Roll Call Emerald Princess 10-19-2010 Eastern Carribean

Drempel

Hey there Guys, My partner and I will be on the Cruise too! Are you regularly corresponding on the larger Roll Call and are you planning to meet up with the other Cruise Critic members? We're cool with that but was wondering if they're going to be as cool with us. Your Thoughts?? Chris and AJ here BTW.;)

Hey Boys, Not really regularly in touch with the larger group. Just a few questions. It seems like a nice group of folks, with lots of great info. They have planned a lot of get togethers, not sure if we will be participating on any of them. Also not sure of the coolness factor, but probably OK. We are hoping to have a LGBT group for a M&G. Jim and David

Have you been to any of these Islands. We have been to all of them and would be happy to give insight if there's anything you're wondering about. Also, have you been on a Princess cruise before... there are a couple tips we could share too. For instance... do yu guys like wine or cocktails at all?? We have some tips on that. ;)

David and I have not been to any of these islands. We would like to do some exscursions, but wonder if the tour operators would be a problem. So, any insight would be great. A few years ago we went on a short cruise, our only one so far, It was on RC. Cocktail and wine info will also be wonderful as we plan to enjoy this cruise to the fullest.

Thanks so much, hopefully we will have a nice group by cruise time!

First off... let me tell you about the main differance between RCL and Princess, did you notice that if you had so much as a bottle of water on RCL it was taken at the dock before you got on the boat?? Well guess what... Princess really couldn't care less. We generally bring on our own Bar on board and purchace the Soda Package on the first day, that gives us unlimited mixers and a "To Go" cup with a lid to boot. To say that the economic savings is substantial is an understatement. We also bring on Wine. There is a $15.00 corckage fee to have the bottle at the dinner tabel. We often fill a glass before we head down and just arrive with it. Decent bottles on the ship start at $30.00 so that is a savings as well. This might sound nickle and dime but when a drink by the pool can run as high as $20 a pop... they add up. It also makes time on our balcony so much better as we have what we need right there. no need to put on shorts and t-shirts to open the door for a Steward ;).

Now on to the islands, We have gotten off the ship at all except St Kitts. Barbados is our favorite. We generally book "Silver Moon" for the turtle cruise independently. It only takes 12 people and they serve rum punch from the start rather than just after snorkeling. It's a little more expensive but totally worth it. The crew is cool and have no "Family" issues at all. I will book with them today actually. Feel free to join us if you like. We are beach bums at heart so we tend to search for less crowded beaches wherever we go. The exception to this would be in St Lucia where if you have never seen the Pitons it is a must. It is just one of those picture perfect sites. The catmaran tour is the one we recommend. There are land tours but be warned... the turraine is bumpy, hilly, curvy and hot. If you have even the faintest hint of motion sickness it's WAY worse than the open boat ride. In Antigua it's beach for sure. St Kitts we're up in the air. We like Marigot Bay in St Thomas but hearing how many boats will be in port we're going to play that by ear. We generally just get a cab outside the dock area and hook up with other people going to the same place as us. Unless you're going way off the beaten path it's totally legit and the natives want you to come back and tell your friends to do the same so they keep things friendly and above board. Excursions booked through the ship are fine but can feel a bit canned and sterile. We like a little adventure so try and do stuff on our own or with smaller groups. We've never had a negative experience, we're pretty laid back as well so our expectations are seldome over the top.

Other Misc stuff: We are Anytime diners for sure. Some nights we just plain run late and have never had to wait more than 5 minuits for a table. Even at Christmas. We do enjoy the Crown Grille at least once or even twice on a 10 day cruise. We often do it on the formal nights since we're already feeling special. Reservations as soon as you get aboard are recommended. Don't even try calling, just go to the Prominade deck and find the restaurant and make the booking in person. It's just easier and you're usually exploring the ship anyhow so why not just make it. You can always cancel it. It's my AJ's 45th Birthday on the 21st (The reason we're taking the cruise) so we might do it that night... we'll see. Formal nights have traditionally been on cruise days so people aren't so rushed to get dressed. It's not like it used to be but we have Tux so we bring them. It's actually just easier. We are also big SPA guys. We chill most evenings between sail away and dinner in the sauna and steam rooms. Great way to relax at the end of the day and you'd be suprised how many friendly chums you meet in there :rolleyes:. (Single sex and free... who'd-a-thunk?) The showers are bigger than in the cabins, the shampoo and body wash is better and the towels are bigger so we often use it as our own luxury bath before dinner. We just put on our sweats and go back to the cabin and air dry on the balcony with a glass of something before we get dressed for dinner.

Anything else... let me know. LOL (Sorry this is so long winded but it is the stuff I always wished someone had told me before my first big cruise.) What are the ages of your group?? What is the thing you are most looking forward to? Let us know.Hope this helpes and chat soon I'm sure.:D Chris

(Excuse the spelling BTW... The spell check on this site doesn't work in my office for some reason??)

Guys,thanks for all the great info. It will really help us first-timers. In St Lucia do you have a favorite Catamaran tour. Thanks for ship info, we will follow your recommendations. Do You bring full glass bottles of your favorite beverage on board? And we opted for the set dinner time and decided to wear suits and leave the Tux at home. The Barbados sail sounds like fun but, we had planned sightseeing for the group on the island. Half of our group is from Manchester UK. We are not really beach guys, probably more of sightseeing and pool type. Much relaxation is planned and our message reservations have been made. We also went for the mini-suite for the space. Age wise we start in late 30's to mid 50's.

Great that you have some down time built into your cruise. The Piton trip is actually one I would book through the ship. There are a LOT of people on the catamaran but everyone's there to have fun and in a good mood... sometimes a little too "Jimmy Buffet" for my taste but what the hell... it gets em all going.

We in fact do bring full glass bottles onto the ship. There are a couple of places here on the boards about labeling a case of a mix of things with a luggage tag and putting it with your bags to be delivered to your cabin. Look under things that I've posted and you'll find the thread. I'm not a frugal guy by nature but the savings over 10 days is amazing.

Are you early or late seating?? I'm always suprised at how casualally people are dressed 90% of the time on today's cruises. Unless it is a formal night you'll be hard pressed to find a blazer in sight let alone a tie. But then those formal nights are like the "Adult Prom". It's pretty amusing. One dinner tip I will share... Ask your waiter at dinner if you can pre order Onion Soup at least once during the cruise. It's a favorite of ours and you won't get it unless you do it this way. I'm sure it's a pain for them but they really do a great job with it.

Do you guys like to do the shows or are you more lounge types after dinner? (Might be bed types if it's a busy day) Why BTW did you decide to embark on a cruise? Is it something you've always wanted to do or did your short cruise wet your appitite?

We are total pool guys by the way. The only reason we get off the ship and go to the beach is to say we did. I love being in port and having the ship to ourselves. We bring scrabble and cribbage and play out on deck a lot. The mini-suites are great with a little more space. The decks on minis however can be seen from above so keep in mind who might be looking down. ;-)

Movies under the Stars are also great if there's a movie you like playing. They play during the day and night and often have sports games on. We aren't big sports fans and it's REALLY loud so we often end up on the very top "Sun Terrace" which is toward the back of the ship on Deck 17 Sports Deck. You have to want to get to it because you have to climb up there there's no elevator. It's a great place to watch the sail away sunsets. You get a bird's eve view of the whole ship from up there and it's seldome crowded because of the climb.

I hope all this is helping you get a picture of what you're in for. A couple of oppinions: The sanctuary is a rip off, and the spa pool and hot tubs are good because they neve have kids in em. The aft pool is also adults only but depending on how the ship is positioned may not always be sunny. Breakfast out back behind Cafe Caribe is nice too but it allows smoking. Waffles at the Pizza stand are excellend and often overlooked because nobody knows they're there unless you follow the scent. That's on the lido deck toward the front of the ship.

Hope you aren't working too hard and let me know what else you'd like to know. :) Cheers to you all and look forward to hearing that horn blow and feeling the ship move. I need a break. Ciao for now.

Chris the info is so helpful. We have booked the Ships St Lucia tour as you suggested.

We have been wanting to take a longer cruise for a while, and our UK friends booked this one, and wanted us to join them. It was supposed to be 6, but the other guys bowed out.

The drink info is helpful, we brought stuff on the first cruise with out a problem, but bought a drink book and didn't drink much in the room. I am sure this cruise will be different.

If you want to contact me off the board my email is TravelingJimDCA@gmail.com

There is usually one but the times are often during a dinner seating. Everywhere we are is a FOD meeting! LOL It's usually listed in the Princess Patter right next to the Friends of Bill W meeting. We will need that meeting by the end of the cruise I hope. :eek:

Hi Guys! Just dropping a line to say hello. This will be our 9th Princess Cruise. And except for Bonaire, we have done all the other ports. Have a few dives scheduled in Arruba, St Thomas, and Bonaire. The rest we will just wander as the spirit moves. Given that it is High Hurricane Season the chances of seeing these actual ports are slim, so they will point the boat in another direction and we will end up somehwhere! LOL.

Princess started listing the FOD meetings as actual "GLBT Meeting" or something similar. Seems that too many older people thought "Friends of Dorothy" get togethers were actually for fans of the Wizard of OZ! Usually there are 2 or 3 of these hosted by a staff member to get us started. But, you're right, we usually are all able to find each other!

In fact we are traveling with friends (who are on 3 back-to-back cruises) that we met 13 years ago on Princess! Life's great and it's what makes travel so much fun.

We bring our own on board as well and have cocktails in various cabins each night prior to dinner. We still love the traditional dining and always do the late sitting. The great advice about the Onion Soup is Spot ON! And depending on your Captain and Waiter, you might get them to share some other secrets from time to time. We always get them to suggest the "Best night to Miss" so we can do the Crown Grill. They know when the least exciting meal is going to be prepared, so they can give you the best night to miss. We will be celebrating one of our friend's bday and her retirement on this cruise as well, so we might have 2 nights of specialty dining- not sure yet.

Our evenings vary from shows, the clubs, movies under the stars, etc...depending on the mood.

Look forward to meeting you guys sometime during the cruise.

Bill and James

Greenville, SC

Holding our breath here in Hyannis waiting to see where this big daddy storm decides to go. The news cameras are in my back yard as all the boaters pull boats out of the water just in case. Hope our Big Boat trip is between storms all the way in October!! Holding on tight now... want to be laid back then!:rolleyes:

Archived