Antarctica Dec 2010- PAII or LeBoreal or Fram or other?

skjtrav

I should add that the Fram looked like a nice option too, and was less expensive than the PAII or LeBoreal. However, it seemed that we would get more landing time and better lectures on the other options.

We may actually go another time on one of the smaller true expedition ships such as Polar Star for even more serious exploration of the Ross Sea or other areas (on a private trip to photograph grizzly bears in the wild, we used as our base for day hikes a converted crab ship where I slept in tiny former crew berth and my daughter slept in what used to be the crab hold!), but the added luxury will certainly make this holiday trip more special. And the savings will allow for either another luxury or expedition trip. Thanks again to all.

Beth, we first had a Silver Suite, which looks fabulous but was very $$. At the time we were holding it, it was the last cabin on the ship, though a couple more Silver's have opened up since. At the last minute, the travel agent found a Vista Suite on deck 4 that, combined with her discounts, saved us well over $20K! We were worried about the Vista Suite being too small for the 3 of us, but when I saw that you were taking a cabin the same size that helped us decide that it must be manageable. I hope their sofa bed is comfortable for this long of a cruise.

Welcome, I look foward to meeting you and your family (I have to learn those board games). I read from many others that we will not be in the cabin for long periods. That is assuming we have a smooth sailing through the Drake and no sea sickness :)

Beth, I look forward to meeting you too.

I think my daughter is looking forward to the sea days to just relax and play board games (though I imagine the cruise line will offer activities all day). Every holiday we try to set aside time to play and always end up so busy. Apples to Apples is easy and fun for a group; it will take you about 5 minutes to learn it. Quelf is easy but can get a little crazier due to its nature; people not playing it would think those that are are absolutely insane.

I did 17 days with PAII. Please see my review. It was fantastic. South Georgia is a must see place.

Should I go again I would choose a longer trip such as provided by Lindblad with 25 days, I guess.

Archived