Once was a Silversea poster

Alipius

But this will be my last Post.

Two-three years ago, I did 7-day cruises each year on the Whisper in the Mediterranean and, as a result, well and truly joined the Silversea Fan Club. You know what I mean: the joy in later seeing some of the souvenier toiletries in the bathroom, and swizzle-sticks from the Bar in your kitchen, and using the annual Brochure as a “where will we go to next so that our lives can be truly joyful” read-a-while on a Saturday afternoon by the fire etc. You didn’t even consider that there was any other Cruise Line. And the postings you have all put up on the Silversea-area happily confirmed this.

(And I then did Arctic in the PAII: but this ship is totally superior and entirely different to anything else in the Silversea fleet.)

But, then came December-January 2010 in the Indian Ocean for 26 days on the Silver Wind.

Alas, after getting off, I couldn’t have been dragged back onto that boat.

But, as Plato said: there’s a perfect World out there somewhere and I now have absolutely no doubt, for Cruisers , it’s Captain Larsen and the Crew of the Seabourn Pride – and, indeed, overall, the very ship itself.

The 200 or so who just got of the ship in Bangkok on 3 September after a 12-day cruise from Shanghai would wonder, to a man/woman, how you could possibly question it.

I thought I was going (simply for the destinations) on a less-than-Silversea Cruise. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Superb food, wine beyond my expectations, cocktails of Tokyo-bar standard, unequalled service at all times, cabins which are the best I have ever seen and a joy de vie within the passengers and a crew unequalled in panache and good humour; and all led by a 42 yo Dane; who, while he may have also been ‘eye-candy’ for the ladies, the men too liked and admired: i.e., he came to Team Trivia in the middle of the day one day just to ask one question; he competed in the Tug-o-War at mid-day on the top deck in full uniform against the (much-loved) CD to the laughter-filled applause of all; and, again in full uniform, up to his waist in the surf, on the beach at Ko Kood, poured out Champagne to the lined-up Ladies – again to the intense joy of us all.

The Brochures don’t prepare you for this!

Bye-bye and thank you Cruisecritic: I’ve since learnt all I need to know – and I pass on this, in sincere gratitude, to those who have kindly informed me before.

As a former frequent sailor on SS (and still occasional one....I have one booked for 2011) I can attest to the accuracy of Alipius' report. Though there are many similarities between the two lines, it's the staff that makes the difference.

While I'm much relieved to read the OP's review, I can't help but scratch my head at how positive the review is compared to the last four reviews that have been posted on CC about the Seabourn Pride. I'm much relieved because we have an upcoming trip on the Pride and I was getting discouraged by what I had read. My question, though, is that the reviews referred to the poor quality of wines poured (someone likened it to "two buck chuck") as well as inconsistent food quality and service. Did you purchase upgraded wine, or were you satisfied with what was being poured. Other's have complained about inability to get a reservation for the alternative restaurant - did you have any issues at all?

I have to agree about the fabulous crew on the Spirit. After beginning our cruising on the Legend, my husband and I found an opportunity in November 09 for a different itenerary on the Spirit and reluctantly moved our reservation. But when we were onboard the Spirit, it was the happiest cruise ever. I wanted to take Tomas, in charge of room service, home with us. I felt like a second mom to him. Not to mention the rest of the fantastic crew, all wonderful. There's just nothing like a Seabourn cruise.

I do need to add, however; that we went back to the Legend in the spring with a bit of sadness, knowing we would miss the Spirit crew. And then, it was also a faulous cruise with a wonderful joyful crew and the best pastry chef, Agi, And the Executive Chef Thorsten Sengutta was so visible. He was everywhere, always checking over things with his friendly smile. We just haven't had a bad Seabourn cruise.

Now we look forward to the November crossing on the Legend, but we'll be back on the Spirit in spring 2011. We feel that Seabourn is a part of our family. Life is very good.

Ginger

We took our 1st cruise with SB in March 08 and our children now complain that we spend too much time with SB but they know that we are looked after so well that we just keep returning again and again.

We had the pleasure of spending 6 weeks on the Pride in Asia midyear and we didn't have any major problems.

But we have learnt to ask for the R2 schedule when we board so that we can book 24-48hrs in advance.

We keep a good cellar at home and we know that we won't get that quality of wine on SB but we travel to visit new places, meet new people and enjoy the experiences. If we want "fine" wines even at home we expect to pay at least $100.00 per bottle.If we find a wine we enjoy on board then we ask for that whenever possible, there were restocking problems in Asia although not as bad as the Amazon where the Spirit ran out of house champagne and had to serve Perrier Jouet for the last few days - the things I suffer.

Yes, any resteraunt can be hit or miss including five star ones and I'm sure we have all experienced that even at home, if we have a problem we just get a replacement meal which is never a problem.

We always feel as if we are returning to visit good friends when we get on board SB and as you can see from my signature, we intend to be visiting SB a couple more times next year.

Jean

Archived