Stroller or carrier

med9114u

We are taking our daughter, who will turn 1 on her first cruise in November. Are we better off bringing our stroller, a back pack style carrier or both? Do not have a carrier yet, but am looking to get one. We have 3 cabins, so I can store stuff in my parents if needed.

Thanks

We're bringing both. A Joovy Kooper stroller and an Ergo Sport carrier. (Also a solarveil ring sling for the water, as needed.)

If you don't have a carrier yet and your baby is already a year, I'd highly recommend either any model Ergo or a Boba. I got mine here at Quirky Baby They ship free and often have specials, like free babylegs with purchase, etc.

For our Dec 09 cruise on RC's Freedom, we took a carrier and stroller (my DD was 9 months then). In fact, we actually brought 2 stollers - brought our Baby Trend jogging stroller and our Combi Flare one. Mind you, my parents also came with us and had an accessible cabin, so we were able to store the monster stroller there. We used the jogging stroller in Labadee and during embarkation/debarkation and the Combi everywhere else (ports and around the ship).

As for carrier, I used a babytrekker. I also have an Ergo, but my DD hated it. The carrier came in handy when we wandering through the crowded Promenade deck (during Freedom fest) and during excursions (in Grand Cayman, there were 2 other families that brought jogging strollers and it took up a lot of room. I had her in the carrier, and we brought the Combi as a backup. Because the Combi folded up nicely, and DD was snug in her carrier (she was strapped to my front, facing frontwards) we had no problems on the small tour bus).

We're heading back on Freedom at the end of this month, and we're doing both strollers & the carrier again (we're also driving down from Toronto, ON, Canada to Port Canaveral, so we don't have to worry about extra baggage fees).

another vote for both - we brought our quinny zapp and maya wrap ring sling, which was great for muster drill and getting on and off the plane, but the stroller was essential for getting around the ports.

Sailing with 11 mo. old in November. We are thinking that we should bring stroller that carries the car seat. The little one hates to be in the car seat for too long. So we are also considering bringing along the other light weight stroller as well. Thought he'd be happier in "umbrella-type" on board and on excursions. Cabin space for storage will not be a problem. Question: Would 2 strollers be a problem at the airport? Can we check both at the gate?

We just got off the Jewel today with out 1 year old and just used a stroller. I saw many infants on board but no carriers. It seems like people on this cruise just used the stroller!

our kids were always in the upper percentiles for wgt & length-- so it never benefited us to keep in the infant carrier much past 6mo-- since I didnt like carrying that much weight in the infant carrier and one of our infant carriers actually had a limit of ~20#-- so cant provide too much input.

Would try to bring one stroller myself. Also developmentally converting to regular stroller vs infant carrier will likely be of benefit-- since the kids dont sit up the same way in an infant carrier vs stroller

and snack tray, reclining option, sun shade cover, storage-- all would also factor in for me

at that age we travelled with stroller and wearing carrier (not infant car seat carrier)

We took both a backpack carrier and a full size stroller (Peg Perego Pliko P3) and don't regret it. The stroller was great for roaming the ship at a casual pace, and for allowing my son to sleep. Plus, especially in the evening, it was great that I didn't have to carry the backpack while I was dressed up. :) The backpack was great if I wanted to explore the ship without the hassle of waiting for the elevator for each floor. It was also great around the ports (strollers don't do well in sand). If I had to do it over again, I would definitely bring both again; however, if space was an issue, then I'd go for the stroller. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Not that you want to buy a stroller but...the Maclaren Techno XLR is an umbrella stoller that comes with an adaptor bar for an infant car seat. The seat reclines so you can use it with or without the car seat. We'll be taking this with the car seat for our then 7 month old (he loves his car seat) on our November cruise so we have options. Will also take a carrier...we'll decide which one depending on how big he is in November.

Should have mentioned that this will be our 3 year old's third cruise and agree with others that having both has been helpful. Mostly used the stroller but the carrier was nice in port.

Another vote for both. My lightweight stroller was a Combi Savy ($6 used off craigslist, it's dead now, but we got our money worth on 5 trips) and my carrier of choice was Maya Ring Sling. Strollers are great and necessary, but carriers go places strollers don't, like through sand, up stairs, and over coblestones. The carrier was also nice b/c if she fell asleep on the bus I picked her up once. No pick up, carry off, then put down on stroller. Too many times to wake her up. But this has all been said before, I just had to agree for emphasis.

We're bringing both- an umbrella stroller and a backpack carrier- for our 29 lb 11 month old. Granted, we also have a 2.5 year old and we plan to use the stroller for her in the airport and for longer stretches, but strollers aren't good on the beach, so I think the backpack carrier will be a big help there. Similarly I think the stroller is easier to tool around the ship. I say if you have the room, bring 'em both!

We have an Ergo Sport and it's much cooler than a regular Ergo. (It's a poly/cotton blend that wicks sweat away, versus the original Ergo which is more of a cotton canvas.) There is also a new Performance Ergo, but I don't have that one.

Space isn't really an issue with an Ergo. It takes up as much room as a small hoodie/jacket would for me.

We love our Ergo Sport (DD is 4 mo). It has a very high weight limit and can be used either at either the front, back or hip (we use the former, you'd probably go with one of the latter). The Sport carrier does does not have a little zippy pocket, although you can add a little pouch that can attach to the strap.

The rest of this advice is great - I'm mainly commenting so I can look this thread up later, before we buy an umbrella stroller (and I'm now contemplating a few more types of sling)...

Oh thanks!

I wasn't sure if I should go with the Ergo Sport or the regular one? The regular one looks more 'breezy' than the sport...less coverage. I think i'll go and try them on. I definitely like the look of the sport better :) And I think it would be better for men too than the regular Ergo.

Archived