Money in port question - AGAIN

sharri34

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times, so thanks for your patience again:). My bf has just asked how much Cash we should take for the islands, we are stopping at Noumea, Lifou, Isle of Pines & Poum (I actually remembered Poum for once:eek:), While at Noumea, we'll be at the Amedee Island tour all day, so I don't think we'd have much a chance to spend any money. Is there much shopping to do at Lifou, Isle of Pines & Poum? Are there little markets to buy some useless trinkets from? I plan on taking about $200 cash per person in small denominations (Something I learnt from this board, as the islands won't have change for larger notes), my cruise account is going straight on the Credit Card, so no worries there :D

Thanks again :)

Sam

I have always had Pacific francs for Noumea but if all you intend to do is the tour then you won't need them.

On Isle of Pines and Lifou I have always seen $AUD quoted alongside PFX but I have always had PFX so have used them.

I don't know about Poum

There is almost nothing to spend any money on at Lifou and Isle of Pines. The only things that I am aware of there is that the locals sell some short inexpensive tours there. We didn't spend a penny at either places -- except for a $10 tour at the Isle of Pines.

Barry

There is almost nothing to spend any money on at Lifou and Isle of Pines. The only things that I am aware of there is that the locals sell some short inexpensive tours there. We didn't spend a penny at either places -- except for a $10 tour at the Isle of Pines.

Barry

hi Barry, some one else mentioned elsewhere that the tour at Isle of Pines was $25 on the mini bus and at Lifou you can get a private tour on the island for $15 and they have the markets there too

rkmw

Barry

and the $10 lobsters freashly cocked right in front you at Isle of Pines

Lifou had the little market with souvenirs to buy. Prices ranged...but not too expensive.

There were also people selling coke and beer down at Jinek bay. I am fairly certain that it was cheaper to pay with pacific francs. We did the conversion and there was quite a difference in price depending on which currency you used. There was also someone near the markets that sold Heaven ice creams. The boys I was with said the beer wasn't too bad.

Not much else really that you can spend money on there...maybe $10 each to go down to the caves behind the cemetery if that's what you want to do.

In Noumea, we bought food at a restaurant, it cost us about $20 each and we got pizzas and plenty of beer (buy a jug!) and coke. Our boat didn't get in till 5pm and we were out of there by 9 I think, so it's a different story I'm sure if you're there for the day.

Can't help with the others! Sorry!

and the $10 lobsters freashly cocked right in front you at Isle of Pines

hi thied, we have been to IOP and we havent seen the lobsters being cooked....where abouts do they get cooked.....we have seen them at Mystery Island and Champagne Bay

hi thied, we have been to IOP and we havent seen the lobsters being cooked....where abouts do they get cooked.....we have seen them at Mystery Island and Champagne Bay
on the beach in the bay the ship anchors in, you walk past it on your way to the bay where every one goes to snorkel, (They are not all ways there mind you) We will be there (isle of pines) on the 5 oct 2010 so I will cheak if they are there and let you know.

Archived