Handicap room in the rear of the ship (msMaasdam)

Randyxl

I am taking my parents on a Canada/New England cruise on the msMaasdam ship in September. They have somewhat limited mobility, so they are planning on staying in a modified handicapp room (L500) on Deck 5. This room is in the rear of the ship but appears to be a little larger than the large interior rooms. Has anyone stayed in this room located in the back of the ship, and would they be better off staying in an interior room more towards the middle of the ship? We are concerned if there is noise and "rough sailing" when you are in the rear part of the ship.

Thanks

L500 -- that cabin is in the bow -- as far forward as you can get. It is considered an interior cabin as it does not have any windows.

I notice that the description indicates that there is a step into the bathroom and that the door into the cabin and the bathroom are standard size doors. Do they have to use wheel chairs or scooters?

We are concerned if there is noise and "rough sailing" when you are in the rear part of the ship.
As KK said, it's all the way forward, and that is the worst place to be in rough water.

...would they be better off staying in an interior room more towards the middle of the ship?

That depends a little on the nature of their mobility problem. If they walk, but distances are the difficulty, then I strongly suggest an inside cabin more mid-ship. This particular cabin is going to be a long walk to everywhere, and a very long walk to the dining areas.

On the other hand, if the problem is climbing in/out of the tub, then any inside cabin will work, as they all have showers.

If one is in a wheelchair, and the other needs to push---go mid-ship! Pushing those chairs over carpet takes a lot out of the pusher.

I'm not asking that you reveal the nature of their mobility problem, but if this info doesn't help, then knowing more about the problem would be easier to discuss a solution.

Please consider what advantages there are to this cabin that outweigh the disadvantages of being so far forward.

Agree with RuthC 100%. Avoid the 1st forward cabins if possible. You will feel every gentle & not so gentle wave. I speak from experience. Going to Bermuda we were in the 3rd cabin from the bow. Despite having taken our Bonine religiously, the motion affected us. While we never got sick, we were uncomfortable enough that we vowed to book early enough on future cruises to choose a cabin amid-ship, and we've stuck to that promise.

If mobility is a problem, look for a cabin closer to elevators & near the center of the ship.

And noises can be bad far forward too - thrusters and winches in the morning when docking, and a lowering of the anchor chain in tender ports. When we were far forward and low once it took me 3 nights to get used to the bow wake roar all night, but for the Veendam in Bermuda 4 nights this would not be nearly as much of an issue.

This room is on the main level (Level 5) . So it is not in the "very front" of the ship, but just the most forward cabin on that level. Do you still feel the same way?

If they switch out of the modified handicap room, they will move to a "guaranteed inside room" in that class. Any thoughts?

Thanks

This room is on the main level (Level 5) . So it is not in the "very front" of the ship, but just the most forward cabin on that level. Do you still feel the same way?

A resounding YES! I've spent enough time in the infirmary (a bit aft of the cabin you're considering) to know it can be bumpy in there.

If they switch out of the modified handicap room, they will move to a "guaranteed inside room" in that class. Any thoughts?

A guarantee could put them in the same position as this cabin. Or worse (is that possible?). Why a guarantee? Why not choose a cabin that is better located, then mark the booking "no upgrades" (an upgrade could move them to an outside, and that would be disastrous)?

So it is not in the "very front" of the ship, but just the most forward cabin on that level.
:confused::confused: There is no other cabin that is farther forward. Whether it is on the Main deck or A deck makes little difference for the ride. It can be bone-jarring in rough water when the bow is slamming into big waves every few seconds. Voice of experience! :)

A resounding YES! I've spent enough time in the infirmary (a bit aft of the cabin you're considering) to know it can be bumpy in there.

A guarantee could put them in the same position as this cabin. Or worse (is that possible?). Why a guarantee? Why not choose a cabin that is better located, then mark the booking "no upgrades" (an upgrade could move them to an outside, and that would be disastrous)?

Unfortunately we just made our reservations for the trip. Only thing available is "guaranteed rooms". For this particular trip, would you expect rough waters?

I am taking my parents on a Canada/New England cruise on the msMaasdam ship in September. They have somewhat limited mobility, so they are planning on staying in a modified handicapp room (L500) on Deck 5. This room is in the rear of the ship but appears to be a little larger than the large interior rooms. Has anyone stayed in this room located in the back of the ship, and would they be better off staying in an interior room more towards the middle of the ship? We are concerned if there is noise and "rough sailing" when you are in the rear part of the ship.

Thanks

Yes- towards the front of the ship? Thanks

Unfortunately we just made our reservations for the trip. Only thing available is "guaranteed rooms". For this particular trip, would you expect rough waters?

Would you leave as is and keep the handicap room and "roll the dice"?

Rough waters are always a possbility. That's the time period when there can be remnants of hurricanes/tropical storms/tropical depressions heading out across the Atlantic. Even if storms head east a great deal south of your itinerary, there can be effects. It's best to plan for rough seas, then be grateful if you don't get them.

If there's a possibility of your parents getting assigned to an outside cabin (small possibility, I would say, but real), then I would reluctantly keep the cabin with a shower only. The tubs on the S-class ships have an incredibly high side climbing in; getting out is harder as the floor is below the bottom of the tub.

Archived