Guide/driver in Casablanca??

shmabbies

Hi Parrot Mom,

I am on the Crystal Serenity leaving from Rome October 28th. We are scheduled for Casablanca also. Crystal is doing the same as all the other cruise lines who are scheduled to dock in Morocco. They are all taking a "wait and see" approach. On their World Cruise, earlier in the year, they substituted Cadiz in Spain for Casablanca as terrorists were blowing themselves and others up there. If you are interested in which lines have ships docking there, go to http://www.cruisecal.com and put in Casablanca and you can go month to month. Also, there are sites on line where you can get daily updates on Morocco. Just google "Morocco" and you can find a lot of info. My friends and I would like to have them substitute a "safe" port since it is such a volatile area.

Sheila

Hi Parrot Mom

We've booked with Abdel (well actually my last couple of emails have been from Mme Dina). I sent confirmation yesterday for our Casa day tour. I kind of expected they had a minimum four pax requirement and that was confirmed yesterday but at EUR45 each we think EUR180 is very good value for a day with a private guide for the two of us. As a comparison I was quoted EUR340 for four hours in Sicily that I have politely declined:rolleyes: .

As with the other posters we're not willing to pay a deposit due to the current situation so I'm waiting to see what we're asked for. I feel for these operators but sadly we're not prepared to pay a deposit or provide cc details with the possibility we won't visit Casablanca in November and then have to fight to get our money back or have to make an insurance claim.

Pete

Thanks to all for the great info on touring Casa. Sandy and will visit the city during the HAL Zuiderdam transatlantic in March 2008. I have not seen many comments about visiting Marakesh; is it simply too far away for a one-day visit to Morroco??

BT

From what I've been reading Casa is boring.. and the cruise ships are offering trips to Marakesh and Fez..the idea of sitting on a bus for that long doesn't thrill me, but the ships are there for a very long day... and I really want to see a snake charmer, see the monkeys, and experience the wild city.. What can I tell you..I'm a wild and crazy lady..lol

I am booked on the Gem for Nov. 2007. The Gem stops in Casablanca for the day and the next day’s port of call is Agadir. The ship offers an over night Shore Excursion to Marrakech from Casablanca and returning the next day to Agadir. I would like to do the same itinerary but with a private guide. We do not like traveling with the ships excursions because they are usually in a large group. Do you know of any tour guide that can do this itinerary?

I am booked on the Gem for Nov. 2007. The Gem stops in Casablanca for the day and the next day’s port of call is Agadir. The ship offers an over night Shore Excursion to Marrakech from Casablanca and returning the next day to Agadir. I would like to do the same itinerary but with a private guide. We do not like traveling with the ships excursions because they are usually in a large group. Do you know of any tour guide that can do this itinerary?

Staying overnight is a major plus for your cruise...is it NCL? The other spot of interest from Agadir is Taroudant. We are only in Agadir for less than half a day...We found the Blue Men Grop of Morocco...but they are looking for a deposit and with the political situation this fall I'm not sure we'll be stopping there..

I'm so glad I found this thread...we're also in Casablanca and Agadir in the fall. Has anyone done a Rabat/Casablanca day tour? Also wondering about a Casablanca, Marakesh,Agadir overnight tour - has anyone done this with a tour group and not the ships tour?

We stayed in Agadir several years ago - and did a trip to Tiout and Taroudant - it was a fantastic tour with Taroudant being particularly picturesque. They have a great smaller souk or market there and fabulous ancient walled area. On the drive there we saw goats up a tree - they climb it to eat the fruits - quite a kodak moment - a tree full of goats! I highly recommend that tour. (we booked through our hotel so can't give anybody a tour guide's name)

Also did a tour of Marrakesh from Agadir - about a 4 hour drive if I recall correctly - the market there is not to be missed! It was worth the drive.

Agadir is all right but not the main attraction although they have a big sandy beach there with many little cafe's overlooking it and we could watch the sun set over the Atlantic from our hotel window.

We then did a mini cruise (4 or 5 days) to the Canary Islands from there.

It was a fabulous trip and I hope that things settle down enough over there that people can continue to visit - it is a fascinating country - I really hope you get there!

Sue,

We are on the Nov 21st Gem with you and have arranged for a private guide to tour us around Casablanca, drive us to Marrakech, stay overnight and then tour again and take us to the ship the next day in Agadir. We have room for 2 more so please email me at susielynn@bellsouth.net for details. (there are 4 of us --so it would be six.)

Humidsue

Zutalors

I appreciated your info on Taroudant. Our ship makes 3 stops in the Canaries and I would be interested to read your tips on that location since you mentioned a short tour there. Thank you.

mustgo

Zutalors

Thanks. We love ST Augustine too. However, we moved this year to Ocala just to avoid the coastal storm. We had 15 good years there and decided to take no further chances.

We will be visiting the 3 locations you mentioned. I will check your post.

I was looking for this post to share my Casablanca 'experiences with Abdel of Tangier tours', however I missed the post so I put it in General Max's 'Casablanca taxi tour' post. I don't know how to transfer it so please have a look at it over there.

Unfortunately my experiences were not as positive as others.

I was looking for this post to share my Casablanca 'experiences with Abdel of Tangier tours', however I missed the post so I put it in General Max's 'Casablanca taxi tour' post. I don't know how to transfer it so please have a look at it over there.

Unfortunately my experiences were not as positive as others.

thanks for the heads up

after the initial confirmation of 'we would be pleased to show you morocco and will be in contact soon with more detail' I received nothing from Abdel regarding our tour in October. I sent another - nothing, and yet another email seeking re-confirmation. I finally received more detail a few weeks ago including itinerary, cost etc from Mme Dina (who has the same surname as Abdel so is his wife? sister? mother:D ? and have had a couple since.

fingers crossed!

Archived