Do I take passport with me into ports?

Bobbiebc

jBond:

Op's original question dealt with Cozumel, not Europe, and as I remember my recent geography, Cozumel is still located in the Caribbean, not in southern Europe.

Dianne, other half of 98Charlie

Maybe I am guilty of looking at the bigger picture.

On the OP's cruise I would recommend that in Cozumel they leave their passports in their cabin safe. If they want more specific recommendations for their other ports of call they should post again. Duh????

Dianne, obviously your recollection of geography is still OK, however it hasn't broadened your outlook.

Then there was the story of the woman coming back from the Bahamas and had packed her passport in her luggage....she thought the Bahamas was part of the US.

I agree about taking the original with you in a foreign country. What does it matter if there is a "huge black market" for stolen passports? That's not my problem; it's not going to do me any good locked away in the safe if I miss the ship, or have an accident, etc. The police in Cozumel don't care what my dining table assignment is. Also, as recommended earlier, take a credit card and your cruise insurance information in case you have to buy an airplane ticket or visit a hospital.

Take the ship's newsletter along, it has the information for contacting the cruise line's agent in that port.

I also scan my passport and e mail the jpeg to myself at my Yahoo e mail account. Then while I'm on the cruise I can get to a copy of it from anywhere in the world via the internet. When I get home, I delete the file.

babesee101 -- I read the post about the couple who was stranded without passports, and I think they're a couple of idiots. Who'd they blame for their troubles? The cruise line for not 1) mandating that passports be carried off the ship and 2) not pointing out that the island was in a different time zone. On our last cruise, my then 9-year old was smart enough to ask about time zones! Their real problem is that they were cutting it too close: they were allowing themselves only thirty minutes to get back to the ship. People that dumb should stick to ship excursions so they have no chance of being left behind.

Archived