Favorite Souvenires???

jenpijan

We will be in Nassau and Freeport for the first time in November. What are some of your favorite souveniers you cant leave the Bahamas without?

Rum and rum cakes are a favorite. But there is also some lovely bahamian made products like jewelry, straw bags, batik and ceramics etc.

Check out the Plait lady at Marina Village for authentic straw bags, mats etc.

For those who are in port on a Saturday, Bay street is filled with local vendors setting up tables selling everything from blown glass jewelry to photography and everything in between. This is a real treat. You won't find fake gucci or straw from china here.. everything is authentic.

For those who are in port on a Saturday, Bay street is filled with local vendors setting up tables selling everything from blown glass jewelry to photography and everything in between. This is a real treat. You won't find fake gucci or straw from china here.. everything is authentic.

Thanks, scubagirl, I'll be in port next Saturday. I'm pretty well done with the straw market.

Isn't there a big difference between Freeport and Nassau? I have read in a Fodors that on Freeport you dock in the industrial area and the taxis cost $16 for two one way to get to Freeport. Seems like a lot and my DH read somewhere Carnival lands in Port Lucuya. Any info?

Isn't there a big difference between Freeport and Nassau? I have read in a Fodors that on Freeport you dock in the industrial area and the taxis cost $16 for two one way to get to Freeport. Seems like a lot and my DH read somewhere Carnival lands in Port Lucuya. Any info?

All ship dock at the same port in Freeport.. which is an industrial area. there's a small "straw Market and a casual bar nearby, but not much else.

Scubagirrl is right. "Our Lucaya" is the touristy area in Freeport. Recently, it was $5.00 each for a shared taxi/minivan. Maybe someone who just got back can update that.

No one really goes to Freeport, it's just a generic name for that part of Grand Bahama Island.

Archived