Self Debark

Soonerbaby

I have seen several threads about this, but am wondering if anyone has done self debark with larger than carry on size bags. We may want to do this, because we will be driving back the same day, but we will have regular sized suitcases. I believe the FAQ says carry on size only.

On our recent cruise they kept repeating that you had to be able to safely carry off all your own luggage- they didn't specify the size of the luggage.

We did this once (on a different cruise line I think?) and we had regular size suitcases.

I have seen several threads about this, but am wondering if anyone has done self debark with larger than carry on size bags. We may want to do this, because we will be driving back the same day, but we will have regular sized suitcases. I believe the FAQ says carry on size only.

You just need to be able to carry your bags off without assistance.

no problems - you just need to be able to transport them yourself.

there are not the same restrictions as carrying ON your own luggage, where carry-ons need to fit through the cruiseline's scanners, etc. you're customs' problem when leaving...

as long as you can carry it, no worries.

We did it a couple weeks ago (on the Freedom) .. we had 4 regular suitcases and 2 duffel bags. Each of us took a suitcase and me and DH took a duffel. My daughters also had their backpacks to go with their suitcase. We got down there EARLY (6:30 or so) so we wouldn't have an issue getting an elevator and waited with several others who did the same thing! But, we had an early flight out and wanted to be one of the first off. By 7:15 we were on the bus to the airport!

We just did the self assist on Saturday- as long as you can wheel or drag ALL your stuff off without assistance from anyone outside of your party, they seem happy to let you off the ship.

I strongly suggest sturdy luggage with wheels & maybe a few bungee cords.

We had a huge 29" suiter, a medium duffle that strapped on top of that, a rolling duffle bag, two hats, a coffee mug and one purse- we made it off the ship & were loaded into our SUV by about 7:15.

Good luck!

We did the self assist on our last couple of cruises. It works great, just make sure you are able to carry all your luggage. We saw a couple that had several suitcases and bags. They were having a difficult time with all the bags. They do not have anyone available to assist you. We try to pack light so it is alot easier to do self assist.

Unless you have to fly out and it is necessary to be in a big hurry...why rush and make it "an ordeal"?

I am still on vacation and I make the last morning a part of the relaxation that I have enjoyed for my week.

I put my bags out the night before...why would I want to wrestle luggage for the long walk to the terminal....

I give my steward a few bucks to leave my carry on there...have a leisurely breakfast in the dining room...go up and catch a few more rays and let everyone else get all tense and complain about how awful disembarkation is...when all that is over, I take the walk through the terminal...grab my bags because its easy once everyone else gets theirs...makes it easy to find...grab a porter, hit customs, get in my car and go!

It seems to me the people make it suck not the process...jmho:cool:

Unless you have to fly out and it is necessary to be in a big hurry...why rush and make it "an ordeal"?

I can't speak for the OP, but when debarking from Tampa on a weekday my wife and I "rush" off so that we can get to work and save a precious vacation day. On other cruises, we "rush" so that we can get home and get on with our lives. There's nothing to do on debarkation day anyway. We get breakfast delivered to the room about an hour before the scheduled self-debark time, and we're ready to go.

Archived