Currrency Question

Shelley G

We will be on the Avalon Tapestry from Prague to Budapest in October. I know we will need Czech and Hungarian currency as well as Euros. But my question is how much? We are in Prague for 3 days pre-cruise and Budapest 3 days post cruise.We will use credit cards for major purchases, but how much cash will we need for taxis, public transportation, tips etc. You know, the small stuff. I want to get this money before we leave rather than use ATMs.Please advise. This is our first river cruise.

Thanks,

Shelley

We are on the AMA cruise tour in Oct. I have checked and Euros are widely accept in both cities, as well as Visa and Master Card. We will be bring 225 Euros with us and will probably get another 200 Euro from an ATM, using our bank debit card, when we change planes in Germany.

Bank Debit cards are the cheapest way to purchase Euros. I suggest that you apply for and use a free Capital One credit card. Capital One is the only credit card which does not charge a transaction fee. Other credit and debit cards charge a fee of 3 to 5%. We will use our Capital One card first. You still get the 1% bonus on your Capital One charges. I have been informed that AMA will accept our Master Card for payment of tips and other shipboard charges. So relatively little cash is need for this trip!!:o

We will be on AMA Budapest to Prague in late Nov. and I was pleased to see your post. I also have a Capital One card for using outside the USA. Be sure to call them before you leave and let them know where you will be traveling to.

I tried to pay for this cruise on the Cap One MC and it was denied. About 2 hours after I booked using a different CC, someone called me from Cap One to investigate fradulant use of my card. I assured them it was me trying to pay for a cruise reservation. I'd rather they deny me than accept fraud but I don't want to be denied while we are in Europe.

Glad to hear that Euros are accepted. I hate this juggling of different currency. When is all of Europe going to use the Euro?

4evrwild ;)

Not sure why you don't want to use ATMs - they are plentiful and easy to use... We preferred to use Koruna (Prague) and Forints (Budapest) as we discovered that you didn't always get the best conversion rate when paying in Euros... Also, there are some shops that do *not* accept credit cards --> usually there is a sign posted in the front window. We ran into that in Nuremburg and Prague, so had to make a quick stop the ATM after. Both stores had items that I couldn't get elsewhere - so it was cash, or walk away.

In relation to the advice re: Capital One - there *is* a currency exchange fee on Capital One cards in Canada. I actually contacted Capital One to ask this question (I was quite excited at the possibility of bypassing the 2.5% surcharge...) - but it is charged because all charges go to the US and they charge the 2.5% to convert from US to CAD $$.

I have been looking for a card that doesn't charge the conversion fee, but haven't found one yet. (Will continue to look....)

for taxis - if to/from the airport you may be able to book through the hotel and have it charged to your hotel room (we did this in Budapest last September)

for public transportation - I think it was about 8euros for the trolley in Budapest but I'm not sure; perhaps Google it and you'll find the answer?

for tips, figure tips to the driver to bring you to the hotel, the doorman/bell hop, concierge if they give special service, room service - the usual. I guess the answer is "it depends" on how you use it. You can probably google this info too if you don't have a tour book on HUF and CZK.

I don't know how my experience will help you but, here goes...

tip private driver from BUD airport to BUD Hilton Hotel $10.00 (you may want to consider how much you will tip and by what method; we put tip on credit card along with main charge)

We couldn't get our ATM card to work at Hilton hotel so we asked concierge for restaurant to eat dinner that would definitely accept a Visa card. Then walked 2 blocks to bank the next business day and withdrew money with no problem.

Budapest:

lunch for 2 in BUD $35-40 USD pd in HUF (how much will you eat vs us?)

Trolley for 2 ~$12 USD pd in HUF

Internet ~$8 USD pd in HUF (20 minutes I think)

Prague:

lunch for 2 ~$40 USD pd in CZK (this was a big meal; the next day we just grabbed a sandwich within walking distance to the hotel which was much more reasonable)

beverages ~$10 USD pd in CZk (1 soda & 1 wine downtown)

dinner for 2 ~$65 USD pd in CZK (other night used credit card)

coffee & cake one afternoon $12.00 USD pd in CZK (downtown)

tip driver PRG apt ~$10 gave him all our leftover CZK

I'm with franski about getting $$ out in advance; it'll cost you more and it's easy enough to get from the airport ATMs. Even if the worst case scenario happens like your ATM card won't work in one machine, you can always go to a bank (as long as it's a weekday and not a holiday) and they'll make the cash withdrawal for you).

anyway, hope it helps!!

BTW, for future trips, I like to have enough money to pay the driver so I try to get extra Euros before I return from a trip overseas OR I ask my coworkers if anyone has any extra euros to sell. (Forget that idea for CZKs or HUFs as it's very unlikely you'll get any interest.)

Shelley - the biggest thing with ATMs is to make sure that you have a 4-digit PIN --> 5-digit PINs apparently don't work. And, take a minute to call your bank before you go to ensure that they know that you will be travelling in Europe (so they don't stop you using your card)... We have a currency exchange in our local mall, so bought a bit of all currencies there (Euro, HUF & CZK) before we left.

Not sure if you are doing the pre/post stays on your own, or if you did your air on your own - but is there anyway you can work something out with Avalon?? That might help with transport plans. In Budapest - if you are doing the post-stay in the Avalon hotel - they often use the Intercontinental - and it is *very* central to many attractions. We walked everywhere - but not sure how much walking you are comfortable doing.

I am sure you will enjoy the trip... River cruising is addictive!!!

Fran

We will be gone over 3 weeks on our upcoming Danube cruise. I ordered $500. in Euros a while back because the exchange rate seemed very good. I also use my credit card for ATMs and informed the company of each country I will be visiting and potentially using the card.

To Shelley, Sands28 and Willsot,

We recently returned from our river cruise with a pre cruise visit to Prague. Our TA told us that the currency used is the Euro. Wrong. Everything is priced in CZK (Kroner). They ask for kroner but if you pay in euros they will convert the price for you and the change will be given back in kroner. Be wary of this kind of transaction.

I went shopping in the Marks and Spencers store in the new big plaza in Prague and asked could I pay in Euros and the shop assistant screamed at me "No, no, no - kroner, kroner, kroner. I did the old 'look around, is she talking to me trick'. Very embarrassing.

My advice is to use the ATM's, and your credit card for big items and expenses. Depending on your bank's charges it really isn't that expensive to use them. We stayed 5 days and only used the ATM three times. Total cost of about $14 AU. Under no circumstances use those money exchange booths. Big rip off.

Willsot - are you really using a credit card in ATMs or are you using a bank debit card? I'm pretty sure that if you use a credit card for any cash advances you pay interest from the day you take the advance. It can be quite expensive with some cc interest rates at 20% and higher.

Also you need a 4 digit pin number to access most ATMs. I've never used a cc to get cash from an ATM so I don't even know if I have a pin for my cc.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise. I hope the weather gods are good to you.

To Shelley, Sands28 and Willsot,

We recently returned from our river cruise with a pre cruise visit to Prague. Our TA told us that the currency used is the Euro. Wrong. Everything is priced in CZK (Kroner). They ask for kroner but if you pay in euros they will convert the price for you and the change will be given back in kroner. Be wary of this kind of transaction.

I went shopping in the Marks and Spencers store in the new big plaza in Prague and asked could I pay in Euros and the shop assistant screamed at me "No, no, no - kroner, kroner, kroner. I did the old 'look around, is she talking to me trick'. Very embarrassing.

My advice is to use the ATM's, and your credit card for big items and expenses. Depending on your bank's charges it really isn't that expensive to use them. We stayed 5 days and only used the ATM three times. Total cost of about $14 AU. Under no circumstances use those money exchange booths. Big rip off.

I concur; that was our experience in both Budapest and Prague.

Archived