Tell me about Panama weather

ksc1984

I'm conflicted on when to do the 10 day HAL Sunfarer cruise with the partial Panama Canal crossing and a stop in Costa Rico. I might like to celebrate my birthday on board with the cruise starting Nov.23rd (Thanksgiving) through Dec3. OR I might would rather wait until the first trip out in February to have dryer weather. Would you expect the weather to be significantly better in February? I'm planning excursions in both countries and less rain would make me happy! Could 5 weeks make a big difference in the rainy/dry seasons?

From World Atlas

The dependable rainy season occurs (April - December), with the highest precipitation amounts falling along the Caribbean Sea; Colon receives over 120 inches in annual rainfall, while Panama City is near 60% of that number,

• 2 weeks later...

In both countries you are in the RAIN forest, so it will rain, sometime, regardless. You might have a slight advantage, underline slight, in February, but just go expecting some rain. It's warm rain and frankly, totally unpredictable. I always tell folks it will rain sometime when we are in the Canal and I haven't been wrong yet, even if it's just a few drops. Get a cheap plastic poncho (for whatever reason lots of ships don't sell them). The winds will be stronger in February. It will be hot and humid whenever. Have fun regardless . . . great way to celebrate BTW.

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...
In both countries you are in the RAIN forest, so it will rain, sometime, regardless. You might have a slight advantage, underline slight, in February, but just go expecting some rain. It's warm rain and frankly, totally unpredictable. I always tell folks it will rain sometime when we are in the Canal and I haven't been wrong yet, even if it's just a few drops. Get a cheap plastic poncho (for whatever reason lots of ships don't sell them). The winds will be stronger in February. It will be hot and humid whenever. Have fun regardless . . . great way to celebrate BTW.

Regards, Richard

Richard, we will be in Panama next week. We have been going back and forth between our thin ponchos or our unlinned rain jackets. We realize that it will be hot...so thought the ponchos would be cooler...but then the jackets micht be more comfortable...hate the way ponchos react if its windy. What do you use? or suggest?

Archived