Just off Serenade July 18-25: some observations

This is not a full review, but some of my "highlight" observations.

1) Overall we were very happy with the cruise - food was better than what I had "feared" from pre-reading. We also enjoyed both Portofino's and Chops. We had Peter in the main dining room and he was excellent. We did MTD, and I reserved in advance, on-line, and had the same table and Peter each night we ate in the main dining room. Table for 2.

2) It rained more than I would have liked - including all day in St. Lucia. Not much to be done about that.

3) First time in an aft - Junior Suite 1602. We loved it. Yes it was a fair walk back, but that way we ensured at least some exercise. The cabin was by far the largest we ever had and the balcony was wonderful. It was noisy most early mornings from the Windjammer, so I would try for one on the 9th floor next time. Also, the last evening was a wash-out as they were power washing in the Windjammer. Frankly, I think they could have waited to start this after 11:00 p.m. - and not 9:00 ... We were unable to use the balcony at all after 9:00.

4) I think they could have changed up the itinerary a bit. What I mean is the "order". We had our sea day on day 1, then Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix. The distances certainly between the last three are very small, so I was disappointed not to do alot of "sailing" in the evening. More "floating". Average speeds on those last 3-4 nights was about 10-12 knots.

5) I have been on Serenade before so knew what to expect. But I was reminded that the pool area is really too small for Southern Caribbean. Ship is showing some wear and tear but very clean and lovely with lots of glass. Centrum doesn't disappoint.

6) we did Snorkel tour to Buck Island. Warning for some: the ride out was quite choppy that day, and where you snorkel it can be pretty rough. I was disappointed in that because I took a lung full of water early and it ruined it for me. I also thought the small boat they used was pretty crappy - cramped and bare use facilities.

7) we stayed on the ship in Antigua so had our own "quiet sea day". It was great - pool was free!

8) we had breakfast every day in Windjammer. Excellent omelets and lots to choose from.

9) we had two bottles of wine in our checked luggage. They did not make it to our room.

10) liquor prices are cheaper in St. Maarten than on the ship or other islands (at least for Cognac and Grand Marnier).

11) our stateroom attendant was just OK - Rommel I think. We never saw him, but he kept the room clean.

12) Crown and Anchor Platinum and Diamond Party had about 25 people max. The Departure lounge had about 8-10. I found that odd.

Overall, as I said we enjoyed ourselves. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

Oh, last one, 13) Roxy in the Schooner bar. I had heard he was good. We lasted half a song. We really enjoyed the Dominic Moore (I think) former lead singer of Foreigner show. Did not attend any other shows.

4) I think they could have changed up the itinerary a bit. What I mean is the "order". We had our sea day on day 1, then Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix. The distances certainly between the last three are very small, so I was disappointed not to do alot of "sailing" in the evening. More "floating". Average speeds on those last 3-4 nights was about 10-12 knots. I think you might even be generous with that speed. I saw lots of 7 knot speeds on night 5,6,7.

8) we had breakfast every day in Windjammer. Excellent omelets and lots to choose from. I second this comment. And the omelet guy gets it done quickly so the line moves efficiently.

10) liquor prices are cheaper in St. Maarten than on the ship or other islands (at least for Cognac and Grand Marnier). But not for Cruzan Rum. St. Maarten is the place for shopping on this itinerary especially because we are the only ship in port. Expect higher prices when the Oasis is in town.

Oh, last one, 13) Roxy in the Schooner bar. I had heard he was good. We lasted half a song. We really enjoyed the Dominic Moore (I think) former lead singer of Foreigner show. Did not attend any other shows.

I think they said Roxy signed off for good after this cruise. We had a drink up there one evening when he was doing an Elton John set (complete with flashing light sunglasses). We thought he was very entertaining.

We were in 1594 on the Serenade 2 years ago and we also had Rommel as our cabin attendant. I have to agree, he was adequate but nothing outstanding. Not like previous ones who greeted you with a smile and remembered your name. That was our 3rd time on the Serenade and I even ran into a cabin steward who remembered me (and what cabin I had been in) from a previous cruise.

I also have to agree about the early morning noise from the WJ. Rolling carts and a lot of dropped utensils and pots!

I didn't see any of the PR girls celebrating their coming out party.

No, our wine was never returned. And we had some great bubble wrap bags that we lost also! Our cognac and GM arrived as usual on the last evening, and made it home safely.

You are right regarding the speed of the ship. Really, I cruise to cruise not to float!! Some nights we had no wake we were moving so slowly.

This is not a full review, but some of my "highlight" observations.

1) Overall we were very happy with the cruise - food was better than what I had "feared" from pre-reading. We also enjoyed both Portofino's and Chops. We sailed on the Serenade in June. After reading many reviews about the low quality of food that RCCL serves in the MDR, our faith in RCCL was renewed with the very good to excellent meals that we experienced in the dining room. Just shows the subjective nature of food.

4) I think they could have changed up the itinerary a bit. What I mean is the "order". We had our sea day on day 1, then Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix. The distances certainly between the last three are very small, so I was disappointed not to do alot of "sailing" in the evening. More "floating". Average speeds on those last 3-4 nights was about 10-12 knots. They did the same on our "alternate" itinerary in June. Nice and smooth sailing, I thought!

5) I have been on Serenade before so knew what to expect. But I was reminded that the pool area is really too small for Southern Caribbean. Small pool but no problem finding lounge chairs for us. We used the Solarium quite a bit as well. Ship is showing some wear and tear but very clean and lovely with lots of glass. I thought just the opposite. I found it in very good shape for a 7 years old ship and the thousands of people that have sailed. Centrum doesn't disappoint. I expected the Centrum to be bigger. For the focal point of the ship with many activities taking place there, I thought the space should have been bigger. I found that area very crowded.

8) we had breakfast every day in Windjammer. Excellent omelets and lots to choose from. The Windjammer was very good. Never ate there for dinner but breakfast and lunch were wonderful there.

10) liquor prices are cheaper in St. Maarten than on the ship or other islands (at least for Cognac and Grand Marnier). We bought all of our booze in St. Thomas. A bit cheaper than the ship (although the ship has a price guarantee), but in St. Thomas you can purchase more than on the ship (at least that's what I thought).

11) our stateroom attendant was just OK - Rommel I think. We never saw him, but he kept the room clean. I've never had a steward that was highly visible. I just want them to do their job and attend to our every need!

Overall, as I said we enjoyed ourselves. Any specific questions I will try to answer.

We thought Roxy was outstanding. A taped track with a voice over type of show. Hundreds of choices in his library. Kind of a "Rod Stewart" raspy kind of voice but very entertaining, we thought. We enjoyed Domenic as well.

Thank you for your comments! We had a great time as well.

I'm sure I butchered the spelling as well!

We were on the Serenade in June and there were several quince parties aboard...I would say at least 3 and possibly up to 5. We saw them boarding carrying their gowns in garment bags, we saw them getting portraits taken before their events, and we saw a few groups of girls walking around with their quince Tshirts on. Other than that, we literally never saw them. They appeared to have the conference rooms, and maybe the Safari Club, booked for activities that we could see as we passed by. Other than that, you wouldn't have known they were aboard.

I'm sure I butchered the spelling as well!

We were on the Serenade in June and there were several quince parties aboard...I would say at least 3 and possibly up to 5. We saw them boarding carrying their gowns in garment bags, we saw them getting portraits taken before their events, and we saw a few groups of girls walking around with their quince Tshirts on. Other than that, we literally never saw them. They appeared to have the conference rooms, and maybe the Safari Club, booked for activities that we could see as we passed by. Other than that, you wouldn't have known they were aboard.

Thanks this is good to know!

Question are were there any quincinera girls (spelled wrong I know) on the ship. We are sailing her next summer

There was a Quinceanera on our May 30th-June 6th sailing. Not sure if they do this more than once throughout the year, but it was fun to watch them on the night they were all dressed up...had a big celebration with their dads in the Centrum Lobby.

Archived