inexpensive cigars in Coz, KW, Ocho or GC?

CaptainDaddy

Hello fellow cigar smokers. I am going to be going to KW, Coz, GC and Ocho. The last cruise I was on was to Cuba and the Dominican. I guess you could have called it the cigar cruise. This next one that I'm going on is going to a few places I've never been. Cozumel and Key West in paticular. I know that Cayman is famous for being expensive for everything compared to some of the other islands. I'd like to pick up a couple of bundles of some inexpensive hand rolled long filler cigars. I have a company in Florida that sells them for under $20 plus shipping (a super deal). If I cant find something on my travels that will meet my needs I'll order them that way. Does anyone know of some place in any of these ports that has something that will meet my needs. I'm not looking for cheap cigars, just nice ones that don't cost an arm and a leg. I have had my share of Cubans and being Canadian can buy one anytime I want here in Canada. I've found that the Dominican, Honduran etc. variety are quite frankly just as nice and considerably cheaper. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.:cool:

Unfortunately, since this is a cruise forum, I dont think its really the best place to ask this question.

I am also an avid cigar smoker and usually buy mine from my established reliable sources and bring them with me in a travel humidor. Everywhere in the Caribbean, you will find overpriced cigars with questionable heritage. I have even begun to see conterfiet Dominican and Honduran brands. I was recently offered a "great deal" on a box of Opus X in Nassau. LOL, what a box of dogrockets. One look is all it took. Unless your really cigar smart and can spot fakes, avoid buying in the Caribbean, especially in the cruise ship ports.

Anyway, I suggest you check out http://www.cigargroup.com/news/cigars/ This is an archive of alt.smokers.cigars usenet newsgroup. If you are internet saavy and know how to access newsgroups, I highly suggest you lurk on a.s.c. for a while. Post your question there. You're sure to spark a lively thread. They are a great bunch of folks on that newsgroup and their collective cigar knowledge is staggering.

Key West does have a few reputable shops. Here is one I am familiar with:

http://www.keywestcigar.com/

Enjoy the clouds :D

Tim

Thanks for the link to the Key West location. I'm sorry if you didn't think my question was appropriate. I felt that with all of the cruisers that have been to these ports, they might be able to direct me as you have. I enjoy my cigars along with my cruise. I guess thats why I associate them together. I will check out the other link and see what they have to say. Thanks for your help.

Before you travel, go to the cigaraficiano.com website & there's a section on how to spot conterfeit Cubans.

In Cozumel, there a couple of shops right on the main road in town, just 1/2 block north of the McDonald's. They sell Cubans that I'm 95% sure are authentic, otherwise I wouldn't think the authorities will let them setup shop in such a highly visible location. Bargain them down to $10 a piece for the bigger ring guage Cohiba's.

But the best way to ensure you're getting the real thing is the duty free shops right on the pier. They're a little more expensive, & no haggling prices, but they're worth it.

good luck

Archived