Need dress suggestions for first time cruiser, late 60's

Seraphine

Hi everyone

My parents have just decided to join us on our RCI cruise in November (12 day - Newark to Southern Caribbean)!

My mom doesn't have many formal clothes anymore, and was asking for suggestions. I'm significantly bigger than her, as well as 30 years younger, and nothing I have is suitable. She lives in a small town with only a few shops so online suggestions are welcome.

She's a size 10 petite (US size) or about a 12 UK. 5'3", small bust, great legs (wish I did!). Tends to prefer dresses that aren't sleeveless but doesn't want to look really matronly.

Where can I guide her to look? (she's not very computer savvy, hence I'm asking)

Thank you!

to our E_BAY..altho you can check ours here. Sellers are very helpful for measurements etc. A nice black or cream colured skirt/pant..will go along way for some nice tops..ie: jacket w/blouse, cami or teinset w/sparkle. A scrumptious puffy sheer blouse, white, or mixed colours to blend w/the bottom part..add a vest type over that..a lot of looks for little dough. Wrasp dress are a good multi-size item. If you have any pals in the US, have them get it shipped to them, then they can ship to you, if seller dosent "go abroad" Try Debenhams, BH etc andtheir online offerings..good luck, and happy cruzin...Stranraer was our vacation point and Kendall is my husbands, "Strickland" Castles ancestral home..we loved it!

I have no idea what online sites are available in the UK, I know we have plenty...like Nordstrom, Saks, Macys etc...

I'm the last person who will suggest Ebay, since much of it is not returnable. Unless you know your exact size in a brand, it's a crapshoot whether you will get the right fit or not.

I have no idea what online sites are available in the UK, I know we have plenty...like Nordstrom, Saks, Macys etc...

I'm the last person who will suggest Ebay, since much of it is not returnable. Unless you know your exact size in a brand, it's a crapshoot whether you will get the right fit or not.

I agree and I was also burnt by 3 unscrupulous sellers, (sounds like I am a slow learner, but actually this happened within a 3 week period) so Ebay is the last place I would recommend.

To the OP-has your mother checked websites for mother of the bride dresses? She may find one that works in that category.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified... I'm in the UK, but my mom lives in Canada :)

I'm a huge ebayer, and have been both very lucky and unlucky in buying clothes for my myself, but don't know her sizes like I know my own. I will probably buy her a few casual things here, especially as I know some of the stores she likes here (they are all having summer sales now) but formalwear is hard to buy for someone else.

I'll follow up the leads so far - thanks!

I have found that a pair of dressy slacks and a couple of sparkly tops are perfect. I'm in that same age group and size category as your Mom. I wore a sparkly top with short sleeves (purchased from Macy's) and a pair of black slacks. The pants can be paired with a totally different top for formal night number 2. I had a silver twin set that had a sequins around the neck and down the front. It wasn't made out of sweater material so it was really dressy. My Mom is older and prefers a dress. We did our shopping by doing a search of J.C. Penny's on linfe site under wedding dresses (Mother of the bride type) and found a really pretty dress with a bolero type jacket. Since she is also petite, we opted for a short dress, which ended up coming to the bottom of her knees, instead of above the knee on the picture. There are loads of on-line stores. I would never use the ones dealing with an individual on e-bay.

Hopefully, someone from Canada can help out a bit more.

My belief is that even $10-20 (plus shipping) wasted on an Ebay purchase is money you could put towards clothing that has use and doesn't end up in the charity box.

There are too many local stores, or online sites that you can make returns to and spend money more wisely.

A very nice look is a either a long black chiffon type skirt or the wider 'carwash pant' with a satin or lacey top. Since she is in a small town, you might try looking at Sears.ca . You can order from the website and have it delivered to either her address or the local pick up location. It's very easy to return to the same location if she is not happy with something.

I am in that age group and agree with the long black skirt or wide leg pants in a dressy fabric (travel knits are great if she doesn't object to feeling like she is in pajamas). Separates are easier to fit than a one-piece dress, and something long will cover her shoes if she has a problem coming up with something safe and comfortable to wear on her feet. I can't wear heels and will feel more appropriate in a long skirt with flat sandals than wearing flat sandals with a short cocktail-type dress.

If she has great legs then she should show them off. Just my opinion, because I don't have great legs.

She could wear a plain black short or long skirt and just dress it up with 2 different tops. Tops with sleeves may be easier to find then dresses, or she could look for a shawl or lightweight sweater to wear over shells. My Mom is 66, 4' 11", size 6 and never has done sleeveless.

Where in Canada is she?

Laura and Laura Petites stores are in a lot of provinces and Anna Bella in Ontario is a good store for separates, but neither has online shopping. Online I've only bought clothing from Sears in Canada and Cold Water Creek in the US (mostly casual or work clothes, but a little bit of dressier items). The fall Sears catalogues are already out if she can get her hands on one.

Archived