What book to take on my Alaskan Cruise?

love4god

I took a new book, Treadwell Gold, an Alaska Saga of Riches and Ruin, by Sheila Kelly. What a find! A wonderful book about the Treadwell Mines, across from Juneau on Gastineau Channel. The book laces togehter stories about the company, hard rock mining and the community that grew up around the mines. The author does a wonderful job of balancing stories about the mines, the miners and the families that lived in Treadwell. The story is very engaging as told by the author whose family lived and worked there. I felt like I made a real connection with the culture and the people of Southeast Alaska.

I have a slew of Alaska themed books listed on eBay that I bought to read before/during/after my cruise to Alaska this summer. Just search ALASKA BOOK or my user name HILKY2 to take a look.

I got all the titles from listings on this board and it was so helpful! That's the reason for this shameless post.

What a wonderful place to travel too. Have fun!

We were given a book forty years ago, when we were first married called, "Alaska Challenge" by Ruth and Bill Albee. The couple wrote the book detailing their walk into Alaska. I remember it as being a fascinating read about their adventure. I still have the book and plan to read it again before our cruise in May. It might be possible to locate the book in a library. While it has nothing to do with cruising, it's still an amazing narrative about their trek and experiences on their "honeymoon".

Mary

Archived