Has anyone ever gotten left behind on Coco Cay?

They scan your card going off and on, they know who is on the island. I seriously doubt they would leave you on thier private island. There are a few folks who live out there but most of them boat in each day.

I remember, although hazily, reading something on here about passengers being left on Coco Cay overnight a few years ago.

From what I remember reading, the weather turned nasty quite quickly and passengers were unable to tender back to the ship because it was too dangerous.

I did a search to try and find posts about that but didn't have any luck. Maybe someone else remembers as well and might be able to supply more information.

However, having said this, having that happen would have to be a very very rare occasion and not something I would necessarily worry about.

I have missed the stop at Coco Cay twice in the six times I've been on a cruise that stops there. If it is too dangerous, they won't allow anyone to tender to the island to begin with.

Nope those private Islands are not ports where you get left behind like other ports.

But Christoph and Jan are right, groups of crew and passengers got left on the Island because they couldn´t tender them back to the ship due to weather conditions. Of course the ship waited and they wern´t really left behind, but they had to spend the night.

Here's a little blurb from CC news published Jan 2003:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=753

Not on the list of “new additions” is a set of portable cots though on one cruise last fall the island could have used them. In November, CocoCay made headlines when waters got too rough to allow passengers on Majesty of the Seas, which tenders folks in to a floating dock, back onboard. Instead, more than 1,400 of the ship’s 2,200 guests spent the night, “roughing it,” on lounge chairs and wrapped in beach towels (not to mention blankets, comforters and pillows sent over from the ship) on CocoCay. Many of the ”stranded” passengers found the once-in-a-lifetime experienced, however impromptu, of camping on a private island quite an adventure (Royal Caribbean’s offer of a full refund and a certificate for a free four day cruise to those impacted didn’t quash spirits either). In fact, some are trying to convince the cruise line to schedule another CocoCay overnight during a Majesty of the Seas voyage -- this one on purpose, of course. A Royal Caribbean spokesman is coy, however, about any plans to do so.

I was on the Voyager when this happened, I remember that some doctors and nurses did take a smaller boat and took emergency supplies. I remember reading it was kind of tough on the old and frail since it got cool at night.

While talking to hubby today about our cruise... This question popped into my mind :) If that happened how long until the next ship arrives?

your in sight of the berry islands maybe 3 miles away. people commute to work the straw market. so if you were to be left for some reason. they are several ships that come almost every day. But like others said they scan your sea pass so they know you are there.

Archived