how physically challenging are the landings?

beth555

When I tell people where we are going, I get one of two reactions 1. Why would you want to go there? It is so cold or 2. Wow, I would love to go there. I have to say before I read so much on the Antarctica and South Georgia I might have been likely to fall into the first category. Now after reading so much I have a different perspective on the entire trip.

We also had the same question "Why Antarctica?". You will love it. There is a great National Geographic book with pictures and history that is worth reading.

Thanks, we are going and I can't believe it is just a little over two months away. We are looking forward to this trip more than any other we have taken. Our spare bedroom is full of waterproof pants, gloves hats etc. When I tell people where we are going, I get one of two reactions 1. Why would you want to go there? It is so cold or 2. Wow, I would love to go there. I have to say before I read so much on the Antarctica and South Georgia I might have been likely to fall into the first category. Now after reading so much I have a different perspective on the entire trip.

LOL glad I am not the only one with a spare room full of weird packing piles !! Just 16 days to go ..... and counting :)

I have become very fond of Eagle Creek Compression Bags this week !!

On amazon we found a great calendar and book with Antarctic pictures by Sebastian Copeland - called Antarctica - Global Warming - we were actually at one of the sites with the whale bone and penguins and the sea ice etc. is reminiscent of what we saw. His photos are incredible. If you are on the PAII they will send you a book with your tickets so don't buy one - it gives you pictures of the various birds etc. so you can identify them. We are quite jealous of those of you packing to go as our clothes sit packed away for winter!! Don't forget to bring some summer clothes for BA it does get hot there.

We are quite jealous of those of you packing to go as our clothes sit packed away for winter!! Don't forget to bring some summer clothes for BA it does get hot there.

I will be leaving Aus in the heat of summer and have Iguazu at the end of my trip so I have thrown in a couple of lightweight cargo pants and T's for flights and the falls. :D

Less than 2 weeks to go now !!

Dileep,

Awesome pictures. I am very envious of the places you have visited. You are a lucky guy.

Thanks. Photograhy Tour of Egypt and then Jordan next month! Will post pictures and videos on the Africa/Middle East board.

• 4 months later...

My mother was 79 years old when we did our first Antarctic expedition in December 1999. We had always joked that we needed to complete our travels to all 7 continents before 2000.

It was a 31-day voyage, appropriately labeled the Grand Millennium Expedition, on Marco Polo. We first flew to Capetown South Africa, for a 5-night stay. Then we boarded the Marco Polo, and sailed to the eastern side of South America. The ship oll-loaded all but 400 passengers in Buenos Aires. From there we cruised along the east coast of SA to the Falklands, where we made 2 landings.

Then we were off to Antarctica. We made 6 landings along the western coast and peninsula; we sailed thru the Bransfield Straits. We never saw any other ships the whole time. We would wake up, as the sun was streaming thru the window of the cabin, only to learn that it was 3:15am.

My mother made all of the landings. Marco Polo provided extraordinary pre-cruise preparations. She was able to walk 3 miles a day before the trip; and we had excellent anti jet lag preps as well. We spent a fortune outfitting ourselves for the journey.

We loved it so much that we repeated the expedition in December 2000. Both were very expensive, but well worth the price when you realize that a very small number of people will ever set foot on that continent.

Archived