what info is on the key card?

Katie4410

My roommates and I are going on the Caribbean Princess from March 5-12 (20 days away!!!) and unfortunately we're not 21--two of us are 20 and the third is 19. I've been reading that you pay with your room key--so I'm wondering what information is on the card, and what information "comes up" when your key is scanned (if any). Has anyone ever been "rejected" once their card is scanned (and the drink is probably already poured)?

thanks ahead of time!

Katie:

Your card includes all your credit card information and the electronic program that opens your stateroom door. It's color will also will show that you are under 21. It is programed so that when you go on and off the ship, it will bring up the photo they take when you come on board for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Shar

I thought that the card only contains your portfolio number, not your credit card number. I thought that the portfolio number is cross-referenced with your credit card number which is in their billing computer. Wrong???

I would think that it is highly unlikely that your credit card number is on the card. I think the only info that is on it is: Name, Room #, Portfolio ( if different) and a link to the Photo ID machine. Howver, I'm sure that Princess could confirm the facts for peace of mind.

I'm sure that there would be nothing on the card that could be used to damage you financially if the card got in the wrong hands.

Peter

No I don't believe the color of your card will be different than other first time cruisers on Princess. Last year my nieces were both 19 and 20 and their cards didn't look different. The legal drinking age on Princess is 21, but I'm really not sure how the bartenders know?? I do know they were served liquor.

On our Royal Caribbean cruise last year my son's girlfriend was 19 but her card actually had one or two holes punched in it, so it did look different. From 18 to 21 you are allowed to order only beer and wine.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but last year my underage daughter's card had a capital "M" for Minor someplace on the face of the card, which was in this case, gold, just like mine and DH's. So they would have known before they poured a drink that she was underage.

From 18 to 21 you are allowed to order only beer and wine

Can someone confirm whether that is true? I thought it was NO alcohol full stop for anyone under 21.

I'm interested as both my sons are over 18 (but under 21... one being just a few months off) and they abide by the rules of the ship (a condition of my paying for them to come along in the first place). However, here in Britain they are legally allowed to drink so they find it a tad frustrating they can't have the odd beer on the cruise. I'd appreciate some clarification if you have it.

BTW in the past their cards have a hole punched in it to identify they are underage.

The only difference between my card and my 20 Year Old daughter's card was mine had the letter A on the bottom right hand side. Hers and her girlfriend.had nothing. I looked at the others in our group. The Adults had the A the kids had nothing. I was told by a bartender that was how they could verify if someone was under age (A for Adult). I am looking at my card from the 1/8 CB as I write this. It has the Name of the ship, Passenger Name, Cabin #, Dates of Cruise, Dining Room Assignment, Sailing Number and letter "A".

BTW the color of the card is your Captains Circle status on Princess. Blue 1st time Princess Cruiser, Gold for Gold Status ect...

Thanks Mike... that's what I thought the rule was. Soda cards for them then :D

Ourlol - I've just looked up my Princess Cruise Answer Book and it says - "only those passengers 21 years and older will be allowed to purchase or consume alcohol. For those whose age is questionable, picture identification may be requested." In other words, if they look old enough and you use your card, not theirs, to order the drinks I'm sure that they would be OK.

Peter in Sussex

Can someone confirm whether that is true? I thought it was NO alcohol full stop for anyone under 21.

I'm interested as both my sons are over 18 (but under 21... one being just a few months off) and they abide by the rules of the ship (a condition of my paying for them to come along in the first place). However, here in Britain they are legally allowed to drink so they find it a tad frustrating they can't have the odd beer on the cruise. I'd appreciate some clarification if you have it.

BTW in the past their cards have a hole punched in it to identify they are underage.

Why don't you just call Princess directly and ask them??? I can't figure out why people don't just call the cruise lines for exact answers.

From Princess Patter, Sunday, Jan. 23, 2005:

"Shipboard Beverage Policy

Passengers under 21 years of age will not be served alcoholic beverages. Please understand that you may be required to show identification indicating date of birth."

We were in Skywalkers one night and the bartender asked a girl for photo ID with DOB. She didn't have it with her and said she had to go back to her cabin for her drivers license. She never came back, so we assumed she was underage and the bartender "caught" her.

On our Royal Caribbean cruise last year my son's girlfriend was 19 but her card actually had one or two holes punched in it, so it did look different. From 18 to 21 you are allowed to order only beer and wine.

ourlol-

As you can see I said that on our Royal Caribbean cruise they were allowed to order beer and wine from 18 to 21. We were on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, not on a Princess ship. I also had stated that Princess' legal drinking age is 21.

Gosh... I've got myself into a right pickle!! :o

Beachlovergirl

I realise now you were referring to RCI. It was my mistake for reading the thread too quickly. My apologies.

Gator83

The reason I posed the question in the first place was because I had “wrongly” interpreted a comment, which I believed to be in conflict with the 'correct' information. I was also aware that ringing Princess (here in the UK) and asking the question about 18-21 year olds drinking alcohol might be viewed more sympathetically (purely because of our more relaxed laws) than if had I rung Princess in the US. Having now made that call, as per your suggestion, my suspicions were proved to be correct having been advised "Whilst the 'official' line is NO - my sons need to be over 21 to drink alcohol - should I choose to give them a glass of wine with dinner etc, then that was up to me”. This advice naturally conflicts with the policy of the ship - so in this instance I believe the correct information has been found on the CC boards.

So that no one misconstrues my intentions. I am VERY aware this tends to be a contentious subject and also very conscious that a good percentage of passengers on board will be American and that your laws on alcohol and those onboard differ from ours. My enquiry therefore was not an attempt on my part to flaunt the rules.

Katie

According to Princess there will be nothing written on the card to identify you as under 21. However, as soon as the card is swiped/scanned i.e. at a bar or in a shop - the till will identify you as a minor. Remember too, that a member of staff found to be serving alcohol to anyone underage runs the risk of losing their job. It would be in no ones interests to serve you. Don't let this spoil your holiday. By choice I don’t drink (I don’t like the taste) but I still have a great time, as will you. These last few days - just 18 to go - will fly by. You and your friends will have an absolute ball. Be safe and have fun.

Laura

Archived