Name that cruise ship

tarheelmjfan

DH & I were watching the Travel channel a couple years ago, & there was a cruise ship that was absolutely beautiful. One of the decks was transformed into a Paris street, complete with shops, cafes, bakeries, & even street lights. Anyone have any idea what this ship might be? TIA :)

The Voyager Of The Seas (and it's 4 sister ships), have that promenade down the middle of the ship, with 2 or 3 decks of cabins looking down on the promenade, with shops and cafe's along it. It's been featured on Travel channel quite often.

It looked absolutely beautiful on the show. How is the food & attire? We booked with Celebrity this time, because I read so many good comments on the food. Also, we enjoy getting all dressed up. We want to dress formally for dinner, & want to sail on a ship where we won't feel out of place. If these ships offer both these things, we will definitely be cruising on one of them soon. :D

The Voyager-class ships have two formal nights where everyone goes to dinner dressed like royalty. :) The other nights are casual. We always wear church type dresses on casual nights. They have two diningrooms (you pay $20 per person) that are really nice and dressy also. The food is wonderful! We went on a Celebrity and the only thing different is that it is a little more adult oriented and Royal Caribbean is both family and adult. I assume you know they are owned by the same company?

Yeah, I know they are owned by the same company, but I've been spending most of my time hanging out on the Celebrity board. The info. there is understandably biased, & the RCCL line is made to sound like the poor stepsister. ;) We have a 13 yo., so family cruises are perfect for us. So, they have 2 specialty restaurants, along with the traditional restaurant? I love the idea of the specialty restaurants. Gives us another excuse to dress up. :D Sounds like it's just up our alley. I can't believe I'm already thinking about which ship to take our next cruise on, when our cruise coming up isn't until June. :p

They also have the windjammer and jade (buffet style) and Johnny Rockets (50's diner). Teens love to hang out there. I've been on Celebrity before and was dissapointed. The ships might be nice, but I don't feel they compare to the Voyager Class ships! Celebrity is very much a step down from RCCL, and I will believe that till I go to my grave. Though I think you will have a very nice time on your ship.

Celebrity is very much a step down from RCCL, and I will believe that till I go to my grave.

A step down? On what do you base this comment, as you have never been on Celebrity? Though I do like your resolve - on your deathbed ("... and I will believe that till I go to my grave.") you will still refuse to allow a fair comparison of product, just as you are doing now.

Sorry that one so young feels this way, but you do have that right. After all, God forbid you might actually find yourself wrong!

I didn't mean to start anything. :o I've read enough about Celebrity to know that we are going to have a great time. I do love the look of the Voyager class ships, & am glad to see that they have specialty restaurants, for the added dining options. We also love dressing up, & it looks like that won't be a problem either. It does seem that there's a lot of people who are dedicated to their favorite cruise line. I for one, will be happy try any of them that will give me great food & good entertainment. :D

As a true fan of RCI for many reasons - nightlife, fitness program, energy of the staff - I personally feel that Celebrity is superior in quite a few ways; the cabins are larger overall, the food and service of higher quality, the ships less crowded and more elegant. I have sailed with Celebrity three times and RCI 44. If I were still a single woman travelling, I would chose RCI. But now that I have "settled down" I would chose Celebrity above RCI. The only exception is Radiance class, which I think is the best that RCI has to offer.

You can keep those Voyager class ships that so many are fond of. WHile very pretty and innovative, they felt jam packed to me and the food was disappointing. Also, there are way too many families aboard for my taste. Celebrity is definitely more adult oriented and I have always appreciated that the most.

I went on one when I was 14. There was nothing for children to do onboard and the food wasnt top on mine or my parents list. The ship was nice, but run down. The ship was the Horizon.......also I thought the shows looked like a cheap broadway show (and yes I have been to many broadway shows so I know), and there was a comedian on ours that was so perverted that most of the people left during his preformance. I do believe it is a step down. And I honestly don't care to argue with you, because this is my opinion.

Although adults and older couples probably love the ships, the horizon will never again be on my list of ships to sail on.

Which of the ships have the above described deck & 2 specialty restaurants? We don't mind it being crowded. Actually, we enjoy visiting larger cities & being in the middle of the hustle & bustle. Our cruise to Alaska will be very much a departure from the norm., but we're still very excited about it. While the crowds don't bother us, we would be disappointed to find people in the dining room, at night, in their jeans & T-shirts. We would also be unhappy with 7 to 10 days of mediocre food. It's just our opinion, but we think that type of experience could be found anywhere. Even though we have a DS(13), he's not much of a socializer & will be spending his time with us. He is a foodie in his own right, & loves getting all dressed up in a tux. As I've said before, I think the ship looks beautiful. What I'm wondering is if the food & atmosphere (attire) would meet our expectations. Thanks again :)

Most lines have older ships that aren't representative of the line's overall experience. Unless I was planning on taking kids on a cruise, I wouldn't consider the words of a kid saying there is nothing for kids to do a knock on that line LOL.

The best advice you can get for kids programs is from the "kids". Does that make sense? No adults know how bored we were with the programs but US. They had about one activity per day. Most of the time it was a card game in the lounge. How fun is that?

Further more, in the Celebrity brocures it says that there is always a minimum of 3 staff onboard. On holidays they have around 7. That is for all of the 2-17 year olds on board. That's not something to brag about now is it? RCCL on the other hand has about 20 children staff members. Which sounds better to you?

For all adults considering this line for a family trip, read more on it. But this is really how it went.

And I don't know about the newer ships, but the Horizon needed a makeover three years ago, I wouldnt like to see it now.

But I do believe the newer ships must be better. I just wouldnt count on a kids program

Archived