Please help me with Day 1 on Maui!

Sunny AZ Girl

I am trying to figure out timing for our two days in Maui during our POA cruise next May. I know we want to snorkel at Molokini with Four Winds II or Pride of Maui on day 2, then the beach. They have a 7:30 AM time to be at the dock. I was figuring it would be no problem if we already had a rental car from Day 1. However, from the reviews that I have read the Road to Hana seems to be the big draw. DH has made it clear that a rental car would NOT be an option for us for the RTH. So......here is my dilemma.......

Option 1: Tour for TRH through the ship excursion on Day 1 and rental car on Day 2 only. My concern is the time it would take to get a rental and then get over to the snorkel dock. Getting our crew moving in time in the early AM is a concern if it means we have to spend a lot of extra time getting the rental car....and how early does the car rental open?

Option 2: Rent a car for the whole time. Day 1 take a self-guided tour to the western parts of the island, including the Tropical Plantation and Ioa State Park, then possibly ocean center and time in Lahaina. Day 2 use our rental to go on the Molokini snorkel as planned.

You are all the best...I know you will help me out.:D

If you reserve the car in advance and sign up for the company's program, like "Hertz #1 Club" or "Thrifty Blue Chip" then they already have all your rental and payment info, and you can fly through the process of picking up the car.

What is DH's issue with the rental? Not wanting to drive?

If you reserve the car in advance and sign up for the company's program, like "Hertz #1 Club" or "Thrifty Blue Chip" then they already have all your rental and payment info, and you can fly through the process of picking up the car.

What is DH's issue with the rental? Not wanting to drive?

He does not want to drive those roads. He would prefer to take a tour. He is fine with driving a less challenging course than the road to Hana. He says that does not sound like a vacation to him.

He does not want to drive those roads. He would prefer to take a tour. He is fine with driving a less challenging course than the road to Hana. He says that does not sound like a vacation to him.

I understand. The driver is not going to see as much while driving. Plus, the curves are challenging. However, we are planning to make frequent stops and visit many sights and a beach or two. Once out of the car, the freedom of going where you want is realized.

The trade-off in my view is convenience of the bus versus the freedom and lack of crowds of the car. We pick the car.

I would rent the car, and forget Hana. My kids were so bored and there really are some scary curves.

See IAO needle, go up to Lahaina, snorkle Molakini. We rode down the Haleakala on bicycles. Go to a different beach each day.

Enjoy Hawaii, it's my favorite

Plan on renting the car and do your own thing like you planned and RSVP. RTH is awesome but will take entire day. I'd recommend you come back to Maui when you get the chance and do the RTH next time. It's really not that bad anyways. It's not like you're driving back home in the states. Very laid back and beautiful scenery. Stick with plan B.

I am trying to figure out timing for our two days in Maui during our POA cruise next May. I know we want to snorkel at Molokini with Four Winds II or Pride of Maui on day 2, then the beach. They have a 7:30 AM time to be at the dock. I was figuring it would be no problem if we already had a rental car from Day 1. However, from the reviews that I have read the Road to Hana seems to be the big draw. DH has made it clear that a rental car would NOT be an option for us for the RTH. So......here is my dilemma.......

Option 1: Tour for TRH through the ship excursion on Day 1 and rental car on Day 2 only. My concern is the time it would take to get a rental and then get over to the snorkel dock. Getting our crew moving in time in the early AM is a concern if it means we have to spend a lot of extra time getting the rental car....and how early does the car rental open?

Option 2: Rent a car for the whole time. Day 1 take a self-guided tour to the western parts of the island, including the Tropical Plantation and Ioa State Park, then possibly ocean center and time in Lahaina. Day 2 use our rental to go on the Molokini snorkel as planned.

You are all the best...I know you will help me out.:D

Thank you everyone! I am inclined to stick with Plan B. I would love to see the scenery on TRH, but I know the entire trip will be filled with beautiful scenery. I also just found out I have a cousin in Maui who will not be working on Sunday, so we may be able to visit him. He may have some ideas for us, too.:)

Maui Ocean Center is another great place to visit on Maui, especailly with kids.

Check out Roberts Tours...http://www.gorabbitgo.com for the same tours that NCL offers for half the price NCL offers. (in all the ports)

We actually did a tour for the RTH and the tour driver dropped us off at the Thrifty Car Rental at the end of the tour. This way we had the car as soon as we walked off the ship on Day 2. Either way you are going to pay one full day rental. Worked well for us. We loved the RTH tour!!! Whatever you do, I am sure you will have a great time. For us, we pretty much knew we would not get back to Hawaii, so the RTH was a MUST DO for us. Scenery is our priority on any vacation. I wouldn't choose things to do based on what people on this forum say is a "must." One person's "must do" is another's boring day. So, read about the choices, but pick the ones that you really seem drawn to. Otherwise you may be disappointed.

• 2 months later...

I am still working out our Maui plans. Since we have a while to go I may change them a few times, but I want to get a basic outline done early. I seem to have been appointed "trip planner" for our group (6 adults ages 48 - 81, all in good physical shape with just a few limitations) and I have discovered that presenting a list of options is not working. I need to tell everyone what we will be doing and then invite them to join us - if they want to do something different they are on their own, LOL! Since we have people in AZ and FL and there will be a "get together" on Thanksgiving I need to get this done before then.

So......Day 1 - after reading all the wonderful reviews & advice I think we are going to rent a car and go to the Iao Valley where we will do some mild trails. Looking for good photo ops here (I am a photo hobbyist and my major souvenir is a wonderful photo book I have made of each cruise). My cousin is a horticulturist and I KNOW she would love a stop at the Maui Tropical Plantation if it would be worth it. I have read such mixed reviews that I am very confused. I understand they are undergoing a major renovation and that is why the grounds are currently torn up and the gift shop is lacking. However, I am wondering if by mid-May things will be better? Does anyone have any 'inside' knowledge about this?

Moving on - we will then go to Lahaina where we will shop, possibly explore the walking tour there &/or spend some nice beach time. I don't want to have so many things planned that there is no room for flexibility, but that town sounds as if it would be just what I like (historical areas, good photo ops & local craftsman shops). We have another cousin who lives and works in Maui so we would like to meet up with him and his wife for dinner somewhere. I will ask them to suggest a place.

Day 2 - Molokini snorkeling. We just have to decide between Pride of Maui, 4 Winds and Pacific Whale Foundation. They honestly all look similar to me, but I would appreciate any input. After snorkeling a stop at the Ocean Center may be in order before returning the rental and heading back to the ship.

Does all of this look doable to those of you who have "been there, done it?"

I am still working out our Maui plans. Since we have a while to go I may change them a few times, but I want to get a basic outline done early. I seem to have been appointed "trip planner" for our group (6 adults ages 48 - 81, all in good physical shape with just a few limitations) and I have discovered that presenting a list of options is not working. I need to tell everyone what we will be doing and then invite them to join us - if they want to do something different they are on their own, LOL! Since we have people in AZ and FL and there will be a "get together" on Thanksgiving I need to get this done before then.

So......Day 1 - after reading all the wonderful reviews & advice I think we are going to rent a car and go to the Iao Valley where we will do some mild trails. Looking for good photo ops here (I am a photo hobbyist and my major souvenir is a wonderful photo book I have made of each cruise). My cousin is a horticulturist and I KNOW she would love a stop at the Maui Tropical Plantation if it would be worth it. I have read such mixed reviews that I am very confused. I understand they are undergoing a major renovation and that is why the grounds are currently torn up and the gift shop is lacking. However, I am wondering if by mid-May things will be better? Does anyone have any 'inside' knowledge about this?

Moving on - we will then go to Lahaina where we will shop, possibly explore the walking tour there &/or spend some nice beach time. I don't want to have so many things planned that there is no room for flexibility, but that town sounds as if it would be just what I like (historical areas, good photo ops & local craftsman shops). We have another cousin who lives and works in Maui so we would like to meet up with him and his wife for dinner somewhere. I will ask them to suggest a place.

Day 2 - Molokini snorkeling. We just have to decide between Pride of Maui, 4 Winds and Pacific Whale Foundation. They honestly all look similar to me, but I would appreciate any input. After snorkeling a stop at the Ocean Center may be in order before returning the rental and heading back to the ship.

Does all of this look doable to those of you who have "been there, done it?"

Sunny - After having driven (well DH drove) the RTH last week, I can say that I wish I had followed your plan for day 1. We enjoyed RTH, but it was a LONG day, and we all wish we had planned for more time in Lahaina.

As for Molokini - We were very happy with our boat - Kai Kanani. They don't check in until 8:30am and sail at 9am and are the closest boat to Molokini. They land the boat right on the sand, so they don't need a dock. We left the ship at 7:30 and were at their location about 8:10. Once we boarded and left, we were at Molokini in about 15 minutes. Their food was really good too. They also have naturalists on board who will point out things in the water and answer any questions. And before you get to Molokini they give a brief lesson to newbies about how to put on and best use the equipment. There was a woman next to me that was really nervous, but felt so much better after the demonstration...she was snorkeling all over the place when she got in the water.

Sunny - After having driven (well DH drove) the RTH last week, I can say that I wish I had followed your plan for day 1. We enjoyed RTH, but it was a LONG day, and we all wish we had planned for more time in Lahaina.

As for Molokini - We were very happy with our boat - Kai Kanani. They don't check in until 8:30am and sail at 9am and are the closest boat to Molokini. They land the boat right on the sand, so they don't need a dock. We left the ship at 7:30 and were at their location about 8:10. Once we boarded and left, we were at Molokini in about 15 minutes. Their food was really good too. They also have naturalists on board who will point out things in the water and answer any questions. And before you get to Molokini they give a brief lesson to newbies about how to put on and best use the equipment. There was a woman next to me that was really nervous, but felt so much better after the demonstration...she was snorkeling all over the place when she got in the water.

I think Day 1 will work well. When I presented RTH to my DH, DB & Mom they all nixed it - so I think Iao Valley and time in Lahaina will be a nice day.

As far as your boat is concerned - it sounds nice but I need a dock - and easy access stairs to get back into the boat. No room for negotiation there. There are probably still talking about me in Cabo when they had to land me like a Marlin with a rope under my armpits to get me back onto a sailboat.:o: I won't even begin to talk about my experience with a sailboat in St Thomas!:eek: No Zodiacs, either......a nice big catamaran is my best bet. I love to snorkel and swim very well, but combining my bad knees (can't push up) with weak arms (can't pull up) with a few too many shipboard buffets:o and I have become very picky about snorkel boats. I can get into the water just fine. Getting out is an issue........:rolleyes: Thank you for the recommendation, though.

kwbound - I just looked at your boat online and I should have done that before I replied. It looks like the access isn't bad at all! When you said it pulled up on the sand I assumed you were talking about a zodiac - and those are not an option for me! Does it have sturdy stairs or a snorkel ladder that extends down into the water far enough to be able to stand before pulling up? That is my main concern. Thanks!:)

kwbound - I just looked at your boat online and I should have done that before I replied. It looks like the access isn't bad at all! When you said it pulled up on the sand I assumed you were talking about a zodiac - and those are not an option for me! Does it have sturdy stairs or a snorkel ladder that extends down into the water far enough to be able to stand before pulling up? That is my main concern. Thanks!:)

I would call them stairs. Getting off people have the option of going Geronimo style through a gate on the side, or walking down the stairs, setting on one of the bottom stairs to put on your fins and easing into the water, which is the option I took. DH went Geronimo. I consider myself a "fluffy" girl and I didn't have any trouble getting on or off the boat in the water or on the beach. I'm pretty sure I have some pics of the stairs. I'll post when I get to my review.

Archived