor......some of us are just going to be very susceptable to motion and almost nothing will help.

Having said that, I have had a good time on most of my sea voyages. Its just those few days or hours that you are NOT fine that do stick in the mind.....

There is an electronic pressure/point device that looks like a watch. Same principle as sea bands, but it releases an electronic stimulus to the pressure point that some people swear by. You can also dial it up or down. Some people swear by it. I would try that before attempting the patch, but thats just me.....

Many years ago,as you have mentioned,the "patch" was not the patch it is today!

Please do not discourage others with your specific personal experience.

If they were as bad as you proclaim,they wouldn't be available.And yes,folks may consult with their physician.BTW,the devices worn on the wrist cost $125.00-$150.00 each!I'm sure they work great in 30ft.-40ft. seas at the bow of the ship...just dial your comfort.:D

.....Please do not discourage others with your specific personal experience. If they were as bad as you proclaim,they wouldn't be available.And yes,folks may consult with their physician....

Similarly, you should not discourage people from sharing their own experiences (especially when they happen to be 100% factually correct). Hallucinations can rarely occur, in addition to a variety of other side effects.

I would suggest people who are new to the patch try it pre-cruise so they can see how / if it effects them. And just so you know Tom, yes I am a doctor.

Scopalamine patch side-effects:

"The most common side effect experienced by people using Transderm Scōp is dryness of the mouth. This occurs in about two thirds of the people. A less frequent side effect is drowsiness, which occurs in less than one sixth of the people. Temporary blurring of vision and dilation (widening) of the pupils may occur, especially if the drug is on your hands and comes in contact with the eyes. On infrequent occasions, disorientation, memory disturbances, dizziness, restlessness, HALLUCINATIONS, confusion, difficulty urinating, skin rashes or redness, temporary changes in heart rate such as palpitations, dry itchy, or reddened whites of the eyes, and eye pain have been reported."

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

Similarly, you should not discourage people from sharing their own experiences (especially when they happen to be 100% factually correct). Hallucinations can rarely occur, in addition to a variety of other side effects.

I would suggest people who are new to the patch try it pre-cruise so they can see how / if it effects them. And just so you know Tom, yes I am a doctor.

Scopalamine patch side-effects:

"The most common side effect experienced by people using Transderm Scōp is dryness of the mouth. This occurs in about two thirds of the people. A less frequent side effect is drowsiness, which occurs in less than one sixth of the people. Temporary blurring of vision and dilation (widening) of the pupils may occur, especially if the drug is on your hands and comes in contact with the eyes. On infrequent occasions, disorientation, memory disturbances, dizziness, restlessness, HALLUCINATIONS, confusion, difficulty urinating, skin rashes or redness, temporary changes in heart rate such as palpitations, dry itchy, or reddened whites of the eyes, and eye pain have been reported."

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

Cool!I'm impressed!Yes,I'm certain in rare instances that unusual and strange side effects will occur ie; painting your stateroom in the middle of the night,swinging/hanging from your balcony or perhaps even running up and down the corridor nude.This is the price we must pay to avoid sea sickness.I'm game!:D

If you look at post #29 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25250876#post25250876

you'll find one endorsement of Scopace, a more modern version of using Scopalamine, by my friend Fred. Both he and his partner used this in the Antarctic, and had a very good experience.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Lisa

I have some advice of what NOT to do. I took a Dramamine (sp?) when the ship started rocking and tossing me around in the shower the night we turned away from Rangiroa due to the swells. Worried I might get sea sick, I took another one about 30 minutes later when the captain announced the "potential" for rocky seas and our change of itenerary. I didn't mention the second one to my husband who was taking his turn getting tossed about the shower. We went to the piano bar where he ordered me a martini. I wouldn't have ordered one, but didn't turn it away either. We all went to dinner together, the wine was poured and I promptly went to sleep sitting up at the table. Awfully embarrassing and worse yet, I missed out on a quality evening with our new best friends.

The good news is that I didn't get sea or any other kind of sick.

The moral of the story is, only take one pill or stick to club soda and lime! Sheesh.

Lisa, You should join our roll call for 14th August sailing. You may be also interested in joining some of us on our excursion with Patrick at Bora Bora.

What is this Patrick at Bora Bora i'm reading about?

This is Patrick's website:http://www.maohinui.net for you to peruse. There are 3 of us couples already booked and the excursion becomes cheaper the more couples that go up to a limit of 12 people. It is the 3/4 day excursion we have booked at Bora Bora, including motu BBQ picnic with champagne, ray/shark feeding, snorkelling. Should be loads of fun. You would be most welcome to join us. At the moment the cost is $160us PP and with another couple is $135us PP.

This is Patrick's website:http://www.maohinui.net for you to peruse. There are 3 of us couples already booked and the excursion becomes cheaper the more couples that go up to a limit of 12 people. It is the 3/4 day excursion we have booked at Bora Bora, including motu BBQ picnic with champagne, ray/shark feeding, snorkelling. Should be loads of fun. You would be most welcome to join us. At the moment the cost is $160us PP and with another couple is reduced to $135us PP.

Archived