Packing for a 12 day journey

CruisinDoug

My DW and I will be sailing on the Summit from Seward to Vancouver with a 5 day cruise tour (#12) prior to sailing. I am wondering if anyone has a good plan for packing for those extra days without schlepping an extra suitcase?

I am assuming we will be wearing jeans and the like for most of the day during the land excursion, but might want to be a little dressier in the evenings. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, would it be appropriate to arrive in jeans for the start of the cruise on the last day of the excursion. We figure we will be pretty worn out by then and will really enjoy relaxing for 7 days.:)

For my last Alaskan cruise I went with the Seal skin coat, it was really cool onboard, but don’t wear it ashore, they’re so popular there, people will chase you with bats trying to take them away from you!

Hope this helps!

My DH and I went on a B2B last April for 24 nights. We are preparing to go to Hawaii for 14 nights with just carry-on luggage. My plan is all solid colors. Layers for warmth, and a few fun acccessories for changes. I used 2 1/2 gallon zip-lock bags to organise my suitcase. I could have one botom and two tops with undies for two plus days. That way I didn't have to unpack the whole suitcase to find outfits. It really worked well.

I would think arriving in anything would be fine as long as you change for dinner.

Have a great time!

Carol

When you get to your first hotel, they will tag the luggage that goes to the cruiseship and you will not see it again until you are in your stateroom. We pack 2 pieces of luggage that went to the ship and a smaller piece that stayed with us on the cruisetour. Jeans are not a good idea for Alaska as they soak up alot of moisture and will stay damp. You did not indicated when you are going but, we were there 2 years ago in late July and the weather was really warm. Had a pair of shorts, 2 pair of pants, several tops, a sweater, one warm up type suit, and a short allweather jacket. Hope that helps, have a fun time

We did the same 12 day time frame to Alaska.I would stay away from Jeans for 2 reasons they are heavy and if they get wet it takes them a long time to dry. The weather is unpredictable in the summer.We went June 20-July2 and hit a heat wave 84 in Anchorage to 94 in Fairbanks.70's in Denali No rain in Ketchican.I thought it was freezing cruising through Hubbard Glacier.Most people were dressed in jackets gloves hats although there was the 'brave soul 'out in shorts and tee shirt.

So my advise is layer.A lined windbreaker,some long and short sleeved shirts and pants.

We also brought space bags and 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags great for dirty laundry

Tried to pack for cruise and land tour in different suitcases,but that didn't work,as I needed alot of the "summery things' for the land tour.Have a wonderful time Alaska is AWSOME!

For our outdoor activities, we usually wore lightweight hiking pants from LLBean and waterproof shoes that could double as workout shoes. Some folks on our rainy day excursion wore jeans and they were cold & miserable. I like the idea of packing for 6 days & using the laundry. You can get just about all of it done for $100 or less.

Archived