Advice Please?

Hi, I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now, we haven't booked a cruise yet but are planning for late 2012. We have never been out of Australia so are looking at Vanuatu (Port Villa)so we have duty free shopping!! I'm after more advice on what is on offer on each of the stops - shopping , must do adventures/shore tours, etc. I'm quite happy to sit in front of the computer and read up on all these things - hubby could think of nothing worse. I did email P&O for Hubby last week and ask if there was any brochures that had on shore activities and Island info, but haven't heard back as yet. I have found that when I do go to there web site and started going through on shore activities after a few it goes back to Sydney activities - we've done most of them(this could be my fault - I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers!). I would appreciate any help/advice on this please, and not just organised tours. We're both assuming that a large percetage of $$$ stays in P&O's pocket so we're more than happy to organise things ourselves and help the locals. Any advice on which Ports would also be great, as it our 1st time we're only guessing whats the better places.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now, we haven't booked a cruise yet but are planning for late 2012. We have never been out of Australia so are looking at Vanuatu (Port Villa)so we have duty free shopping!! I'm after more advice on what is on offer on each of the stops - shopping , must do adventures/shore tours, etc. I'm quite happy to sit in front of the computer and read up on all these things - hubby could think of nothing worse. I did email P&O for Hubby last week and ask if there was any brochures that had on shore activities and Island info, but haven't heard back as yet. I have found that when I do go to there web site and started going through on shore activities after a few it goes back to Sydney activities - we've done most of them(this could be my fault - I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers!). I would appreciate any help/advice on this please, and not just organised tours. We're both assuming that a large percetage of $$$ stays in P&O's pocket so we're more than happy to organise things ourselves and help the locals. Any advice on which Ports would also be great, as it our 1st time we're only guessing whats the better places.

Thanks in advance

A lot depends on which ports you are actually going too. We have done a few Pacific cruises and mostly we just do it on our own. Vila we just catch the local taxi into the city and walk around. There is a market where the ship ties up to get your souvenirs. Just be carefull with buying wooden things because they will be taken off you when you board. Mystery island is a do it yourself as is Dravouni Walla and Champagne Bay. Bit hard to give you information when you don't know where you are going. :D mummsie

Thanks in advance

Welcome to cruise critic.

Do yourself a favour and look at cruises being offered by Royal Carribean, Princess, Celebrity & Holland America if you are wanting to do a summer cruise. These companies send down beautiful cruise ships. Have a look at their websites.

Also shop around for a price, eg online travel agents.

Also look at the ports of call section for information about shore excursions. The cruise companies will always sell the product at an inflated price, but sometimes that is the only way you can do a particular shore excursion. The other thing to remember if you are on a shore excursion organised by the cruise line, the ship will wait for you if the tour is running late.

And don't forget to take out travel insurance when you book a cruise, you don't have to take the insurance out through a travel agent. Have a read of the threads on here about travel insurance.

A lot depends on which ports you are actually going too. We have done a few Pacific cruises and mostly we just do it on our own. Vila we just catch the local taxi into the city and walk around. There is a market where the ship ties up to get your souvenirs. Just be carefull with buying wooden things because they will be taken off you when you board. Mystery island is a do it yourself as is Dravouni Walla and Champagne Bay. Bit hard to give you information when you don't know where you are going. :D mummsie

The only wooden items held by the ship's security (until disembarkation in Sydney or wherever) are items such as spears or clubs that could be categorised as weapons. Other wooden items are OK. Just make sure there aren't any borers otherwise Australian Quarantine officers will either confiscate it or charge you to fumigate it. If you don't see any borer holes you are probably OK with the item.

Put your wooden items in a green garbage bag - spray inside the bag with baygon surface spray - tie it off. When you are ready to pack - shake the bag and remove the items.

Should kill anything.

cheers

Archived