Will all foods with Splenda be noted as "Diet"

paulandfran

Splenda doesnt give me any adverse reactions, so as a borderline diabetic, I am happy to have the option of a sugar free dessert, especially when on a cruise, where one tends to overdo the calories. I do understand however if a person has adverse reaction to it, that they would want to avoid it.

I cant imagine why they, ( Carnival ) would want to make food on the standard menu's with splenda. The only reason would be to make it lower calorie or low/zero sugar, therefore, should only be found on the "spa" menu. My advice is just to avoid the spa menu, and anything labled low calorie, or sugarfree at the Lido buffet. If you are very concerned then I would address my concerns to the cruiseline directly.

Have a great cruise.:)

Thanks Sparky!

Monsanto owns the rights to saccharin and Nutrasweet. And Saccharin does cause bladder cancer in rats. But they did further research and found that humans are different than rats (duh) and now they know it doesn't cause bladder cancer in humans. But that still doesn't mean it's safe. Since it's been proven it causes bladder cancer in rats but not in humans it makes sense that it could cause other types of cancer in humans that doesn't show up in rats because again rats and humans aren't exactly alike. Yet we take these substances that have been proven safe in rats and we assume it's safe for humans.

Also, Monsanto also spent over $8 million dollars on lobbying last year and over $8 million lobbying in 2008. Ever wonder why they need to spend so much money lobbying??

Anyway, like I said, your choice but if you run into health problems down the road it's something to consider.

You make it sound like Monsanto only spends the money on food products and nothing on the hundreds of other products they make.

You make it sound like Monsanto only spends the money on food products and nothing on the hundreds of other products they make.

But the question really should be, why do companies have to spend 8 million dollars a year lobbying PERIOD? What's that money being spent for exactly?

It's not paranoia if you react poorly to it. And no, sadly it isn't always marked as Splenda. More and more i find that I start getting the shaking after eating something, go check the ingredients and discover sucralose hidden in there with no mention anywhere of artificial sweeteners or Splenda. This isn't just sweet stuff, either.

I'm not saying don't eat it for others. My mother and MIL are both diabetic and love the stuff. But for those of us who react to it we have to be very careful because it's being used more and more in regular, everyday items like bread, salad dressings, I even discovered it's now in Listerine. Thankfully I don't ingest that. I've also found it in some juice drinks like the V8 fusion drinks. And it's not just a matter of reading labels once and thinking you are safe - several products have changed the formulation and I realized it when I reacted. Checked the old package I had of something and no sucralose, new one had it. :(

I hardly buy any packaged foods anymore because there's so much junk in everything. The labels are huge with all kinds of chemicals to make them more addictive so people will eat more of their products. I saw Michael Pollan on Oprah and he was explaining how even chickens are now being "engineered" to have huge breasts so they will have more white meat. He showed a video and the poor Pamela Anderson looking chickens can't even walk because they're so top heavy.

But anyway... I'm off my soapbox and if this info helps even one person it's worth any criticism I might take.

Have a good weekend and thanks again to all for the helpful suggestions!!

Francie :)

Splenda doesnt give me any adverse reactions, so as a borderline diabetic, I am happy to have the option of a sugar free dessert, especially when on a cruise, where one tends to overdo the calories. I do understand however if a person has adverse reaction to it, that they would want to avoid it.

I cant imagine why they, ( Carnival ) would want to make food on the standard menu's with splenda. The only reason would be to make it lower calorie or low/zero sugar, therefore, should only be found on the "spa" menu. My advice is just to avoid the spa menu, and anything labled low calorie, or sugarfree at the Lido buffet. If you are very concerned then I would address my concerns to the cruiseline directly.

Have a great cruise.:)

A lot of the stuff on the spa menu is fish (for example), like salmon, an entree that is lower in calorie, but isnt something that would have splenda. Or a appetizer with fewer calories ...the regular foods on the spa menu are not ones that would have sugar or splenda added to them.

The OP doesnt seem to like my idea of just avoiding anything SF and they will be safe ...SF cookies, cake, the desserts. I guess it would be too easy to avoid SF desserts, they want a more complicated answer.

I agree with you sparky, they are not going to be adding expensive splenda to regular foods just for the fun of it...but I dont agree there is anything I can think of on the spa menu that would have splenda added to it.

A lot of the stuff on the spa menu is fish (for example), like salmon, an entree that is lower in calorie, but isnt something that would have splenda. Or a appetizer with fewer calories ...the regular foods on the spa menu are not ones that would have sugar or splenda added to them.

The OP doesnt seem to like my idea of just avoiding anything SF and they will be safe ...SF cookies, cake, the desserts. I guess it would be too easy to avoid SF desserts, they want a more complicated answer.

I agree with you sparky, they are not going to be adding expensive splenda to regular foods just for the fun of it...but I dont agree there is anything I can think of on the spa menu that would have splenda added to it.

Fire, I do appreciate your advice to stay away from the Sugar Free products and I will definitely do that. Thanks!

I'm also going to look into it further just to be sure none of the sauces on the entrees or chilled soups or anything have Splenda in them. I really appreciate the helpful answers so many of you have given me.

Your ideas are too logical. ;)

The only sugar-free dessert on Carnival I won't indulge in is the pumpkin pie.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I've requested this thread be closed since so many wonderful people jumped in and were able to answer my question and now it's being cluttered by 5oclock and company just inferring I'm not logical. :rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks to all who helped, I wouldn't have even thought of sauces having Splenda in them.

Many thanks,

Francie

Archived