Tiputa Drift Snorkel -- Rangiroa

ddgg

Has anybody taken this excursion? I'll be in Rangiroa this fall and am thinking of taking this excursion. Have my own equipment and am taking swimming / snorkeling lessons. Should be an average swimmer when I get there. I have heard several negative reports about this excursion, which may be unfounded, such as:

Don't do this unless you are a strong swimmer

Too deep to see a lot of fish

Strong currents can smack you into coral, etc.

I like to relax when I snorkel. Any input will be appreciated.

I would also like an answer to the OP's question.

This was originally on the Scuba & Snorkeling board, but no one replied to the OP (who posed the question in 2008), or me. Hopefully, someone on this board will reply.

Also, we have our own masks & snorkels, but not fins. Is it possible to rent fins from the ship (Royal Princess) to use for the 10 day cruise? We may go snorkeling on our own at various places, and I would prefer not to have to buy and pack fins.

Thanks

My buddy and his wife did a Princess excursion that snorkeled the pass. From what he told me, they could have easily have done this on their own. Just take the tender in, walk over to the pass, and jump in. The pass is deep in the middle, they saw SCUBA divers below them, and the current can be swift, depending on if the tide is flowing in or out. From what I have read, this is not your typical float around looking at fish snorkel excursion, but you may spot larger species in the current (i.e. dolphins, sharks, etc.). I plan on diving when I am there in December and am looking forward to the experience. I'm sorry if I couldn't specifically answer your questions, but maybe somebody else can give more insight.

Also, we have our own masks & snorkels, but not fins. Is it possible to rent fins from the ship (Royal Princess) to use for the 10 day cruise? We may go snorkeling on our own at various places, and I would prefer not to have to buy and pack fins.

Thanks

Sorry but Princess does not rent out snorkeling equipment on any of their ships anymore. You will either have to pack fins or snorkel without them as there is no other way in Tahiti.

Just a tip though. We purchased smaller travel fins for our last cruise around Tahiti and they work just as good as the larger ones and much easier to pack in the luggage, you might consider having a look at those and see if they might work for you. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I suspected that the ship would not have fins for rent. I will, however, look into the smaller fins you mentioned.

Toto's right. We bought the smaller (traveler) fins at the scuba shop....light weight plastic and shorter. Tried them out in the pool and they work great. Like them better than the ones they usually give you on the snorkel tours in the Caribbean. They have a strap around the heel instead of the cup type which I thought might bother me so I got the booties to wear with the fins.

My buddy and his wife did a Princess excursion that snorkeled the pass. From what he told me, they could have easily have done this on their own. Just take the tender in, walk over to the pass, and jump in. The pass is deep in the middle, they saw SCUBA divers below them, and the current can be swift, depending on if the tide is flowing in or out. From what I have read, this is not your typical float around looking at fish snorkel excursion, but you may spot larger species in the current (i.e. dolphins, sharks, etc.). I plan on diving when I am there in December and am looking forward to the experience. I'm sorry if I couldn't specifically answer your questions, but maybe somebody else can give more insight.

I would be interested in hearing more about snorkeling Tiputa pass on our own. This sounds like it can be done without a guide and is possible to access with a short walk? Anyone have more detail?

• 3 weeks later...

Coach, my son, granddaughter and I have signed up with TOPdive-Bathys MOOREA, through Wendy in their office. Who will you dive with?

All the research that I have gathered seems to indicate one cannot get to or do the pass independently without a guide as it is out in deep water with strong currents and is the channel used by boats. We have booked a snorkel tour of the pass and aquarium with Raie Manta Club.

http://www.raiemantaclub.com/rangi-uk.htm

After we return from our Nov/Dec trip I will post back to let people know what our experience was like and if in fact it seems that it could have been done without a guide.

This was originally on the Scuba & Snorkeling board, but no one replied to the OP (who posed the question in 2008), or me. Hopefully, someone on this board will reply.

Thanks

we don't pack our fins only mask and snorkel--we just use ones provided on excursions--although I prefer my shorter surfer fins--just take what they have aboard--just can't stand the idea of using the group snorkels--I know that they say some have been sterialized--you can easily pack a snorkel and be happy about it.--A few years ago we were in San Juan before a cruise and walked over to the cruise/travel center--they had a snorkel trip that included a new snorkel for you to keep for the price of the excursion--have only seen this offer once--makes sense.

Nancy:D

Seal, I have never had fins provided on any excursion in Tahiti. Maybe we have taken different excursions, but if anything has been provided, it has been snorkel and mask only (and that has been on only a few selected tours) and the equipment has been quite old that we saw supplied. We always take our own snorkel and mask, but now include smaller travel fins as there are some snorkeling areas that you really need to have fins to swim because of the current.

Seal, I have never had fins provided on any excursion in Tahiti. Maybe we have taken different excursions, but if anything has been provided, it has been snorkel and mask only (and that has been on only a few selected tours) and the equipment has been quite old that we saw supplied. We always take our own snorkel and mask, but now include smaller travel fins as there are some snorkeling areas that you really need to have fins to swim because of the current.

Am I losing my mind and mixing up FP with Caribbean--We just had Stand up for Cancer on TV--what a program--during this time I asked John about the fins--he seems to think that they were on most cruises--now---you've got me doubting myself---the more I think about the fins the less I know--and I thought I really knew it all about fins--maybe tomorrow will be better and I will be smarter.

Nite all,

Nancy:D:D

Raie Manta Club (Rangiroa) have advised me that they do provide fins, masks, snorkel and wet suits for their snorkel excursions. I believe some of the operators on other island independent excursions we are doing also provide equipment.

I would double check with other private tour operators though. In 7 cruises to Tahiti, I have only seen fins provided on once, and come to think of it (after searching my memory backs, which sometimes takes awhile :)) It was the ships booked snorkel excursion through the pass in Rangiroa. If you have private tours booked on other islands, I would make sure they will also provide them for you, as we have always had to take our own. The reason I had forgotten about Rangiroa is that last fall was the first stop we made there. :o

Am I losing my mind and mixing up FP with Caribbean--We just had Stand up for Cancer on TV--what a program--during this time I asked John about the fins--he seems to think that they were on most cruises--now---you've got me doubting myself---the more I think about the fins the less I know--and I thought I really knew it all about fins--maybe tomorrow will be better and I will be smarter.

Nite all,

Nancy:D:D

Nancy, I finally remembered this AM that we were provided fins in Rangiroa on the Ships snorkeling tour, but other than Rangiroa, I do not remember ever being provided fins on other tours on different islands. It was the reason we bought the travel fins, as we had to go without for most of our visits to FP.

I didn't want you questioning your memory completely. lol

Just had another email back from Bruno in Raiatea/Tahaa and he provides equipment for his tours though recommends having your own.

I have seen Bruno provide older snorkels and masks, but not fins???? And we have taken two of his tours in the past.

Many of these tour operators provide minimal equipment, but it isn't in very good shape and usually quite old and warn. In other words, nothing I would be interested in using and almost not worth using. ;) We always travel with our own snorkel and mask, it was the fins mainly we missed out on the first few trips to Tahiti as there just weren't any to be had to borrow. ;)

We went ahead and bought those smaller travel fins. I think they will pack very well without taking up a lot of room.

We always take our own snorkel and mask, but now include smaller travel fins as there are some snorkeling areas that you really need to have fins to swim because of the current.

I can swim, but I'm not a 'strong' swimmer. In addition to the fins, we also got snorkeling vests. The currents are mentioned in most of the tour descriptions I've seen.

Are the currents strong enough to the point I should be worried? On some of the islands, we wanted to spend some time just walking around and finding nice beaches to snorkel from.

We went ahead and bought those smaller travel fins. I think they will pack very well without taking up a lot of room.

I can swim, but I'm not a 'strong' swimmer. In addition to the fins, we also got snorkeling vests. The currents are mentioned in most of the tour descriptions I've seen.

Are the currents strong enough to the point I should be worried? On some of the islands, we wanted to spend some time just walking around and finding nice beaches to snorkel from.

May I join the 'not a strong swimmer club'? :)

I am just like you, I can swim, but I don't swim enough to ever get my swimming skills up to where I am comfortable enough to swim in deep water or currents without a snorkel vest, so it always comes along with me. In fact, I just bought a new flowered one for our upcoming trip (easier to spot me in the sea of yellow snorkeling vests :)).

We have only encountered a few places where there were very strong currents, but those are usually in places where you have a snorkeling guide with you on a tour. Off the beach, I have never encountered anything bad enough to warrant any worry. You will have a wonderful time snorkeling in Tahiti, it is the best we have ever found. Even better than the Great Barrier Reef in our opinion. ;)

I keep reading about "travel fins" never heard of them--and never looked for them--I use small fins (surfer fins)--they are just the hard rubber just slightly longer than your feet--known here as surfer fins--unfortunately I'm getting so claustrophobic that I can hardly if ever put the mask on--I have several and have been told the totally clear rimmed one is the one to use in this case--not good for me--

Short fins are becoming very popular on our coast--I wonder if the travel fins are around here since we have several surf stores and sporting goods outlets here because of the ocean--and not needing to travel....

Also, with my poor memory I believe that Bruno does not want you using fins in the Coral Gardens--maybe water shoes--because of damage to coral--

Nancy:D

I'm expecting corrections to my poor memory

Hi--have been in touch with Raie Manta and this is what they sent me. Haven't decided what we're doing yet, as another company I was looking into from your posts sent me back that they will be doing some kind of research for some kind of film and won't be avaliable for the day when we're in port, but they said that there are lotsa tours available when we disembark on Oahutu (something like that) wharf......We'll be in Rangiroa on Jan 2--so if you're interested, pls e-mail these people back with your date....This is what they e-mailed me:

Thanks for your message.

We organize snorkeling tour, from 9h-9h30 at the peer.

Duration around a 1h30.

Price 3900 xpf local money (1 euro = 119.33 xpf)

Payment by cash, please.

There’s a tour at the blue lagoon the same day, same pick up time.

Duration from 9h30 to 15h00.

Price 7500 xpf

Payment by cash, please.

Good luck with what you choose--hope this helps you as you folks have helped me.

We were on the Tahitian Princess in 2005 and did a Tiputa pass snorkel tour. Depending on the weather, maybe there are occasional times where you can just jump in and go through. However, when we were there the current was very strong and who knows where we would have ended up without a boat and guide.

We took our own masks, snorkels and fins -- shorty fins which were good for travel. Our guide looked at our fins and laughed at them -- and then handed us full size long scuba fins. Lightweight wetsuits too. We jumped in the water from the boat and immediately held hands. Otherwise, we would have quickly drifted apart. Expect a STRONG current that really moves you along.

Great sights and a wonderful tour. We're going back in January and we want to do it again. But jumping in the water from shore? Bad idea. Get a guided tour and be safe.

I'm also looking for a guided tour. So far, I'm hearing that the guided tours don't want to do cruise ships -- too much trouble.

We were on the Tahitian Princess in 2005 and did a Tiputa pass snorkel tour. Depending on the weather, maybe there are occasional times where you can just jump in and go through. However, when we were there the current was very strong and who knows where we would have ended up without a boat and guide.

We took our own masks, snorkels and fins -- shorty fins which were good for travel. Our guide looked at our fins and laughed at them -- and then handed us full size long scuba fins. Lightweight wetsuits too. We jumped in the water from the boat and immediately held hands. Otherwise, we would have quickly drifted apart. Expect a STRONG current that really moves you along.

Great sights and a wonderful tour. We're going back in January and we want to do it again. But jumping in the water from shore? Bad idea. Get a guided tour and be safe.

I'm also looking for a guided tour. So far, I'm hearing that the guided tours don't want to do cruise ships -- too much trouble.

Freddie at Raie Manta tours is offering us (Dec. 29 Tahitian Princess) a 1.5 hr tour for 3900 francs. You can e-mail him by googling the name--he answered me---I'm waiting to get confirmation back that he got my e-mail.....

Archived