Post Cruise Fort L for a day

ejohnny

Hi everyone,

We are returning back from our cruise on Sunday Morning around 7Am. We have a flight at 4:20 from Fort L to Jamaica for the second part of our vac. 2 questions if you guys dont mind.

1. What is there to do on a Sunday Morning? I am guessing we'll have about 5 or 6 hours minimum.

2. What to do with our luggage?? I have been to Fort L airport before. Do they have locker facilities?

Thanks everyone

I assume you mean Princess. You could take a cab to Las Olas Blvd for eating, shopping, etc., or ride the water taxi around. Princess has their EZ Check program where they will whisk your luggage away to the airport so you don't have to schlep it around with you. Some airlines also have a similar early baggage Check (SW has their luggage checker right outside the port). You could also consider one of the post-cruise excursions Princess offers.

In reality, I think you have about 5 hours maximum. If your flight is departing at 4:20 you'll need to be at the airport by 3:00. By the time you have breakfast, get yourself together and off the ship and then through customs it's going to be 10:00, maybe later. You can check with the airline, but 5 or 6 hours before the flight is probably too early to check your luggage. I know with Southwest it's 3 hours prior, but I have no clue with other airlines.

All that being said, there's not much you could do other than shopping or the maybe the Water Taxi, but with only 4 hours or so I'm not sure the Water Taxi would be worth the $15 per person plus cab fare to the Pier 66 or Hilton Marina stops.

If you like museums, gardens and art maybe the Bonnet House.

http://www.bonnethouse.org/home.html

A cheap rental car would solve you luggage problem and give you more mobility and range in the limited amount of time. Advantage usually has some low cost rentals and they're close to the Port Everglades but they don't have a port shuttle. Right now for Sunday, September 26 I am getting a rate of $35.86 inclusive of all taxes for a large car. A medium car is about $6 less. Without a shuttle, though, you would have to take a $12 taxi ride to their facility.

https://www.advantage.com/

Maybe someone here knows of a rental car company that has a port shuttle.

Here are another 2 options that I have personally done, and they are lots of fun.

1. Air Boat Ride in the Everglades: We went on an airboat ride that lasted about an hour through the everglades. We saw lots of crocodiles, and other animals/things that live in the swamp. I wasnt too excited about this one at first, but it turned out to be really fun. :)

2. The Flamingo Gardens: This is a botanical gardens, zoo, and citrus grove all in one. There are lots of paths to roam around, and are many different types on animals you can look at. They also have a trolley/train type thing that you can ride on that takes you all around the property to view areas that are too far to walk. They have a gift shop, and a little snack shop, which is where I had some of the best fresh squeezed orange juice of my life!! I highly reccomend this for a relaxing morning/afternoon. :)

If you're going to Jamaica, then you may not be able to use your cruise line's baggage program, as it's International.

You might want to check into a day rate at a local hotel with shuttle services from the port and airport.

You can relax in a hotel room, sit by the pool, have a meal, etc.

Another option is to take a cab to a laundromat, do your wash, have some lunch and then head out for the airport.

Here are another 2 options that I have personally done, and they are lots of fun.

1. Air Boat Ride in the Everglades: We went on an airboat ride that lasted about an hour through the everglades. We saw lots of crocodiles, and other animals/things that live in the swamp. I wasnt too excited about this one at first, but it turned out to be really fun. :)

2. The Flamingo Gardens: This is a botanical gardens, zoo, and citrus grove all in one. There are lots of paths to roam around, and are many different types on animals you can look at. They also have a trolley/train type thing that you can ride on that takes you all around the property to view areas that are too far to walk. They have a gift shop, and a little snack shop, which is where I had some of the best fresh squeezed orange juice of my life!! I highly reccomend this for a relaxing morning/afternoon. :)

Really good two ideas. I am gonna look at the Airboat ride, seems interesting. Anyone tour in particular you recommend? The falmingo Garden looks cool too. At 17 bucks admission plus 4 for the tour is not too too bad. Thanks

If you're going to Jamaica, then you may not be able to use your cruise line's baggage program, as it's International.

You might want to check into a day rate at a local hotel with shuttle services from the port and airport.

You can relax in a hotel room, sit by the pool, have a meal, etc.

Another option is to take a cab to a laundromat, do your wash, have some lunch and then head out for the airport.

I don't think we'll get a room. We havent been to Florida before - just seems like a waste. Doing a wash during that time might not be a bad idea - doesnt sound fun but you r right, we might have to. Actually thinking about it, if there is a one hour dry cleaning service around would be an EXCELLENT IDEA

I don't recommend getting off exactly at 7, after all they probably won't be ready for you anyway.

If you're departing out of FLL at 4:20, then you'll need to be at the airport at 2:20, and heading back at 2:00.

The nearest laundry is at 2200 S Federal Hwy. A better location might be 1603 E 17th St.

With only a few hours I certainly wouldn't trust a local dry cleaner. Very few have plants in their location. Besides, what formal outfit would you need in Jamaica?

Both of these excursions are offered by Princess as post-cruise excursions. You have to book them while on the cruise. They will leave a form in your cabin with the excursion options listed. Princess will load your luggage on the bus, take you to enjoy the excursions and then take you and your luggage to the airport.

Hi everyone,

We are returning back from our cruise on Sunday Morning around 7Am. We have a flight at 4:20 from Fort L to Jamaica for the second part of our vac. 2 questions if you guys dont mind.

1. What is there to do on a Sunday Morning? I am guessing we'll have about 5 or 6 hours minimum.

2. What to do with our luggage?? I have been to Fort L airport before. Do they have locker facilities?

Thanks everyone

International flight out of the US which means you need to be at the airport at the latest at 2:20. On a Sunday I'd get there by 2:00PM for an international flight.

I'd sleep late, eat a leisurely breakfast and be the last people off the ship. Hop a cab to Las Olas and sit outside (Big City Tavern my favorite, you can bring your luggage) and eat a leisurely lunch and people watch.

You really don't have as much time as you think.

I'd sleep late, eat a leisurely breakfast and be the last people off the ship. Hop a cab to Las Olas and sit outside (Big City Tavern my favorite, you can bring your luggage) and eat a leisurely lunch and people watch.

You really don't have as much time as you think.

The ship is arriving at 7AM....I thought that we'd be herded off the ship by 8AM??? Whats the latest you think we'd be able to leave the ship?

The ship is arriving at 7AM....I thought that we'd be herded off the ship by 8AM??? Whats the latest you think we'd be able to leave the ship?

The ship arrives at 7AM if everything goes according to plan. No, you are not herded off the ship at 8AM only the early departures. Because they have to get so many people off the ship, it takes a while.

I'd say the latest you can loiter would be around 10AM. Take your time eating breakfast. We certainly never rushed.

In January we had a late flight out of FLL so did the airboat and Flamingo Gardens tour with Princess. We normally do independent tours but this was the best way to do this with guaranteed arrival time at the airport and it took care of the luggage problem as it travels with you on the bus. This was a decent tour,

tonyt

Archived