P&s + h2o=????????

Sailgal05

Here's some interesting news from canonrumors.com about the D10:

"D10 Replacement & More"

New Waterproof Soon

A sign a new waterproof camera is on its way is Canon Canada seems to be replaceing broken D10′s with whole new cameras, instead of fixing them.

I’ve seen this once before with a midlevel PowerShot, and sure enough it was replaced shortly after.

There are lots of factors that probably go into these decisions, but cost of warehousing them is definitely a factor. A discontinued PowerShot is a hard sell for retailers outside of the G series.

Theres also perception issues and high administrative costs to just pricedrop a camera to get rid of them."

I am curious what may happen. Like I said earlier, I can wait awhile and see what may/or may not come out.

Well that doesn't give us much to go on. I was hoping for a picture of the replacement camera hehe :D

After doing all this research, DW asked about my findings, and after showing him all your wonderful pictures, land and underwater, he was very impressed with the D10. My only concern was the lack of zoom, of which he said since it has a 12 mp, you can do all that on the computer. DUH me!! (I should have thought of that).

We're still gonna try to see one in a store, but probably will order it from Amazon-great price and someone to deal with if there's a problem.

I've had great success with underwater housings sold by the manufacturers of P&S cameras and designed for a specific model - such as the Canon case for a Canon camera. If price is a major obstacle look through eBay for a good buy on a case, some for recently discontinued cameras can be found new as low as $50 if you watch for a month or two, then buy the matching camera used.

I don't have any experience with the newer waterproof cameras that do not need a case. I've seen some great snorkeling pictures from them on this forum. Personally, I remain a little skeptical based on user reviews posted on Amazon and other sites. While it appears that most users have no issues I see enough leakage problems that I'll stick to the marine case solution. I do dive down 15 to 20 feet frequently while snorkeling and this puts a lot more pressure and demands on waterproof seals than swimming on the surface or in a pool. I on't want to be one of the 5% or so that post reviews with leakage problems.

Lsimon-

I appreciate your comments. Believe me, I went back and forth with camera & housing case or the D10, and like water-resistant cameras. One major concern was the depth rating. I use to dive deep, but as I get, ahem, older, the depth is getting shorter. To make 33 feet, hold breath and take shots will be doubtful for this gal. I think the 10-15 foot range will be for most of my photo taking.

Thanks!

Archived