St Vincent ????

cruisingallover

Closest clean, safe and calm beach......preferably walkable? ===> Nope.

Any must sees?

Closest shopping to pier?

St.Vincent's a comparatively primitive and rudimentary stop.

If you're an eco-freako, you'll find it a lot like Dominica and you may like it.

But it sure as heck is no Barbados or Sint Maarten, let's be clear about that.

The Wild Man side of me loves St.Vincent..

memories from my days as a younger man, diving its waters for rare specimen seashells

(if you can say Conus cedonulli, I was The Source..)

- but My Wife,The City Girl can't stand the place! ;)

An additional factor is that (like Jamaica) a lot of marijuana is grown up in the hills

and this has encouraged a criminal element amongst some of the locals.

I'm told Kingstown isn't what it used to be back in the late 70s and early 80's

when I walked about barefoot as I pleased -like a local,with local friends.

There isn't much shopping to be had within grotty Kingstown as it is

so your best bet is to either take a ship's tour somewhere(outlying islands?)

or take a taxi out to the Villa/Indian Bay area where there are a few beachside hotels

looking out at scenic Young Island, just 300 yards offshore.

A Falls of Baleine boat trip up to the Northern tip of the island

is a great way to spend the day, see the whole wild island -along the Western flank of the volcano!

• 3 weeks later...

I love St. Vincent, and "grotty" Kingstown is a bustling friendly commercial hub with a colourful market and lots of street life.

As APLMAC says, St. Vincent is not much of a beach island but if you have time, Brighton Beach is one of a kind (but make sure you take water and a picnic as all the facilities have been closed every time I have been there). Also make sure you have a reliable taxi driver to take you there and pick you up for the return journey.

If you are short of time, and you can't do without a beach and beach bar, then go to the area called Villa (about 20 minutes max from the cruise port) and hang out at Beachcombers. The beach is golden and black sand, mostly black, and can be muddy if there has been a lot of rain. Or go more upscale and head across the small cut to Young Island resort (it would be a good idea to call first and let them know you are coming - make sure they know you are going to have lunch, otherwise you might be turned away)

Alternately, and again if time permits, take one of the regular ferries or the fast ferry over to nearby Bequia and go to Lower Bay. There you will find a traditional Caribbean beach and at least 3 friendly beach bars. I've posted links to the schedules elsewhere on this part of the forum.

Honestly though, my favourite thing on St. Vincent is a drive through the Mespo Valley and up to Montreal Gardens. Alternately, go to the historic Botanical Gardens in Kingstown - use one of the local guides with a licence (from inside the gates, not outside). Tip generously as they are knowledgeable and this is their only income.

Archived