We would like to see the Mayan ruins...any recommendations?

Sam75

My fiance and I are newbies and will be leaving on the Solstice this Sunday for Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. I read that there are Mayan ruins to see at a couple of those places - does anyone have any recommendations for tours?

Thanks!

I'd second doing the Native Choice excursion in Costa Maya. Cozumel has some small minor ruins that are interesting to see but not spectacular. Some ships offer excursions from Cozumel to Tulum on the mainland, but this is an all day affair involves a ferry ride which can be rough for a limited amount of time at the ruins. You can't climb any of these, there's a lack of shade if its hot. But the view of the ocean from Tulum is fantastic.

I'd 3rd the recommendation. I've included a picture (if the attachment works). The ruins at Costa Maya are in good shape and there's more than one. Native Choice does an excellent job explaining them and there are several options for tours-ruins alone, with Mayan family lunch experience or with lagoon swim. Just remember bug wipes!

1592572516_costamayaruins.jpg.666d597fe2e680a4c0605ca14326be53.jpg

My wife and I are on the same cruise and we are going to do the ruin at Tulum from the Cozumel port. They are right on the water and seem to be nicer that Chaccobean. Search Tulum under google images to see pics. There is an excursion for $89 from Celebrity.

I'd 3rd the recommendation. I've included a picture (if the attachment works). The ruins at Costa Maya are in good shape and there's more than one. Native Choice does an excellent job explaining them and there are several options for tours-ruins alone, with Mayan family lunch experience or with lagoon swim. Just remember bug wipes!

I'll go with this one. Costa Maya is not my cup of tea so I would definately do a ruins tour here and I have seen great reviews on Native Choice. All of the other ports have plenty to do.

Tulum is pretty unique but I could not force myself to spend 3 or 4 hours getting there from Cozumel. You have to take a ferry to the mainland and then take a bus or taxi to the ruins. Not my idea of fun. If I wanted to see Tulum I would book a stop in Calica.

Archived