Sailed the Epic...now what?!

dawnmariex

Hi all!

We just returned from our Epic adventure and my DD asked me to take her on a cruise for her 16th birthday next August. I feel like the Epic has spoiled me for other ships. Anyone have any suggestions as to which ships come close to comparing to the Epic? We love the freestyle aspect (eating when you want) so that would be a must. I loved how modern it was and how technologically advanced it was also. I know I can go to other forums, but I really want to get advice from people who have sailed the Epic and have experience with other ships. Thanks in advance!

Dawn

Simple - Book another cruise on the Epic next August.

I hope you purchased your future cruise credit....;)

Seriously why NOT do it again? I'll go out on a limb and predict that the prices in 2011 will be the same, if not less, then what they were this, the inaugural, season...

Hi all!

Anyone have any suggestions as to which ships come close to comparing to the Epic? We love the freestyle aspect (eating when you want) so that would be a must.

Could you be more specific about what "come close to comparing to the Epic?" means?

Suggestion: using marketing cliches is counterproductive.

Example: our last cruise with a different cruise line was freestyle (ate when and what we wanted)...

Hi all!

We just returned from our Epic adventure and my DD asked me to take her on a cruise for her 16th birthday next August. I feel like the Epic has spoiled me for other ships. Anyone have any suggestions as to which ships come close to comparing to the Epic? We love the freestyle aspect (eating when you want) so that would be a must. I loved how modern it was and how technologically advanced it was also. I know I can go to other forums, but I really want to get advice from people who have sailed the Epic and have experience with other ships. Thanks in advance!

Dawn

I'll state the obvious, OASIS or ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I've sailed on OASIS, and I have visited EPIC, and while both ships are impressive, EPIC doesn't hold a candle to OASIS IMO.

If you like new, large, innovative ships you might also consider the new DISNEY DREAM. It looks amazing!

There is also the new CARNIVAL MAGIC as well.

Good luck!

Ernie

Instead of focusing on an impressive ship, why not choose a fun-filled itinerary. My oldest daughter has graduated from college and moved away and I can't tell you how much I treasure the memories from all of our family cruises (27+/-, so far:D). I'd suggest a Southern Caribbean with a port every day. Really get her involved with chosing fun/interesting things she'd like to do in each port. We've done this itinerary several times, and while it is not relaxing, it will give you lots of opportunities to spend quality time with your daughter.

Thanks to all who replied. I was looking at Oasis but I was hoping to go out of NY, NJ, or Maryland. It seems I will have to fly to Miami to go on a bigger ship. Still weighing my options...I have year to prepare, so would love any other thoughts people have. I do like the idea of the southern itinerary. You've given me some food for thought. Thanks again!

dawnmariex,

Here are my world wide suggestions, let me know if anything grabs your imaginations.

1) http://www.marinabaysands.com/

World class hotel with a cruise ship on top of it.

2) Club med - Sadpiper or Ounta Cana,

3) Oasis of the Seas, the Allure....

4) Beaches Resorts for Teens. Beaches Resorts, the Caribbean-based chain of Luxury Included® family inclusive resort (Scratch DJ Academy, Club Liquid:, Xbox 360® Game Garage, Trench Town...plus so much more)

5) Dreams La Romana – All Inclusive Family Resort in Dominican Republic.

Thanks to all who replied. I was looking at Oasis but I was hoping to go out of NY, NJ, or Maryland. It seems I will have to fly to Miami to go on a bigger ship. Still weighing my options...I have year to prepare, so would love any other thoughts people have. I do like the idea of the southern itinerary. You've given me some food for thought. Thanks again!

Have you considered Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas, out of Bayonne, NJ ? She is doing 9 day sailings to Caribbean and fares aren't bad. She is almost as large as Epic, at around 138,000 tons vs Epic's 150,000 tons. She doesn't have nearly as many entertainment options, but there is still plenty to do and plenty of "wow" factor with the Royal Promenade, with shops, bars and restaurants along it. The main dining rooms have decent food, and they do offer an anytime ("my time dining") dining option. I sailed her sister ship Mariner of the Seas a couple years ago, and really enjoyed that class of ships.

Have you considered Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas, out of Bayonne, NJ ? She is doing 9 day sailings to Caribbean and fares aren't bad. She is almost as large as Epic, at around 138,000 tons vs Epic's 150,000 tons. She doesn't have nearly as many entertainment options, but there is still plenty to do and plenty of "wow" factor with the Royal Promenade, with shops, bars and restaurants along it. The main dining rooms have decent food, and they do offer an anytime ("my time dining") dining option. I sailed her sister ship Mariner of the Seas a couple years ago, and really enjoyed that class of ships.

This is exactly the ship I have been considering because of the location of the port and the itinerary. Glad to hear you liked it. I think my DD will like anything (she wasn't on the Epic with me so won't be making comparisons). Thanks so much! I will research it more.

dawnmariex,

Here are my world wide suggestions, let me know if anything grabs your imaginations.

1) http://www.marinabaysands.com/

World class hotel with a cruise ship on top of it.

2) Club med - Sadpiper or Ounta Cana,

3) Oasis of the Seas, the Allure....

4) Beaches Resorts for Teens. Beaches Resorts, the Caribbean-based chain of Luxury Included® family inclusive resort (Scratch DJ Academy, Club Liquid:, Xbox 360® Game Garage, Trench Town...plus so much more)

5) Dreams La Romana – All Inclusive Family Resort in Dominican Republic.

Number 1 is amazing! Even though it isn't feasible, I want to go on it now!

I think I am going to convince DH to take all of us on the Oasis or the Allure and I will take DD separately on another cruise. I can take 2 cruises in one summer no problem!

Archived