More snorkel questions

kguenther

Okay. I ordered snorkels/masks online after trying them on at a local dive shop. I got them in the mail yesterday. The mask fits really well, but the snorkel is confusing me....it is flexible and semi-dry and just flops over. Am I supposed to clip it onto my mask in order for it to stay upright? I was expecting a more rigid device....but I am a snorkel idiot. Any tips for attaching it? And once it is attached do I leave it so I know where the "right place" is?

Also, are there covers or something that you can buy to slip over the back of the mask strap to limit hair pulling? Any ideas where I can order these?

Thanks guys!

Yes, the snorkel should have some sort of device to hook onto the mask strap. The right placement is so the mask stays in place & the snorkel can be moved so it is the most comfortable in your mouth--do this before you get in the water.:) There are mask straps--called slap straps & probably other names--that replace the one that came w/it. They fasten onto the mask w/ velcro on each side and don't pull hair. The dive shops should have them-probably w/their logo or name on them. Enjoy

kguenther-

A lot of snorkels these days actually have some sort of a clip to attach to your mask strap, and this is usually more convenient if it fits your strap.

Otherwise, get some 'snorkel keepers'. Snorkel keepers look sort of like a dumbbell, and are fitted by putting one loop around the snorkel, passing the middle part around the mask strap, and then the second loop back around the snorkel. Most are made from silicone or plastic, but neoprene ones are the best if you can find them because they slide up and down the snorkel more easily. Always carry an extra, because it can be terribly inconvenient when they break.

To keep the strap from pulling your hair, get a neoprene mask strap. As silkismom said, one brand is Slap Strap. I prefer the no-velcro model, but DH prefers the velcro-adjustable strap. There are also neoprene covers that fit over the back of the existing mask strap, but there are areas that are not covered.

Also, the snorkel goes on the left side of your mask. That way, if you start diving later, you won't have to readjust.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

This is what I use on my snorkel. Makes it easier to just snap on and off the mask strap, for packing in a suitcase, etc.

They have a lot of cute strap covers here (scroll down). Just my personal preference, but I can't use these because somehow my strap always ends up getting twisted inside these covers, as cute as they are!

You might want to invest in one of these too, helps protect the mask, plus it also holds my defogger.

kguenther

First your snorkel should not be floppy. However, the snorkel you have maybe a "J" type. It should be adjustable about have way down from the top. This can be adjusted to how your face lays in the water,upright or more slanted. Yes it does attach to either side of the mask.

Few tips do not bite to hard on the month piece. If you chew through it it will leak. Also before putting your mask on while you're in the water spit in the mask and rub it around then give it a quick rinse. This prevents it from steaming up.

Don't put your mask on to tight the pressure in the water will help to seal it. If its to tight you will have quite a mark on your face.

Just breath normal through your month and relax. Have a great time.

Yes, I'm a WSIT, (Water Safety Instructor Trainer)

Archived