Question for molokini/lanai past snorkelers

annecolorgreen

I am debating canceling our PWF snorkeling excursion for three reasons. #1 we have limited time to just hang out in Maui. #2 we are staying in Ka'anapali and I understand the snorkeling around black rock is amazing. #3 I've heard the snorkeling at Molokini isn't what it used to be.

I would hate to cancel and then regret later. Any thoughts?

(we have snorkeled before and will have our own equipment and plan to snorkel on other islands during our cruise)

Thanks!

I did the snorkling trip to Molokini in Maui and in Kona Captain Cooks.

And they are part of my fondest memories. Do it!

I am going back August 28th on Pride of America with a friend who doesn't snorkel. So I'm glad I have done those snorkel tours. They BBQ hamburgers while we snorkled. Be sure and book in the morning, the water is more clear, less wind!

I have snorkeled at several sites in Hawaii. I personally thought Molokini was only average at best - but thats just my opinion. The ride out and back was fun, and they had good food, but for an experienced snorkeler and diver, it was kind of a let down for me from all the hype it gets.

Depnds on your time in port, and if you get a car at any of the stops. Not sure which ship you are on - but if you stop at Kona on the big island - there are really good snorkel trips from the cruise ships excursions, or other local vendors within taxi range. Captain Zodiac and Fairwinds both receive great reviews here on cruise critic, and K-bay is a great spot. By car, some of my favorites were Two Step near the Place of Refuge from Kona and Haunama Bay from Honolulu. Tunnels beach on Kauai was pretty decent too, but not as impressive as the others listed above.

We rented a car at King Kam hotel and drove straight to, and parked at The Place of Refuge. That was on my list of things to see our day in Kona. We got there early before the tour buses arrived, and there were only about 5-10 people there besides us when we toured the grounds. We spent about 1.5 hours touring the grounds (beautiful), and then changed into swim gear in the public bathrooms there in the park, and walked over to Two Step. You will see Two step and the people there as you tour Place of Refuge. Its only a short walk north - maybe a couple hundred yards from the parking lot to Two Step. Its not your normal beach - it is a past lava flow into the ocean. Very little sand as I recall. Its really a place to snorkel or dive. I just jumped in off the lava, and there were amazing fish everywhere!! There are some refreshment concessions there since it is a very popular place for snorkeling and diving.

Steve

Thanks for the info we will be docking in Hilo figure our time at shore is about 9-4 from what I can find out the snorkeling is on the Kona side not the Hilo side. We have a private guide lined up just trying to figure out where to go.

I have never snorkeled from the Hilo side. I haven't heard any reports on it either. Most everyone stopping in Hilo from cruise ships will visit or fly over Volcano National Park as a must see, then time permitting - check out the great waterfalls and botanical gardens around Hilo. Good luck with your trip. There is so much to do and see, and so little time to squeeze it in when crusing Hawaii!!

For the Molokini past snorkelers - any tour companies to recommend? I am looking at Pride of Maui and Four Winds right now. They both look to have easy access snorkel ladders which is very important to me.

In Kona I would like to snorkel at Place of Refuge and tour a coffee plantation.

Any recommendations for a snorkel tour or beach in Kuai?

We rented a car at King Kam hotel and drove straight to, and parked at The Place of Refuge. That was on my list of things to see our day in Kona. We got there early before the tour buses arrived, and there were only about 5-10 people there besides us when we toured the grounds. We spent about 1.5 hours touring the grounds (beautiful), and then changed into swim gear in the public bathrooms there in the park, and walked over to Two Step. You will see Two step and the people there as you tour Place of Refuge. Its only a short walk north - maybe a couple hundred yards from the parking lot to Two Step. Its not your normal beach - it is a past lava flow into the ocean. Very little sand as I recall. Its really a place to snorkel or dive. I just jumped in off the lava, and there were amazing fish everywhere!! There are some refreshment concessions there since it is a very popular place for snorkeling and diving.

Actually there is a turn off, just before the toll both of Port of Refuge National Park, that you turn off to the right. This takes you right to a great snorkle entry. Parking all along the side of the road. Superb snorkling.

Our group went on the Pride of Maui for Molokini. It had a ladder for fairly easy access to the water. The food was pretty good too. No complaints about Pride of Maui from us. As I said earlier, I thought the snorkel experience was only average at Molokini. It is much better at Two Step next to the Place of Refuge, or anywhere around K-bay south of Kona. My favorite beach on Kauai is Tunnels beach on the north shore. But asking people's opinions about beaches on Kauai is about like asking their opinions of the food there - ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers. The biggest issue with the north shore beaches on Kauai is parking. You need to get there somewhat early to not have to look all over for a spot.

Our group went on the Pride of Maui for Molokini. It had a ladder for fairly easy access to the water. The food was pretty good too. No complaints about Pride of Maui from us. As I said earlier, I thought the snorkel experience was only average at Molokini. It is much better at Two Step next to the Place of Refuge, or anywhere around K-bay south of Kona. My favorite beach on Kauai is Tunnels beach on the north shore. But asking people's opinions about beaches on Kauai is about like asking their opinions of the food there - ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers. The biggest issue with the north shore beaches on Kauai is parking. You need to get there somewhat early to not have to look all over for a spot.

Thank you. I need a ladder that extends down into the water far enough that I do not have to get my knee up real high to get onto the ladder, and good handrails. Due to arthritis in my hips and knee I have issues with bending them too far. I have discovered that sail boats and zodiacs are not for me. Larger catamarans usually have proper equipment for me. I love snorkeling from the beach, too. However, the coral there is usually damaged from all the visitors who do not know not to touch it!

I feel as if we "have" to snorkel Molikini, although I hear it is very cold in the water there. I am excited to try Place of Refuge - I am just a bit nervous about finding the place! BQ offered a suggestion as to where to go, just nervous about finding it, too.....

BQ - can you see the toll booth from the turn off you mentioned?

I am debating canceling our PWF snorkeling excursion for three reasons. #1 we have limited time to just hang out in Maui. #2 we are staying in Ka'anapali and I understand the snorkeling around black rock is amazing. #3 I've heard the snorkeling at Molokini isn't what it used to be.

I would hate to cancel and then regret later. Any thoughts?

(we have snorkeled before and will have our own equipment and plan to snorkel on other islands during our cruise)

Thanks!

I have done both as we stayed a couple times at the Sheraton Black Rock. It is very easy to snorkel there as you can walk right in from the beach. Watch for one of the locals who has fish food in his pockets. I must tell you there ins't much if any coral there except out on the actual point. Alongside the rock is where most of the fish are. I did Molkini 2 years ago and I was disappointed. The reef is along the shore and only goes out about 30 feet and then the bottom turns just rocky. To be quite honest with you there are better places to snorkel right from shore if you are at Ka'anapli. Directly in front of the Westin the coral starts about 20 feet from shore. Tons of fish and eels!! Do this in the morning before the sand gets riled up. Also there is a park (and I forget the name) headed back towards the rocky point you drive around coming fromm Kahalui. You will see the folks cars alongside the road. Just wade out and enjoy!!

Aloha Kenn

Kenn--Mahalo! That is exactly what I needed!

You're welcome, glad I could be of some help. Of all our ravles al over the world, we love Ka'anpali the best. From LaHaina back North to the Westin is where I want to be everyday. The sunsets there are the absolute best. And they have Moose Maglliicudy's (sp?) in LaHaina best breakfasts on the island. Also CHeesburger In Paradise there in LaHaina has the best Coconut Shrimp I have ever eaten. I am so jealous. Go and have agreat time

Kenn

Thank you. I need a ladder that extends down into the water far enough that I do not have to get my knee up real high to get onto the ladder, and good handrails. Due to arthritis in my hips and knee I have issues with bending them too far. I have discovered that sail boats and zodiacs are not for me. Larger catamarans usually have proper equipment for me. I love snorkeling from the beach, too. However, the coral there is usually damaged from all the visitors who do not know not to touch it!

I feel as if we "have" to snorkel Molikini, although I hear it is very cold in the water there. I am excited to try Place of Refuge - I am just a bit nervous about finding the place! BQ offered a suggestion as to where to go, just nervous about finding it, too.....

BQ - can you see the toll booth from the turn off you mentioned?

It is VERY simple. The turn off for the National Park is well marked. There is ONE turn off, to the right, just before you get to the entrance. Takes you right to the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

I have snorkelled in most of the above spots, Molokini was pretty good, I enjoyed it but it can get quite rough. If you are short on time like most cruise ports are, black rock is great but can get crowded. I really recommend snorkelling in Kona. I have snorkelled in a lot of places and it ranks my #1 so far. I couldn't even get my flippers on and there was fish everywhere. Kona has so many neat places, but a great two for one is the cultural experience of Place of Refuge, (loved it) and the two step snorkelling just a few minutes walk, just leave your car in the parking lot of the Place of Refuge, and walk. Easy to put fins on and edge on in, very easy. Also a very neat white church just up the street, painted all inside, cute quick stop. Enjoy, I loved it very much.

LP

Archived