What are the chances of changing to early dining?

Hi all. So, I booked my cruise on the Carnival Splendor (sailing in September 2010) later than I normally would have. I knew that early dining would be full, but I still wanted to go. What I am wondering, if anyone has experienced this, is how likely I will be able to get early dining if I have been waitlisted for it (only for 2 people). Is there anything I can do, palms I can grease, people I can plead with? I really like to eat early because I get up at 6am and exercise! Or, how likely would it be to get a table for only 2 people at late dining. I love the main dining room, but hate that it takes so darn long. I figure if only 2 people are at a table, then service might be quicker and we can get out of there before midnight! Please advise. Thanks!

All of your request are possible, and if it doesn't happen before you board, you can see the Maitre'd when you board and ask to be changed. But you might want to be flexible about your request for a table for two.

Why not try Anytime Dining? It works very well for two people, and if you want to eat early, it opens 15 minutes before early dining. My DH and I on most ships could get a table for two in Anytime dining as long as we arrived before 6:15-6:30.

I don't mind sitting with others at early dining. I just like to eat early. I thougt if I couldn't switch to earlier dining, perhaps having a table for two in late dining might speed up service. Anytime dining would be nice as well, but there is also a waitlist for that too!

Has anyone been able to change from late dining to early? Does this require tipping someone when we get on board?

When you get on board, go to the Maitre D' (usually between 2-3pm, check the Funtimes). Best bet would be to let them know that you would do either Your Time dining or Early seating.

There were 2 of us that were in the same situation as you (like to eat early and got late seating). We couldn't get our time changed, so we just decided to eat up at the Buffet for the cruise. There is some of the same entrees that is in the MDR. In fact, some of the food was much better up there and hot.

Hi all. So, I booked my cruise on the Carnival Splendor (sailing in September 2010) later than I normally would have. I knew that early dining would be full, but I still wanted to go. What I am wondering, if anyone has experienced this, is how likely I will be able to get early dining if I have been waitlisted for it (only for 2 people). Is there anything I can do, palms I can grease, people I can plead with? I really like to eat early because I get up at 6am and exercise! Or, how likely would it be to get a table for only 2 people at late dining. I love the main dining room, but hate that it takes so darn long. I figure if only 2 people are at a table, then service might be quicker and we can get out of there before midnight! Please advise. Thanks!

As soon as you board the ship grab a copy of the Fun Times to see what time the Maitre` D will be available. MAKE sure you pay close attention to what dining room he will be in as well. If you aren't familiar with how to get there take a few minutes and find it ahead of time. You will want to be there at least 15 minutes before the time listed as there will already be a line waiting. We've always had luck with getting what we need and never offered money up front to do it.

As soon as you board the ship grab a copy of the Fun Times to see what time the Maitre` D will be available. MAKE sure you pay close attention to what dining room he will be in as well. If you aren't familiar with how to get there take a few minutes and find it ahead of time. You will want to be there at least 15 minutes before the time listed as there will already be a line waiting. We've always had luck with getting what we need and never offered money up front to do it.

But that's a good reason to tip the Maitre 'D at the end of the cruise if you get his help (another thread, I know).

We are in the same situation...but all three dining times are waitlisted so they just put us on the list for the one we wanted most...I cannot do late dining, DD has a stomach issue and can't eat too late as she will be up all night...and eating in the Lido each night is not an option...I LOVE eating in the MDR we do it for breakfast and lunch when we get a chance too...just hope they can either give us the My Time of the early...

On the Dream we got late seating and they were able to switch it to Early for us, although we got a table in a private room so there were only 8 or 10 tables...it was OK, but not the same experience as the MDR...

Not sure how you booked, but if you did it through a PVP, call and ask if they can email the maitre' d about a week ahead of time. My sis had been waitlisted and our PVP emailed maitre' d, and her requested time was on her S and S card at checkin.

Archived