Parking at Brooklyn Terminal - voices of experience, please

kcl

My husband and I will be driving from suburban Philadelphia to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for the Caribbean Princess voyage departing 9/18/10. Can cruisers with experience parking at the terminal answer a few questions for us?

Is the cost $18 per day? Is cash required, or can you pay by credit card?

Is there a parking garage, or is it a parking lot?

How secure is the facility (anyone experience vandalism or theft from their vehicle)?

How far from the parking area to the port entrance?

Do cruisers walk to the port entrance, or do they have to take a shuttle (like at Cape Liberty)?

If we arrive @11 or 11:30, will we run into a traffic jam of disembarking passengers?

Is exiting the parking area after the cruise an interminable wait, or does it move quickly?

Yes, I know that we can take the train into NYC and take a cab to Brooklyn. We've weighed the cost vs. time vs. convenience of using own car and taking the car won out.

Your help is appreciated. Happy cruising!

I've heard about the parking in Brooklyn, but I'll leave it to others to give their first hand experiences.

My comments are about the route to the terminal. I would advise you to take the NJ Turnpike to exit 10 and follow route 440 across Outerbridge Crossing to I278 east across Staten Island to the Verrazano Bridge. Continue on I278 towards Queens and follow the directions to the port WHICH YOU HAVE PRINTED OUT. I went from exit 8 on the turnpike to Brooklyn (exit 21) twice last week and it was a very easy trip using this route - it took me 50 minutes to an hour - and it was all well marked "interstate" driving. No awful approach to the Holland Tunnel or trying to figure out how to get to Brooklyn via the BB tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge.

My husband and I will be driving from suburban Philadelphia to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for the Caribbean Princess voyage departing 9/18/10. Can cruisers with experience parking at the terminal answer a few questions for us?

Is the cost $18 per day? Is cash required, or can you pay by credit card?

Is there a parking garage, or is it a parking lot?

How secure is the facility (anyone experience vandalism or theft from their vehicle)?

How far from the parking area to the port entrance?

Do cruisers walk to the port entrance, or do they have to take a shuttle (like at Cape Liberty)?

If we arrive @11 or 11:30, will we run into a traffic jam of disembarking passengers?

Is exiting the parking area after the cruise an interminable wait, or does it move quickly?

Yes, I know that we can take the train into NYC and take a cab to Brooklyn. We've weighed the cost vs. time vs. convenience of using own car and taking the car won out.

Your help is appreciated. Happy cruising!

Here are the rates

http://www.nycruise.com/parkBKN.html

You can pay by CC

Parking is in a secure lot right across from the entrance to the terminal and within walking distance.

You may run into some traffic. We arrive at 10:30-11am and it was very quick.

Exiting is very quick and easy.

Enjoy your cruise. The CB is a great ship! :D

Archived