Clearing customs on a Canada/NE cruise

NayRN

How does this work?:confused: We'll be in Canada for two ports then back to the USA for 3 ports. Do we clear customs when we arrive in Bar Harbor, in NYC or both?:eek: I'd really hate to wait in customs lines twice!

When we went to Canada a couple of years ago Customs came on board before we got to Boston and everyone had to go through a short line to show our passports (or other documentation, I guess). It was pretty well organized and no more aggravating than the muster drill. When we disembarked in NYC, we had to pass through Customs again on the way out, with the potential for luggage inspection. I remember thinking that if you wanted to smuggle something from Canada to the US, it would be easy to bring it off in Boston. The only thing I could think of was Cuban cigars, although you could probably buy a bunch of duty free cigarettes on board and mail them to yourself.

We did Celebrity from NJ to Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, St John, Halifax to Quebec, then back to New Jersey. I can not recall showing our passports to anyone at any of the ports other than to re-board the ship.

If any of the people at the pier were immigration, it certainly wasn't readily apparent.

Archived