Excursions in Panama

audekat

I am looking at a Cruise on The Freedom with my Family. My dad is very interested in the Panama Canal.

Does any one have any recommendations for a really great tour/excursion the includes the canal?

by the way, we will have my son (infant) with us and my dad is in his 60's but very able to walk around and climb stairs.

How long is the 2 oceans by rail, is there time after for any thing else?

I think it was an 5 or 6 hour tour and well worth it. There is really nothing else to do in Colon. Not a very safe port outside the port area.

Go to the ports of call section of CC and read about it.

We have taken the "Two Oceans by Rail". It is very informative and takes you right along the canal. You also get to tour the Mira Flores locks. The rail cars have A/C and very comfortable. There is a guide in each rail car.

The very best tour, it is long but worth every penny. When you return there will be no need to see anything else, you see so much. I had extensive pictures from this tour in our cruise journals link below. Pick the cruise on the Liberty in 2008 ( Panama and the excursion start on page 14 of the journal if you want to skip ahead) - I have pictures of the entire tour from start to finish. One of the best tours we ever took - I believe it was $99 / person in 2008

We took the tour that had a ferry going thru the canal. Pricey but well worth it. We ate lunch as the canal was filling up. Priceless!! It was a tour sold by Carnival. You take the bus to the canal and then board a ferry that goes thru the canal and you get out at a port on the other side. Took quite a few hours. Sure was informative.

If your Dad would like to get a partial transit of the Canal as opposed to just visiting the Locks, then the tour on the ferry is the way to go. This is actually a patial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut, this portion of the Canal has a great deal to see. You will lock through both Pacific Locks and transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of the excavation occurred during the French and U.S. construction of the Canal. As a bonus you will also get to see the beginnings of the excavation of the new third set of locks.

Archived