Setting limits on kids sail & sign cards?

IttaBit

I have a 12 year old who will undoubtedly think she's old enough to roam the ship freely and therefore need access to a sail and sign card. Is there a way I can put a daily spending limit on her card so I don't end with $2,000 bill used to purchase snacks, drinks, and t-shirts, and video games?

I have a 12 year old who will undoubtedly think she's old enough to roam the ship freely and therefore need access to a sail and sign card. Is there a way I can put a daily spending limit on her card so I don't end with $2,000 bill used to purchase snacks, drinks, and t-shirts, and video games?

Yes. Go to the purser's desk when you first board, and it can be arranged there.

You could set up her account with cash only. Give a specific amount and tell her that once she spends it, that's all, no more. If you do it that way, she learns how to budget her cash and won't spend it all in one place. The ONE thing you must do is stick to your guns and make it plain that once she spends that money, no more.

We got our 11 yo a soda card, and that's all she really needed when out and about with her friends, they all had the soda sticker too.

We had got the backpack, which turned out to be good value, decent rucksack, baseball type cap, shades and a Tee shirt that fitted her for about $5 mnore than the soda card cost.

You didn't say when you are going but is there time for her to earn some extra $$ before you go by doing chores, etc. for you. Kids are less apt to waste money if it's their money rather than mom and dads.

When our boys were a little older than that we were stationed in Germany - we gave them a pretty good allowance but they had to save and "pay" us for part of their ticket price for tours and provide their own spending money. They learned a lot about handling money that way.

Wouldn't giving her your personal instructions make it clear to her what she is and is not permitted to charge? If you tell her three soft drinks and nothing in the shops without asking or she's allowed to purchase one t-shirt or whatever?? Would she not follow your instructions?

Wouldn't giving her your personal instructions make it clear to her what she is and is not permitted to charge? If you tell her three soft drinks and nothing in the shops without asking or she's allowed to purchase one t-shirt or whatever?? Would she not follow your instructions?

Yes, do you not trust her to be respectfull to your concerns and terms of the cabin card. I know girls like to shop.

I gather from your initial comments, you have some hesitation and reservations. I think that I am seeing that you believe that she will blow the amount and then come crying for more. You must know your daughter so be forwarned.

If you truly believe that she would run up a charge of 2000.00 then, in my humble opinion, the drink package only. End of story.

When on our family cruise with our grand-children (ages 8 -17) as well as other nieces, nephews etc - all their parents get them each a soda card and that's it. Anything else they want, or find, or think they can't live without, must go through the parents, and if approved, be put in the parent's cruise cards. They are each always allowed one T shirt each and a souvenir cup, but anything else goes through the moms & dads.

After each cruise, the kids all start earning & saving their money for our next cruise. They actually prefer to wait for shore excursions or trips into port, where they can spend their own money wherever & however they choose. Our 2 youngest grand-daughters cannot wait to get to a "Del Sol" store someplace :) .

But, all the parents have set the ground rule about the on-board use of the ship's cruise card, mainly because ship board costs can add up so quickly. That's just the way they have decided to do it & it has worked out fine for all concerned.

PS: Make sure that 12-year old isn't roaming around the ship by herself!

Archived