Parents Who Leave Their Young Children In Jacuzzies

Starrgazer50

I agree that the hot tubs should be for adults or at least enforce the adult only ones. In the three cruises I've taken, I've never once seen a staff member ask a child to leave an adult only hot tub or pool. However, earlier this summer on the Dawn I witnessed a staff member ask adults to vacate the hot tub in the kids pool area since it is for the kids. As one lady so eloquently responded, "I'll gladly leave this hot tub as soon as you remove all of the children in the adult hot tub at the other end of the ship." At the time there were 3 adults in the hot tub while their children were all in the kids pools. I never saw a kid who wanted in the hot tub but couldn't get in because there were too many adults. This had to be one of the most ridiculous requests from a staff member I've ever seen. By the way, no one moved....

I really wish there were more options for the rest of us, without risking repercussions, to be able to take matters into our own hands. Not only for the safety of the children, but also for the comfort of the adults in the hot tub in regards to unruly children. Heck, i wish there were options to deal with unruly *adults* too lol.

Yes, it looks like there are more "jerks" on cruises these days. Too bad, it also seems they have a proclivity for procreation.

Wow..... you guys must have been on cruises with the worlds worst parents.

I've only been on two cruises - but I've only seen one situation where the kid was splashing in the jacuzzi and the parent didn't do anything about it when they should have. They got out after a few minutes and it was over with.

I just got off a cruise ship and the kids were for the most part very well behaved and if any of them managed to get into the hot tubs it would have been a miracle since you couldn't get near the hot tub or pool area with all the adults hogging the chairs and sitting nearly at the pool so you could not possible watch your children if you did manage to get them into the pool or hot tub. The parents at the kids pool with little ones seemed very attentive for the most part.

I just got off a cruise ship and the kids were for the most part very well behaved and if any of them managed to get into the hot tubs it would have been a miracle since you couldn't get near the hot tub or pool area with all the adults hogging the chairs and sitting nearly at the pool so you could not possible watch your children if you did manage to get them into the pool or hot tub. The parents at the kids pool with little ones seemed very attentive for the most part.

I'm glad you had a good batch of kids and parents on your cruise:)

I hope I get a good batch too in January. It's hit or miss sometimes I guess.

Unfortunatley, the chair hogs are always around. :(

I don't hesitate to correct other people's children if they are bothering me and the parent's are not around. I am an educator so I guess I am used to it. I always do it in a nice way, of course. I might say something like, "Sweetheart, all of the splashing in the hot tub is getting me hair wet. Please don't do it anymore," with a smile.

Thank you, as I do the same. And not just in ships, but in the mall, grocery store, and in just about ANY situation where adults 'abandon' their kids to their own supervision. Sometimes I forget to say 'please' as kids don't always respond to a 'nice' adult. I just tell them to stop it.

I'm glad you had a good batch of kids and parents on your cruise:)

I hope I get a good batch too in January. It's hit or miss sometimes I guess.

Unfortunatley, the chair hogs are always around. :(

You know this was my first cruise and I had read about 'chair hogs' and thought it can't be as bad as these cc people claim...... OMG I never once used the pool on the cruise since I was unable to even get near it with the chair hogs UGH! Some people actually had table set ups ( fork knife napkin) on chairs for hours to save them. I am hoping when I go on the Jewel in January that it won't be as bad since there will be less parents with small kids although it was a mixture of older people and parents saving the chairs I think. I am taking my kids and would like to sit at the pool and enjoy my time with them.

Hey maybe that is part of the problem with these kids, maybe the parents can't get close enough to watch them due to all the chair hogs and have made the decision to just let them go LOL.

I just went to the kids pool and stood at the side. I got great pictures that way :)

You can post here all you want but the parents that do not supervise their children will never get it.

As for the "family vacation" aspect, my children enjoy the kids clubs and the activities with the other children. Though we try to spend as much time together as a family and definitely take them on all the port excursions how fair is it to tell them they cannot utilize the kids clubs because we are spending time together. It is their vacation as well and they should be able to take part in the events (I am talking kids club events not running around unsupervised) that they want to as well.

Who is saying that your kids can't go to the kids club? No one on this thread! They are just saying don't let the young kids go in the hot tub, especially unattended by their parents, or older kids roaming around on their own being rude. Older kids can be on their own if they are polite and respectful.

Seriously you had to have found the worse kids on the cruise and just hung around them. I spent a week on the Dawn with like 850+ kids and teens and they were all pleasant and well mannered. Yes the teens were roaming around but if they were blocking the hallway or stairs and I said excuse me they all moved. I did see some kids in the adults only hot tub but they were mainly with their parents so the parents should have disciplined their children if they felt they should go against the rules and have them in there in the first place.

I did see many many rude obnoxious adults both in and out of the pool, hot tub, elevators etc.

One lady kept pushing the elevator button when the one going up was full and so the door wouldn't close. My 9 and 7 year olds would never do that. I did not see any kids pushing elevator buttons or running on the stairs.

I did see many adults hogging chairs and I did once have to tell a few of the bigger kids in the kids pool to be a little more gentle with the little ones since they were being a tad bit rough in the water. They were very polite and immediatly stopped jumping in the kids section.

I sometimes think the way an adult aproaches a child/teen makes the difference in how they behave toward the adult.

Unsupervised children happen everywhere.:(

We were at the beach with 2 GD's where there were wooden boats, planes, trucks for the kids to play in that were about 100 yds. from the people sitting on the beach. Some little demon bit one of the girls so I went after him having to chase him down in this child-sized ship hitting my head, tripping and stumbling while he tried to get away....he KNEW he had done wrong. Find out his parents were nowhere in sight.

Told him to take me to his parents but he was very cagey saying he couldn't find them when we got near the people. I stepped back and watched while he went right to his parents. I then walked up and said your UNSUPERVISED child just bit my granddaughter and she has a full set of bite marks on her arm.

Father says, he's just a little boy (I'd say about 8) and he wouldn't do that THEN tries to turn it on my granddaughter by saying, what did she do to make him do it?

They're just lucky the beast didn't break the skin. But the scariest part of the whole story is, the kid went with me, I could have taken him somewhere and the parents wouldn't have known what happened to him.

I don't hesitate to correct other people's children if they are bothering me and the parent's are not around. I am an educator so I guess I am used to it. I always do it in a nice way, of course. I might say something like, "Sweetheart, all of the splashing in the hot tub is getting me hair wet. Please don't do it anymore," with a smile.

I'm with you on that one - If the parents aren't around, I feel it's up to someone to 'parent' them. Even if the parents are within ear shot, it never hurts to let them know that what their kids are doing is not acceptable and to please stop.

a sign stating certain hot tubs are adults only

Apparently there is .. but I for one did not see it! I think they need to make it larger and ENFORCE IT! We did allow our children to go in (they were maybe 14 and 12 at the time... I dont remember letting the younger two in...)... My husband was with them at all times but if we had seen a sign they would not have gone in at all!

I dont have a problem with hot tubs... my children, by the grace of God are REALLY healthy and seem to handle them really well. But I agree that if something is designated as adult that it should be just that ADULT. I have already had this fight on another thread.... just wish the signs were more obvious.

I've never cruised with NCl so not sure if shipboard staff or security is more lacking, however, on other cruise lines, I have in the past notified security who will advise those parents lacking in judgement to remove their kids from jacuzzis or keep a closer watch on them....I so far have never had any real terrible experiences. I just love that many of the ships now do have adult only areas where you can relax by pools without kids splashing or making noise etc.

Archived