Cruise ship struck and killed whale in Alaska?

MikeNKim

I found it interesting to read that ships try to avoid contact with whales by simply looking for them, and relying on communication from other vessels that report seeing them.

I always thought they had sophisticated instruments to handle that.

Has anyone heard any more specific information about this latest incident? Specifically, the health of the whale when it was struck?

I was on a small-vessel whale-watching tour a few weeks ago. Even the small boats mostly use sight and communication. Our guide stated that they have sonar but it only worked in a small arc straight down and has a limited distance--by the time a creature shows up, it could be too late.

On the news last night the preliminary findings is that it was dead when the Sapphire Princess hit it. The full necropsy isn't due for a while, but prelim is that it was dead.

Same thing with the Sapphire last year, the whale it hit was also dead.

Susan in Anchorage :)

On the news last night the preliminary findings is that it was dead when the Sapphire Princess hit it. The full necropsy isn't due for a while, but prelim is that it was dead.

Same thing with the Sapphire last year, the whale it hit was also dead.

Susan in Anchorage :)

True, the necropsy suggested that the whale was dead when it was hit by the Sapphire princess, but also showed a missing pectoral fin, thought to be due to an earlier boat propeller injury...so still may have died as a result of a ship strike (but not the sapphire princess).

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/080410/loc_690690774.shtml

Archived