Parents of 18 & 20 yr old no longer traveling...options?

hunniebee724

My aunt, uncle and 6 cousins are booked on the cruise with us. Due to medical concerns, my aunt, uncle & 9 year old cousin may need to cancel. The 3 older cousins are 21 and older, so according to the Carnival website, they don't need their parents in order to travel.

The rooms are on the same floor as my parents room (but down the hall), so would my 18 & 20 year old cousins still be able to travel if my parents assumed responsibility for them? Do they need a notarized letter even though they're both legally adults?

I would check with Carnival. But, I think you are correct. They are both adults. As long as there is someone in the cabin who is over 21. They're okay. It's the 18 yr old that needs the over 21 in the cabin. But, just to be on the safe side, just get a letter from the 18yr old's parent. It doesn't have to be notorized.

I'm sorry. I misread. I thought it was a 21 yr old. You can always book an adult in the room with them. And then change it around once you get on the ship. For example. Your mom and the 18 yr old in one cabin and your father and the 20 yr old in another. This is on paper only. When you get on the ship you just go to guest services and have them switch it around so that each of them have keys that work in the "real" cabins they will be in.

RRayson & Fire are correct. You may have to switch the bookings around a bit. That said we were permitted to book our 14 year old son, his friend and our 18 year old daughter in a room without an adult on one of our cruises. Sometimes it just depends on the knowledge level of the PVP.

The 18 year old is a legal adult you don't need any type of letter you just have to have someone 25 or older willing to be the "guardian". Not guardian as we normally think of it for a minor.

I would check with Carnival. But, I think you are correct. They are both adults. As long as there is someone in the cabin who is over 21. They're okay. It's the 18 yr old that needs the over 21 in the cabin. But, just to be on the safe side, just get a letter from the 18yr old's parent. It doesn't have to be notorized.

18 year olds don't need a letter from their parents, they are already adults.:rolleyes:

I was thinking we would have to switch the cabin names around. I didn't think we would need a letter, because my brother's best friend (19 yrs old) is coming and we weren't told he needed a letter. I think maybe our TA thought they would need a one because the parents were originally booked.

My brother & his friend are in their own cabin, but as firefly said, that may have been allowed because my parents are across the hall.

Archived