Help with Excursions for Manzanillo, Acapulco and Z

AzCruiseGurl

Hi all,

DH and I will be on The Carnival Spirit in Nov.

For any of you that have been to theses port please help

me with must see and must do's..

Whats the best port to do a beach day?

Thinking about a city tour in Acapulco. But still welcome

suggestions for Acapulco..

I am really struggling with the other two ports.. HELP

I like walking and beach stuff.. DH likes History and sightseeing..

We also like different culture..

Any suggestions I would love...

Hi all,

Hi,

We did this cruise in December 2008 and we did the city tour in Acapulco and the beach at Zihua. If you need the details, click on my signature below to see my review. If you want the pictures of our cruise, you can email me at Harryfat@yahoo.com and I will send you the link our online photo site.

I think for history and sight seeing, Acapulco is probably your best bet. Zihua/Ixtapa is more your beach stop. Although you can do beach in Acapulco as well, but not sure you have too much sight seeing at the other ports if you prefer a little of everything.

We liked Zihua, much more laid back than your big resort places at Ixtapa. But it's your preference on what type of beach life you like to visit.

Let me know if you need any specific questions answered on these three ports. A lot of brain cells have died since then, but I will see what I can remember.

Hi Harry, Thanks SO much for responding to my post..

Also thanks for the info. I have contacted Rosie for a

City tour in Acapulco. Heard alot of GREAT reviews on the

boards about Rosie. Still struggling with Z and Manzanillo.

I sent you a email did you receive it? Looking forward

to hearing back from you and seeing your photos.

Sheri ;)

We went in March 2009 and in Acapulco did the Cliff Divers and City tour during the day. The divers do only one day show and the rest at night. I wanted to get pictures of the divers during the day.

In Z we went snorkeling on the Picante catamaran in the morning and had a blast. We also did swimming with the dolphins in the afternoon. This is a must on any bucket list. Both excursions were purchased through Carnival only to make sure of any time constraints. It even allowed time for lunch at Mirador restaurant in Z which had amazing fish tacos.

Hi Harry, Thanks SO much for responding to my post..

Also thanks for the info. I have contacted Rosie for a

City tour in Acapulco. Heard alot of GREAT reviews on the

boards about Rosie. Still struggling with Z and Manzanillo.

I sent you a email did you receive it? Looking forward

to hearing back from you and seeing your photos.

Sheri ;)

Hi, Sheri,

I sent you an reply email in Thursday night with the photo link and responses to your email questions.

Did you not get it?

I thought you were busy looking at the pictures to respond right away as it was a large album (1,000 pictures), but sounds like you never got it?

I will send that email off again now. Check your spam folder in case AOL drops that email in there.

Hi, Sheri,

I sent you an reply email in Thursday night with the photo link and responses to your email questions.

Did you not get it?

I thought you were busy looking at the pictures to respond right away as it was a large album (1,000 pictures), but sounds like you never got it?

I will send that email off again now. Check your spam folder in case AOL drops that email in there.

Harry, I just checked my e-mail and I did receive your

e-mail today with photos.:D:) Did not receive it on thursday.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to send me the photos

and answer all my question. DH and I are going to look at the

photos in just a bit.

Thanks ;)

We went in March 2009 and in Acapulco did the Cliff Divers and City tour during the day. The divers do only one day show and the rest at night. I wanted to get pictures of the divers during the day.

In Z we went snorkeling on the Picante catamaran in the morning and had a blast. We also did swimming with the dolphins in the afternoon. This is a must on any bucket list. Both excursions were purchased through Carnival only to make sure of any time constraints. It even allowed time for lunch at Mirador restaurant in Z which had amazing fish tacos.

Thanks for your response we are going to do Cliff Divers and City tour

in Acapulco.. Still undecided about the other two ports.

In Manzanillo we did the cultural tour of Colima/Comala with the pyramid stop. The volcano was puffing that day - nice! I thought it might be a bit samey since we did a colonial tour in Mazatlan last summer, but this tour stood on its own. Everything was low-key, including the pyramids compared to those in the Yucatan, but if you like "scenic and relaxing," I recommend this tour. (We also stopped at the archaeological museum and the governor's palace in Colima, and lunch at Don Comalan's in Comala featured the only guacamole I've ever liked.) Even just driving on the highway alongside the coconut groves was nice.

I have a hard time recommending excursions because people have such varied interests, but there are a few tours that go to Comala, designated a "magical village" by Mexico's tourism board, and its downtown plaza was truly restful. (Try the local "ponche" - they're very proud of it!)

In Zihua we just walked around the area where the tenders arrive. There are several good places to sit, relax, and watch the fishing boats come in. Zihua reminded me of Avalon and is my favourite Mexican port so far. No hard sells, just a lovely little town, and I'm glad we kept our schedule very loose the day we went there.

In Manzanillo we did the cultural tour of Colima/Comala with the pyramid stop. The volcano was puffing that day - nice! I thought it might be a bit samey since we did a colonial tour in Mazatlan last summer, but this tour stood on its own. Everything was low-key, including the pyramids compared to those in the Yucatan, but if you like "scenic and relaxing," I recommend this tour. (We also stopped at the archaeological museum and the governor's palace in Colima, and lunch at Don Comalan's in Comala featured the only guacamole I've ever liked.) Even just driving on the highway alongside the coconut groves was nice.

I have a hard time recommending excursions because people have such varied interests, but there are a few tours that go to Comala, designated a "magical village" by Mexico's tourism board, and its downtown plaza was truly restful. (Try the local "ponche" - they're very proud of it!)

In Zihua we just walked around the area where the tenders arrive. There are several good places to sit, relax, and watch the fishing boats come in. Zihua reminded me of Avalon and is my favourite Mexican port so far. No hard sells, just a lovely little town, and I'm glad we kept our schedule very loose the day we went there.

Thanks for your recommendation..

The more I hear about Z the more I am looking forward to

the port.. Sounds WONDERFUL my kind of port more of a relax

and laid back port. I think we will dio some of the same. Walk around

go to La Ropa beach and relax..

we did this cruise in feb 2010. in ixtapa/Z the club med beach resort excursion thru carnival was wonderful expeirence. they serve all you can eat buffet (had just about anything you could think of) and all you can drink. can sit by the pool or on the beach. only thing was we sat on the beach and the vendors try to sell you stuff. once we bought from a couple of them they seemed to leave us alone.

we did the beach club/cliff divers in acapulco and that was wonderful as well. the pool was small but not many people in it. they did a mexican show and lunch buffet and a couple of drinks free. no vendors bothering you at the beach club only near the cliff divers.

we did city shopping and beach in manzanillo. the shopping was okay but the beach was good. the food and drinks are cheap. got two free beers or one free margarita. many vendors since it is a public bar and beach. but was still very relaxing and the water nice.

enjoy. we liked this cruise so much we are booked on the 9 day mexican cruise for feb 2011.

candi

Thanks for your recommendation..

The more I hear about Z the more I am looking forward to

the port.. Sounds WONDERFUL my kind of port more of a relax

and laid back port. I think we will dio some of the same. Walk around

go to La Ropa beach and relax..

I would suggest Paty's on La Ropa....and if you have never been to a "real" Mercado in Mexico, Zihuatanejo has a very nice one, a pleasant 15/20 minute walk from the pier...

I would suggest Paty's on La Ropa....and if you have never been to a "real" Mercado in Mexico, Zihuatanejo has a very nice one, a pleasant 15/20 minute walk from the pier...

We second the recommendation for Paty's on Play La Ropa. Wonderful place. We could have spent the whole day there.

Thanks all for posting your info..

Please tell me can you walk to Paty's on Play La Ropa

from the dock??

Yes, if you're in good shape (it'll be fairly warm and humid)....about a 20 to 30 minute walk with a REALLY long steep hill to walk up ....let me know if you want directions...

Hi all,

We did the 8 night in Feb 07.

In Acapulco we had a great time on a city tour with Rosie dew_days@hotmail.com . She was fun, informative and took us to lots of hightlights around the city including the La Paz Chapel with it's amazing views, to the cliff divers at night. She even dropped us off at the ship for dinner and picked us back up to take us to the divers. Excellent service for a reasonable price.

The view from La Paz:

2799527950100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

In Zihua, we took an inexpensive, $5.00 taxi ride to Playa Ropa, LaPerla. Nice spot on the beach with drink/food service on the beach. Again, reasonable prices for chair rental and food. On the way back to the ship, taxi's were waiting in the parking lot of La Perla and we had him drop us off at Tamales Y Atoles Any....a great little spot only a short walk from the ship. The variety of tamales is great and they were all so good! Walking back to the ship, through the shops and past the locals on the beach was very charming. I loved this port!

Playa La Ropa beach:

2055490670100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

The pretty port of Zihua:

2520287910100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

Hope it helps!

:)

Yes, if you're in good shape (it'll be fairly warm and humid)....about a 20 to 30 minute walk with a REALLY long steep hill to walk up ....let me know if you want directions...

Yes I would love directions, did you walk?

Also could you give me directions to the Mercado.

Thanks for your help ;)

Yes I would love directions, did you walk?

Also could you give me directions to the Mercado.

Thanks for your help ;)

OK, the Mercado.....

Turn right as you get off the pier and walk what equals several short blocks till you come to a basketball court. From the center of the court, turn left, cross the street and walk along a "walking street" and on the third street turn right for several blocks until you come to the main drag....you'll recognize the street as a "main drag", it has a small divider in the middle...(there is a bank on your right if you need a ATM) Cross this street and turn left (it's usually shadier on this side) walk several more short blocks until you come to the Mercado, you can't miss it. If you're thirsty, there are several orange juice places inside where you WILL NOT DIE

if you have some juice!!!...Hungry? My favorite place is CARNITAS URUPAN that is located back of the market outside....Easiest way to fine it is to walk out in the middle of the street, turn around and on your right you'll see an awning with this name on it. a carnitas taco (that's about all they sell) is 8 pesos, I think they will take a dollar for one...just add onion, cilantro and one of the salsas that they have on the counter....sit at the counter, it's a little cooler than the community table inside...I usually have 2 for breakfast with a glass of that purple "stuff" that is standard in almost all Mexican eateries...it's called Jamaica (the "j" is pronounced as an "h"...

It will be a long hard walk after touring the market, so take a taxi for 35 peso to Paty's....or let me know if you want the walk and I'll give you directions....

Hi alphakitty,

Thank you SO much for posting the wonderful photos

of your trip. Loved them..

I did contact Rosie and I am doing a tour with her

in Acapulco.:p

Z We decided to go to La Ropa.

I see a para sail in one of your photos do you happed to

know how much it cost to para sail?

Manzanillo - Resort maybe?? But I can do that on the ship for free:eek:

Eat and hang out.. HUMMM Any thoughts??

Thanks again for your help

OK, the Mercado.....

Turn right as you get off the pier and walk what equals several short blocks till you come to a basketball court. From the center of the court, turn left, cross the street and walk along a "walking street" and on the third street turn right for several blocks until you come to the main drag....you'll recognize the street as a "main drag", it has a small divider in the middle...(there is a bank on your right if you need a ATM) Cross this street and turn left (it's usually shadier on this side) walk several more short blocks until you come to the Mercado, you can't miss it. If you're thirsty, there are several orange juice places inside where you WILL NOT DIE

if you have some juice!!!...Hungry? My favorite place is CARNITAS URUPAN that is located back of the market outside....Easiest way to fine it is to walk out in the middle of the street, turn around and on your right you'll see an awning with this name on it. a carnitas taco (that's about all they sell) is 8 pesos, I think they will take a dollar for one...just add onion, cilantro and one of the salsas that they have on the counter....sit at the counter, it's a little cooler than the community table inside...I usually have 2 for breakfast with a glass of that purple "stuff" that is standard in almost all Mexican eateries...it's called Jamaica (the "j" is pronounced as an "h"...

It will be a long hard walk after touring the market, so take a taxi for 35 peso to Paty's....or let me know if you want the walk and I'll give you directions....

Thanks for directions we will check it out..:p

Never been to a Real Mercado.

Hi alphakitty,

Thank you SO much for posting the wonderful photos

of your trip. Loved them..

I did contact Rosie and I am doing a tour with her

in Acapulco.

Z We decided to go to La Ropa.

I see a para sail in one of your photos do you happed to

know how much it cost to para sail?

Manzanillo - Resort maybe?? But I can do that on the ship for free:eek:

Eat and hang out.. HUMMM Any thoughts??

Thanks again for your help

YW!

Hope you enjoy your time with Rosie. She was a delight and a highlight of our trip. :)

In Manzanillo, we went to Las Hadas resort. We thought it was very nice. Then, it was a $30 pp admission fee, which they gave back to you in drink/food coupons. The pool is really nice, there is a beach there, cabanas and great views of a classic hotel.

The taxi ride was $7.00 OW.

I'm sorry, I don't know how much the parasailing was.

A few photos of Las Hadas posted here and you can see all our photos from that cruise here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562576906urGkgk

2365931790100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2305190670100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2650334270100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2470936790100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

The City Tour in Acapulco is a must. I have traveled to Acapulco for nine summers and have been on several City Tours taking newcomers that have traveled with us. We have found a great taxi driver, that we have used for each of the last two summers, that does tours for the cruise ships. He speaks English and loves history. He will do a great job for you. His name is Baldo and can be reached at baldo-work@hotmail.com.

The City Tour in Acapulco is a must. I have traveled to Acapulco for nine summers and have been on several City Tours taking newcomers that have traveled with us. We have found a great taxi driver, that we have used for each of the last two summers, that does tours for the cruise ships. He speaks English and loves history. He will do a great job for you. His name is Baldo and can be reached at baldo-work@hotmail.com.

Thanks for the info ;)

YW!

Hope you enjoy your time with Rosie. She was a delight and a highlight of our trip. :)

In Manzanillo, we went to Las Hadas resort. We thought it was very nice. Then, it was a $30 pp admission fee, which they gave back to you in drink/food coupons. The pool is really nice, there is a beach there, cabanas and great views of a classic hotel.

The taxi ride was $7.00 OW.

I'm sorry, I don't know how much the parasailing was.

A few photos of Las Hadas posted here and you can see all our photos from that cruise here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562576906urGkgk

2365931790100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2305190670100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2650334270100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

2470936790100082454S600x600Q85.jpg

Yes thats resort I was also looking at going to..

I guess I have all my ports covered now!!

Thanks for the photos they are great!

Hi all,

lvroberts, we were on the Spirit last year for Halloween. She's a beautiful ship and we loved this itinerary. Sorry to see it go. Anyway, we took a great tour in Acapulco. It was with Rudy from Tour by Van. He met us right outside the terminal, we drove around in a newer air conditioned van (it was still very hot in October) and we saw everything that we wanted to see. We told Rudy what we were interested in and he built a tour that suited us perfectly. We were able to get to some places that a large bus (think cruise ship tour) wouldn't be able to get to and since Rudy is a local, he knew people everywhere we went. We never felt unsafe and we paid at the end of our tour. Rudy also knew his Acapulco history....including politics, religion and pretty much everything else we asked him about.

At no time did he try to take us anyplace we didn't want to go and we never went to anyone's personal house or restaurant, etc.

I've been seeing ads for his tour company here on CC lately....but in case you don't see one, you can email him at info at tour by van dot com. It can't hurt to just see what he has to offer. :)

We did our beach day in Zih. We just caught a taxi to Paty's and spent the day there. Good food and a quiet beach....with a perfect view of the ship.

No matter what you decide to do.....have fun! :D

Archived