Looking for smaller, privately owned Jeep Tour Operator for Denali

lmrubin

Looking for smaller, privately owned Jeep Tour Operator for Denali -- we are doing all of our cruise excursions with this type of operator. Any suggestions for a Jeep Tour in Denali? We will be on a Celebrity CruiseTour, and have two optional trip mornings -- 8/25 in Denali, 8/26 in Talkeetna.

I read that the road that the jeep tours ride on is animal'd out -- too many hunters, etc. so, what would be a better way to see the park?

Access to Denali National Park is licensed out to approved concessionaires by the national park service. Jeep tours do not have this access.

The best way for an independent traveler to go into the park is through the park shuttle system. You can get more information at http://www.nps.gov/dena There are also organized concessionaire tours but these are primarily take by folks on a land/cruise tour.

The jeep/4 wheeler tours, I have heard the best about were out of the Cantwell and south area of Denali STATE park, of which on a cruisetour, you have no option for.

What about the Stampede Trail tour??

But you need to just contact the available vendors yourself and find out what is available for you. http://denalichamber.com/plugins/yellowpages/yellowpages.php

I read on tripadvisor that Stampede Trail doesn't have much in the way of fauna. So, is a cruisetour park tour the best way to visit the park, or the shuttle?

I read on tripadvisor that Stampede Trail doesn't have much in the way of fauna. So, is a cruisetour park tour the best way to visit the park, or the shuttle?

You are looking for wildlife?? Well you should already be on some kind of Denali tour with your cruisetour aren't you?? For general, the shuttle is superior for getting farther into Denali- Farther equals more wildlife viewing opportunities- simple as that. IF you want it "easier" then the TWT does have a zoom camera with viewing from a tv. (not my preference for seeing wildlife) but many people greatly enjoy the feature.

NONE of the jeep tours are going to be real successful for wildlife. IS that your priority?

Thanks! Definitely wildlife, viewing Mt McKinley, interesting photo ops. We are doing the Celebrity cruisetour, which has an afternoon Wilderness Tour. So, I guess we'll take it easy in the morning and anticipate the cruisetour tour.

What about Talkeetna? What is there to do there? Is a 4.5 hour nature hike worthwhile? The reviews of the Talkeetna boat tours indicate a ho-hum trip if no animal sightings. How is just walking the town?

For our cruise, I planned whale watching with Alaska Galore out of Juneau, Musher's camp from Skagway, TECKK Outfitters in Icy Strait, and Ketchikan Taxi cab Tours.

Hah! We are a little wary of the small planes in Alaska (actually, my husband is wary of them in the US, too -- way too many accidents). So, we have avoided these types of trips. Any thoughts about this?

Only you can decide about flightseeing, BUT if you want to see McKinley, there is likely your ONLY way to do so. I've flown over 100 times in Alaska, I'm still here. :) No guarantees in life. Hiking is excellent all over Alaska, if of interest, do consider it.

You don't have a "clear" idea of your "town" reference. Talkeetna, is a small area, can walk the main area in 5 minutes. :) There is an interesting museum, and a Park Service exhibit on the McKinley climbing. Great food at the Latitude and Talkeetna Roadhouse.

ok, so which Talkeetna flight operator is recommended?

You need to determine WHAT flightseeing route you are interested in?? Using any coupons? Three operators I have used are K2, Talkeetna Aero and Talkeetna Air Taxi.

Archived