Guide/driver in Casablanca??

shmabbies

Max: Abdel was great. He had a very large mini bus for us and had a driver. In Marrakesh, we also picked up a guide specific to Marrakesh. So we had two guides and a driver in Marrakesh. The markets were amazing. I felt totally safe with Abdel and he made our experience in Morocco great. I would highly recommend him. Thanks for the pre-trip advice. Claire

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Claire --

How long was the ride to Marrakesh? I have read that with the ship's excursions it is 4 hours each way. Is the ride any shorter when you are in a private car? I would love to go to Marrakesh, but the thought of 8 hours in the minivan just kills me!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in contact with Abdul re possible tours to either Marrakesh or Rabat for a TA next year. His prices seem very High!!!!! 165 Euros/person to Marrakesh and 135 Euros to Rabat. What prices has anyone paid on tours with him???? Maybe I am having some misunderstanding with him...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I think we paid about 150 euros each to go to Marrakesh. Abdul rents a nice and big 8 person bus with a driver for you. He also takes on another guide once you get to Marrakesh. The extra guide is very nice to have in the markets because then you have a guide with you in the front and back to keep watch and keep people away as needed. The markets are very crowded and it was nice knowing you could walk around unafraid because two people were watching out for you. After you have been on the tour you will realize 165 is a good price. I don't think the ship's tours are much cheaper.

MalibuCA--the ride really was about 4 hours. It was a long day and you really don't get much time in Marrakesh itself. It's a toss up. I wouldn't want to spend the day in Casablanca, but you don't get a lot of time in Marrakesh.

Parkey, Not commenting on the price per se, but General Max did a CASABLANCA tour and you are comparing it with a RABAT tour (I'm assuming you're comparing Max's 35 euros in 2005 for a Casablanca tour with TB's quote of 135 euros in 2006 to Rabat). Rabat is quite a distance from Casablanca (about an hour each way). Such variables as number of participants, lunch etc. always affects the price as well. General Max had eight in his van. TB does not specify the number of participants he plans to have.

We used Abdel in 2005 when I had to contact him from on board a cruise that had changed its itinerary when we boarded, Tangiers having been added at the last minute. Abdel responded immediately and on incredibly short notice gave eight of us a great tour in Tangiers. Casablanca was on our original itinerary but the cruise line changed the date of that stop. The guide we had booked there was able to accomodate our date change with a different guide, and the tour (while leaving us with a lot of hysterical memories) was of very low caliber, including the quality of the vehicle & the English language skills of the guide, among other things. We heartily wished we had had Abdel for our tour to Rabat from Casablanca as well as having him in Tangiers.

I'd go with Abdel in a heartbeat. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well General Max a strange thing happened when we were at our favorite resort in the D.R a few weeks ago.. It seems that the Asst. General Manager has left and will be managing a hotel in................ Casablanca by this summer or fall.. In all likelyhood I will write to Lorenzo and see if he can find somebody to recommend a driver/guide.. Parrot Mom hopefully will be remembered by this Swiss hotel manager... and... Iwill even be able to get his direct e-mail address.. At the point before I knew Lorenzo was going to Casablanca I was seriously thinking of taking a ships tour, but only as a last resort.

Claire 1,

Abdel was absolutely fantastic. You will be quite safe with him. Please pass on our best wishes to him. I still fondly remember our Wednesday, October 26, 2005 tour of Casablanca with him.

Cheers

General Max and Mrs Max

General Max-

Is this the same Abdel -(below) that you used for your tour, all the links we have tried dont work. This is the only Abdel we have been able to locate. Many thanks .

(My Name Is Abdel-hamid Idrissi, )

I have been in email contact with Abdel-hamid Idrissi today, using the email address in post # 18 of this thread. It appears that the http://www.tangiertour.tk site has some problems; but he does respond to that email address. As it is not easy to find a good guide in Morocco who has been recommended by people of cruisecritic, I am quite pleased that he is still in business. He will be providing us with drivers and guides in Casablanca and Agadir in November.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

We'll be stopping in Agadir and Casablanca on our upcoming cruise in May. I would love to hear what you find out in Casablanca. The only shore excursion that sounds of interest from Casablanca is Rabat. Shmabbies, since you've spent time in Morocco, would you recommend this?

In Agadir the only excursion that sounds interesting is to Taroundant. I'm told it's similar to Marrakech, only smaller and quieter. Any thoughts? Thanks!

LeeAnne

Hi, LeeAnne - My name is NancyB and my husband and I are on the Galaxy trans-Atlantic on May 1. Is that the cruise you're taking?

• 2 months later...

Finally my husband and daughter found Abdel at Email: tangiertour@yahoo.co.uk and did the exact same itinerary! fortunately we were able to do the tour with him.

We booked him before leaving the states. You will be very happy with your Choice. He will meet you at the Port and stay with you until you board to return.

Abdel was "Fabulous - very informative and useful!"

Peronsally, I am glad we arranged to have Abdel as a guide. I don't think our trip would have been nearly as enjoyable without him. I believe a visit to Morocco is not Complete without Abdel Idrissi as the guide. I thought this recommendation would be of use to anyone Considering a visit to Morocco in the near future. happy Travel/..

OKAY folks.. we are on the Galaxy from Barcelona to San Juan......Since Casablanca is supposed to be modern I've been hoping to find a group that wants to go to Marakesh...PRIVATELY..I understand that the tour companies have to hire a different guide for Marakesh.. Also, Agadir.. sounds boring except for the touristy fish market ....and I'm hoping to get to Touradant....

Is there anybody who wants to join up and start this off.. I found the Blue Men of Morocco and they can take 10 people in their a/c vans.. I'm willing and open to all suggestions.. parrotmom@verizon.net

Finally my husband and daughter found Abdel at Email: tangiertour@yahoo.co.uk and did the exact same itinerary! fortunately we were able to do the tour with him.

We booked him before leaving the states. You will be very happy with your Choice. He will meet you at the Port and stay with you until you board to return.

Abdel was "Fabulous - very informative and useful!"

Peronsally, I am glad we arranged to have Abdel as a guide. I don't think our trip would have been nearly as enjoyable without him. I believe a visit to Morocco is not Complete without Abdel Idrissi as the guide. I thought this recommendation would be of use to anyone Considering a visit to Morocco in the near future. happy Travel/..

Did you take this tour privately or with a group from a tour/cruise

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it seems that we who are doing the Galaxy T/A inDecember are waiting to see what happens in Morocco... There is "talk" the port may not be included because of threats of terrorism..I have found a private guide and the only thing they ask is that we send a deposit, but as I have told them..because of the political situation we are holding off. Would I send my passport #..absolutely not.. Last night I called Celebrity with the question of whether the port would be cancelled with the thoughts I did not want to send $$$ ahead of time. At this time they have no answer.. but I did sign up for "changes" should they be made.. Are you on the December 8th cruise? They tellme there are cruises a bit earlier going to Morocco and we will know probably the last minute whether they go or not..

Well, it seems that we who are doing the Galaxy T/A inDecember are waiting to see what happens in Morocco... There is "talk" the port may not be included because of threats of terrorism..I have found a private guide and the only thing they ask is that we send a deposit, but as I have told them..because of the political situation we are holding off. Would I send my passport #..absolutely not.. Last night I called Celebrity with the question of whether the port would be cancelled with the thoughts I did not want to send $$$ ahead of time. At this time they have no answer.. but I did sign up for "changes" should they be made.. Are you on the December 8th cruise? They tellme there are cruises a bit earlier going to Morocco and we will know probably the last minute whether they go or not..

PM -Thanks for the reply, we're on the Century T/A leaving Barcelona Dec 3, we're scheduled in Tangier, Casablanca & Agadir on Dec 7, 8 & 9.

I wasnt willing to send my passport numbers and now with your comments, I think I'll find another tour guide.

Archived