Just back from the Jewel 2/6

MultiSync

Your pictures are wonderful! Thank-you for taking the time to share your vacation with us. We sail on the Jewel very soon and so enjoyed your slideshow! Where did you do your snorkeling?

Who was the CD? If it was Karen M., is she as bad as everyone has said ,in your opinion? She has gotten reviews worse than the Ranch Steak.

No, we also sailed on the sailing (and sadly, it's over! :()

Don't know where Karen M went but from all reports I've heard in the last few months, she wasn't missed. The CD was Jill Tasker and she was very enthusiastic. She transferred from the Adventure the day we boarded, so she was getting a real shake-down. Fortunately, she had a pretty good staff who she said kept her straight with "Go here...do that...don't miss this...this is here on this ship...etc" We got to talk with her for about 5 minutes on Thursday after the West End to Broadway show. She was very enthusiastic and we thought she did well.

It didn't seem like there was anyone on your cruise! How many ppl were there?

Also, way off subject, but whats the game quest? I have been on a lot of cruises, and still dont konw what it is. its weird because i try to participate in everything that requires participants.

Yes, we put out a call for M&M and very few people responded. Our group (which was 56 guests for dc-diva's wedding) included dc-diva, mmcruise and DH, JerseyNick. Other than that, we only heard from about 4-5 other posters and none of them communicated with us about meeting on-board.

However, there were 2219 booked passengers on board (2100 is the regular double-occupency complement with 2500 max)

As for quest, I don't know as DW and I decided not to go, but from the very brief intro that the CD gave at the end of one of the shows, it sounds like a "Let's Make A Deal" kind of thing where people have to present/make/find/bring different things to get prizes.

Was the water cold? Were there huge waves?

thanks,

DW who is always cold found the water cold both days we were in the ocean (Tuesday in Cozumel we went to Chakanaab for the Royal Dolphion Swim and Thursday in GC we went to Stingray City) but she enjoyed herself...she just shivered the whole time until she could get out, get dry and sit in the sun.

I, who is usually warm, found the water about right. After the Royal Dolphin Swim (well worth the money by booking directly with Dolphin Discovery), we went to the beach at Chakanaab and after lunch, I went back in to snorkel for about 40 min. I found the water to be just right and about body temperature. It was warm enough that I didn't get cold and cool enough that I didn't really get warm and/or sweat much that I could notice. The wind was chilly, so the trick was to keep your body in the water and you were fine. The cold part was when the wind started evaporating the body heat out of you. Same for Stingray City on GC.

The waves were relatively quiet most of the week (for the ocean) until Friday our Sea Day. That day, the swells were in the 8-10 feet range and the ship was rolling quite a bit. The wind was also very strong and the combination meant a lot of people losing their footing on-board and various activities were closed (like the rock climbin wall :( ) But, the sun was out and it was still a glorious day and still lots to do.

dc-snoopy did you travel with multi-sync?

did you see my question - where did you buy the gingerforce tablets at?

thanks!

We were on the same cruise and we think we saw them on-board, but we didn't meet multi-sync and his companion. We were travelling with dc-diva for her wedding (along with 56 others) and JerseyNick and mmcruise.

I've been running a thread called "JOS Western Caribbean 2/6/2005 diary" and I already answered the GingerForce question there. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3019257#post3019257

Thanks for all the nice comments...here are a few answers.

CCJB - We snorkeled in Grand Cayman. We took the Nautilus Undersea Tour & Reef Snorkel (GCL). We thought this was a great tour. The boat has underwater windows which is where the pictures were taken from. The water was wonderful and everyone had a very good time.

Don M. - as dc-snoopy already said, the CD was Jill Tasker. I, however, was not that impressed. She was very friendly and seemed to put forward a good effort. Unfortunately she seemed to lack that charisma that you look for in a great CD.

Cruiser Guy - Many of my onboard pictures were taken right away when we got onboard the ship, which was about 11:45, so there were not too many people there yet. The Quest is an adult’s only scavenger hunt. Although I have never played, we could not help hearing the good time that everyone was having while we tried to play cards in the card room next door. (Very bad placement for a card room :( )

Napsterisback - The water was cool. If you tip toe in, it will seem quite cold...If you just jump in and stay in...it's not bad. Almost no waves at all until the last day. As dc-snoopy said, 8-10 foot swells is what the captain said...I would have guessed higher.

Cruzingduo - The beach that we went to (pictures 43 - 57) was Playa San Francisco in Cozumel. I highly recommend it. It was a $12 cab ride from International Pier. No admission fee. $20 for a bucket of beer. Many different things to do including a pool and massages. The inflatable mountain and the water trampoline that you see are actually from the next beach over which does have an admission fee. We were very pleased with the relaxing time that we spent there and would go back in a heart-beat. Pictures 66-75 were all from the beach right at the pier in Costa Maya. Nothing too exciting, but any time I can lay around in the sun on a lounge chair, I can not complain.

DC Snoopy or Multi Synch-

We are on the Jewel 3/6/05. Travelling w/college age sons, 22 and 24. How dressy were the "formal" nights? Boys and husband just planned to wear a sport coat and tie. How was the entertainment? We are hoping that since that week is spring break for a lot of colleges, that there would be a lot of young adults on our sailing. Hope the dress code might be a bit "relaxed". Thanks!

First off, every cruise varies depending on the people that are on the ship. However, on our 2/6 sailing, I would say about 80-90% of the patrons at the late seating were wearing suit or tux. Of the remaining 10-20% there was a wide variety. A few sports coats/ties, but quite a few in smart casual or casual. I saw a few without coats wearing dress shirt and slacks.

You should wear as formal as you feel comfortable wearing. One additional note was that despite the extremely high level of formal attire, I don't think people paid too much attention to the more casual diners.

I would love to know if you have been on any of the voyager ships and what your thoughts are vs. the Jewel. She looks like a beautiful ship. Just wondering if you missed the promanade and space. also if there is more motion on a smaller ship that the voyager size. Pool space....too little or ok.

Thanks.

If anyone is still interested.....I looked for Gingerforce tabs on the internet. The cheapest (with shipping) price I found was on e-bay for $18.99 for 60 gelcaps. Other places were a cheaper base price, but with shipping, ended up being more. Now I'm ready for my next cruise and for any stomach upsets in between!

We're on the March 6 voyage. We have really appreciated the pictures and reviews we've found here on CC. This is our first cruise, and after reading these boards, we're feeling a lot more knowledgable---thanks to all of you! Now, we're just counting the days!

Archived