Insurance questions for first timer cruiser

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I will fire away anyway. Please kindly point me to the "right" forum if I can get more feedback some where else. Well, I have done a little bit of research at insuremytrip.com and found a ton of info. First of all, I probably should only look at policies for "package", right? I have estimated my total cost to be around $4000 per person, which include a 10-night cruise on HAL, RT airfares to departing port, 3-night pre-cruise hotel stay, as well as some shore excursions. My questions mainly focus on what would be the minimum coverage for each category for me to be safely protected in the unfortunate event that something bad happens (I am crossing my fingers). How much coverage should I need for the followings:

Trip cancellation?

Trip interruption?

Travel baggage?

Travel baggage delay?

Travel delay?

Accidental death?

Medical (we are both relatively young and healthy, but don't want the liability should something happens!)?

Dental?

Emergency medical evacuation?

I will likely not need rental car and/or flight insurance as they are usually provided free of charge by my credit card company. Anything else I should know before I purchase? I have read from other posts that Access America, CSA Travel, Travel Guard, Travel Insured, and Travelex are some very reputable and reliable companies, any comments? Thanks a bunch in advance!

LAX

Hi, first , BUY insurance, Be safe. A lot of people do not buy insurance. But I have seen too many unfortunate things happen on trips and know that you need insurance to protect your self and your investment.(a friend of ours had to pay $20,000 dollars to be flown by medivac jet from LA to Boston, can you just imagine how much it would be from somewhere in Mexico or Costa Rica, YIKES) We usually use Travel guard they have always been helpful. We luckly have never had to file a claim as yet. They have a special Cruise package now , but I usually get Protect and Assist , that policy does what I need it to do. Be sure to buy your insurance with in the preexiting conditions time period ,which is usually with in 14 days of your initial deposite on your cruise , then with travel guard you can call and add additional amounts insurance for your flite , hotel , etc. as you purchase it, then they just charge you for what ever the difference is from your original purchase. They frame it in a age grouping prices, so it depends on you and your traveling partners age , as to price. Any of the insurances you mentioned are rated as good, it is just a matter of preference. I might suggest that you call the

1-800 # for travel guard and ask questions they are usually very nice. Good Luck, have a great cruise.

Cori

I have actually looked at insuremytrip.com already, but I am just not sure what amount of coverage I should get for each category. Obviously, it's always better safe than sorry, but I don't want to overdo it and get a million dollar policy. Thanks.

LAX

You are right to question it. I would insure the trip for cancellation of the cruise only, since you state you have flight insurance. Most hotels don't charge if you cancel at least a day ahead, so I would not include that in the cost of the trip. If you have purchased a non-refundable package, you may want to include it. Most of the packaged policies have a built in medical, so there is no need to add that. You may also have some coverage already through your homeowners insurance policy or through health insurance from employment. So, it all depends on what you are comfortable spending and what you want to insure. We are comfortable with the bare bones insurance, but another person may want additional coverage. I'm just not willing to give insurance companies a whole lot of my money, I already spend enough on home and life policies.

Re-read my post and I realize it is as clear as mud. Only you can make the final decision on your insurance needs. If I were you, I would not add anything to the existing packages, pare down the cost per person by not adding the flight and hotel rooms (or maybe just add the first night). The difference can be over $100 in insurance costs this way. I'd rather spend that on a good bottle of wine onboard the ship.

I have decided to go with Travelex (after much comparing) for insurance. Now, are there any difference between purchasing the policy directly with Travelex vs. via a third party such as insuremytrip.com? I have checked quotes on both and they are identical! Any pros or cons on each one? Thanks in advance.

LAX

Are the people who have actually had to use their insurance. Hopefully, you will not be one of them. Since you are worried, how about calling Travelex directly and asking them, after all, it is their product. We have had Travelex insurance a couple of times. Our first cruise, our TA recommended them. We got lucky with our first cruise TA, he wisely advised us to purchase insurance separately.

Now, stop worrying so much about insurance, you should start on packing lists and shore excursions!

Archived